• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#141 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Why? Will Smith be the lucky recipient of a brain transplant?

Some defensemen just think the game better than others. DeKeyser looks like one of those types. So while he might stumble next year like you say, he still clearly has a fundamental understanding of the defensive side of the game. Smith hasn't really shown that at any level--and he doesn't produce like Letang or Karlsson either.

And some defensemen look like rock stars when they play alongside a wall like DeKeyser. Be patient.

He better be the next Scottf****** Niedermayer or Drewf****** Doughty or Niklasf****** Kronwall or whatever idealized comparison the Wings scouting staff/Hockey prospects journalists have touted by that time or else you're gonna get it!  Corey Perry style. 

He will. Trust me. Babs is high on this guy for a reason.

#142 Tatonka

Tatonka

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

wasn't this guy drafted in 2007? I mean how long does one need to not single handled cost his team the most important games of the season?

#143 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

wasn't this guy drafted in 2007? I mean how long does one need to not single handled cost his team the most important games of the season?

You mean the dman with the most goals and points on the team?

#144 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

2008. He was still in college at that point. This is his first season in the NHL.

I can't remember any rookie who screwed up this much.  

He's not exactly 18 years old either.  I thought this guy was overripe.  

Your beloved Lilja was a catastrophe machine, and he was much more experienced.

I have been a lurker for a long time, but after watching smith this playoff season, and then tonight, to see him single handedly give up two goals.. to start the third and watch him with his head down on the bench.. if he is in the lineup on Wednesday, the coaches are asking to lose. I feel like the guy has been part of well over 50% of the goals scored on the wings in the last two series.. he is just too much of a liability at this point.. get him the hell out of there.

Four. Four goals. And he has helped to create two.

Why? Will Smith be the lucky recipient of a brain transplant?

Some defensemen just think the game better than others. DeKeyser looks like one of those types. So while he might stumble next year like you say, he still clearly has a fundamental understanding of the defensive side of the game. Smith hasn't really shown that at any level--and he doesn't produce like Letang or Karlsson either.

DeKeyser is unusual amongst rookies. He was poised and ready for the NHL game immediately. This is not the case with a good number of rookies. How soon people forget that Kronwall and Ericsson were both turnover machines in their early years. And I doubt most people here have been watching long enough to remember that Lidstrom, when he first came into the league, was anticipated mostly for his offensive abilities and was by no means a dynamo on defense.

Patience, people.

#145 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm getting serious déjà vu. Flash back to last season and I'm reading about how terrible Ericsson is.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#146 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

And I doubt most people here have been watching long enough to remember that Lidstrom, when he first came into the league, was anticipated mostly for his offensive abilities and was by no means a dynamo on defense.

I was born in '91...so I wouldn't know. But I'm really curious, what was your take on Lidstrom when he came into the league?

I find it hard to believe he didn't look like a very, very smart player--even in his rookie year.

#147 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

I was born in '91...so I wouldn't know. But I'm really curious, what was your take on Lidstrom when he came into the league?

I find it hard to believe he didn't look like a very, very smart player--even in his rookie year.

From what I recall he was very respectable his first few years in the NHL...Played with the late Brad McCrimmon who was a steady stay at home Dman, and probably helped Nick out alot more than what many of us can remember.

He really didn't get recognised until he was paired with Larry Murphy...The rest is history.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#148 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hockey is a team game.  Did Smith blow it on those 2 goals in the 3rd?  Absolutely.  How come no one is blaming Cola for shooting hte puck with his head down to a player who was right in his lane which led to a breakaway?  Howard did not even move on the penalty shot goal.  Players make mistakes.  Some make more than others.  Smith is being beat up all the time for all his mistakes.  However no one gives the kid credit when he creates a goal with an excellent play.  This is his first FULL season in the NHL and he is learning by fire.  We all act like it's only rookies who make mistakes.  Plenty of veterans screw up as well.  I am not saying Smith's gaffes are not worth criticizing.  But the Wings lost that game for a variety of reasons.  Howard could not make a save in the 3rd when we needed it.  Pav and Z cannot get on the scoresheet.  Flip and Mule are terrible.  Abs cannot capitalize when he gets the chance.  Cola is showing he is not very good.  The D these entire playoffs turns the puck over WAY too much. 

This Wings team is doing the best they can.  We do not match the Hawks in terms of talent and it shows.  Their newly made 2nd line is giving us fits.  We had the chance to put the Hawks away with a PP after Crawford gave up a backbreaking goal and we could not do it.  Playoff hockey is about momentum and we do not have it right now.  I feel bad for Smith because I believe he is going to be one of the best dmen in the league someday.  Most dmen don't become very good right away.

I just don't want Smith to be made the scapegoat all the time when plenty of his teammates are getting little to no blame.  It isn't fair and it's also the easy thing to do.  I think Smith is going to have a great Game 7 and I believe in the kid.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#149 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

^ This X 10

There are always going to be negative people that look for the negatives in everything around them... some people always need something to b*tch about...

Smith will be a number 2-3 defenseman in a couple years, and even then he WILL make mistakes... Let the kid play and learn from his mistakes!

#150 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

I stand by this thread. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#151 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'm not for trading Smith, and I think he will grow into what he is expected to be, but I would be happy to see his precious minutes reduced or see him ride the pine next game. It may be true we win as a team and lose as one as well but if you were to see the weak point to be fixed Smith is it on D. Waaaaaay to many huge mistakes for the kid.

#152 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Smith is like a Ferrari without an engine. Most people will see Kenny post it on eBay and be like "Well, there must be something wrong with it." I will be hoping for that one GM that is like "F*ck! That's a Ferrari. Here's a bunch of money!" (aka prospects and a 2nd liner to replace Cleary).

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#153 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Smith is far too young to be giving up on him.  The guy is 24 years old and playing in his first full NHL season.  Sure he's making mistakes, I would expect him to.  He's gaining invaluable NHL playoff experience playing in these pressure games right now.  He won't get that experience sitting in the pressbox.  This will pay off big time down the line when we're ranked higher and not having to plow through the 1st and 2nd seeds in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

#154 krsmith17

krsmith17

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Smith is like a Ferrari without an engine. Most people will see Kenny post it on eBay and be like "Well, there must be something wrong with it." I will be hoping for that one GM that is like "F*ck! That's a Ferrari. Here's a bunch of money!" (aka prospects and a 2nd liner to replace Cleary).

Great analogy... But once that Ferrari is restored it's still a Ferrari... Point is, you would regret trading away Smith in a few years. Luckily for you and the rest of the wannabe GM's on here you will not have the chance to have such a regret because you are not in the position to make such knee jerk decisions and thankfully Kenny is such an outstanding GM and sees the future of a player not just how he is playing today.

I'm willing to bet you were one of the many people on here saying trade Ericsson too. I've been defending many of our players (including Ericsson) and for the most part I have been right in my assessments. Not saying I don't occasionally hate on a player but I don't immediately say "trade him". Players make mistakes, play bad games and go through rough patches just like everyone else.

#155 hattrickz331

hattrickz331

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

kenny is Not a great GM. he has made this team a soft european team. wait til next year when they play in the east with teams like boston and philly.

it's time 2 gets some size on this team. like chicago, they have skilled players like kane, toews, sharp and hossa. but they have bickel and shaw.

we have floaters like frazen, a guy with nice size, but is as soft as they come.

#156 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

The same Flyers who missed the playoffs?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#157 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Trading Smith is an overreaction.  However, I have to say, his blatant mistakes are getting difficult to tolerate game after game.  Yes, he's young, no he doesn't have Nick Lidstrom.  It isn't even just on the goals.  How many times has he given the puck away?  Kronwall, Ericsson, Lilja...yes, they all had difficult games and poor stretches, but I can't recall a defenseman who has had so many mistakes in such a short amount of time leading directly to goals.

In the regular season, I had no problem seeing lots of Smith and the other young players.  But, we made the playoffs, surprised the Ducks and there we were on the brink of the WCF.  Its not the time to be getting your feet wet. 

At this stage of the game, it's clearly too late to put Ian White in, but I don't get the free pass Smith is getting.  When Lashoff couldn't cut it, he was sent back to GR.  I really don't think Lashoff played as poorly as Smith.  I like the offensive upside that he has and I'm confident in the future he will be a decent defenseman, but he's painful to watch at times.

Losing now won't be gravy and I won't see it as a positive.  After being up 3-1, we should be resting for the next round, not looking at a game 7.  No, it is NOT all Brendan Smith's fault, but he sure hasn't helped any.  The Wings are where they are in spite of him, not because of him.

#158 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

I can't imagine any of us feel worse than he does, but I have to wonder how effectively he is being coached. There are some fundamental issues here that can be corrected. Play simple and smart. Either he is a complete ditz, nervous beyond belief or is not being coached and mentored very well.

#159 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Smyth by far was the worst player on the ice, in the series, and perhaps the entire playoffs. He deserves all the s*** he gets, he played terrible.  But he's young and he is like every other Wings dman through the system looks like bust to most.  In about 2/3 years he will be praised. 

Right now he should be slapped though

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#160 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I can't imagine any of us feel worse than he does, but I have to wonder how effectively he is being coached. There are some fundamental issues here that can be corrected. Play simple and smart. Either he is a complete ditz, nervous beyond belief or is not being coached and mentored very well.

I can't tell on television if he feels bad or not, but I really don't care.  What difference does it make to me if he's crying alone in a dark room after the game or blowing up wads of cash like Evander Kane on Twitter?  I'm a fan.  Watching him piss away Game 1 hurt MY feelings.  The fact that we couldn't close out Chicago at home leading 2-1 going into the 3rd period makes ME upset.  I could care less about Brendan Smith's feelings right now.

You could tell me that Brendan Smith might be a Top 4 defenseman some day, and that this is part of the growing process, and that all might be true.  That doesn't change the fact that this is the worst individual defensive performance on the Red Wings since I can't even remember when.  Yes, Ericsson has been a goat in the past.  There was also reason to expect that he'd be a late bloomer (drafted as a forward, long lanky body more difficult to coordinate, spoiled by playing early with Lidstrom, etc.).  Ericsson was never THIS bad.  It's basically a running bit me and my brother have this series - you might not even know who's on the ice, but as soon as a complete defensive screw-up happens: "Okay, what did #2 do wrong on that one". 

I would say that his goal in Game 2 (which happened because he was pinching and in which Zetterberg did all the work) was the "worst thing that could have happened", except that with White as the only available alternative, Smith was never going to sit.  White has been pain in the ass since his "60%" comments during the lockout and basically demanding to be traded after they started scratching him.  Still, it's impossible to believe that a half-interested Ian White could be this bad.

I'm not interested in what happens to Smith right now.  We can worry about that in July.  I just want to win Game 7, and it seems like the more Smith is on the ice, the less of a chance there is of that happening.