• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Broadcasters referencing Michigan schools/Michigan in general

Rate this topic

Maybe it is because I always take not when I hear it, but does it seem to you guys that whenever a local guy (whether from Michigan or from a Michigan university) is playing a nationally televised game, the broadcasters tend to point them out?

For example, Doc Emrick always seems to mention Abby and Mills coming from State. Pierre just mentioned Torey Krug is from Livonia/MSU.

When watching Rangers games, Hagelin from UofM is always mentioned.

You guys hear this?

Because it is always important to point out when a player has attended the best university in the history of the world (Hagelin), and equally as important to point out when players come from other, subpar universities within the state of Michigan. It helps us judge people's worth as human beings.

tumblr_mba2otZmPD1qd7m3to1_1280_zpsa1349

True story. :cool::boxing:

Because it is always important to point out when a player has attended the best university in the history of the world (Hagelin), and equally as important to point out when players come from other, subpar universities within the state of Michigan. It helps us judge people's worth as human beings.

tumblr_mba2otZmPD1qd7m3to1_1280_zpsa1349

True story. :cool::boxing:

Pffffffffffffffffffffft GO GREEN! ;)

All Pierre does is mention where guys went to school, played juniors, started in the minors and who coached them in peewees. Guy adds nothing of value to any broadcast he's a part of.

He's trying to educate a non hockey audience on some of the typical background of how a player comes up through the ranks. It is quite different than the other pro sports in many ways. But, I do mostly agree with you since he does it over and over in such a superficial "I just looked at Wikipedia" way that it adds very little to the broadcast. Now if Pierre wants to narrate some highlight clips of players in college or juniors, that's different. But he shant, because NBC would never give up precious commercial time for that.

C'mon, they do play a wild game of "Guess the Squirt" at least once a game.

Oh boy, look at this picture of a kid in hockey gear. Who could it be?

Hey, it's Kirk Maltby. I heard he scored 50 goals in juniors.

Now if Pierre wants to narrate some highlight clips of players in college or juniors, that's different. But he shant, because NBC would never give up precious commercial time for that.

It may not be that influential, just because it doesn't dictate where a player will actually play in college, or juniors BUT last time I checked (about a month ago) Michigan is #2 behind Minnesota in registered USA hockey players. Michigan and Minnesota basically make up majority of hockey players, as other states are simply categorized within location, "Mid-West, Atlantic, etc." When we have so many players coming out of two states, you're more prone to hearing about those states when dealing with national broadcast, if that makes any sense.