Should we bring Tootoo in for game 4?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

As much as I would love to see Tootoo in to wipe the ice clean with Bickell and Shaw, putting him in after the implosion of the Hawks last game would only show a sign that you mean to be more aggressive and that would draw unwanted attention to your team thus resulting in a penalty every time Tootoo even looked at a Hawk....

Dickell and Shaw had their fun, coach Q will have to keep them under control now.  I just loved Z laughing at Shaw.  

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#22 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Id be all for it if Miller/ Eaves didn't score a goal in this last game. I think the weakest guy on the team right now is Clearey, but he hasn't been playing badly at all.

Don't mess with it.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#23 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think the Wings could work the Hawks right now with how the line ups stand.  I like Tootoo a lot, but you just can't change success against such a dangerous team at this point. 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

In a word: no. This lineup is playing very well.

#25 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nope. Why do people think Tootoo is good? Emmerton, Eaves, Miller>>>> Tootoo

#26 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Nope. Why do people think Tootoo is good? Emmerton, Eaves, Miller>>>> Tootoo

For me, that's too far. He's been very good for us. He's been energy when we need it, grit when we need it. I just don't feel he's what we need right now.

#27 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

No.  Unless injury, never F*** with a winning lineup. 

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 21 May 2013 - 12:07 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#28 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes let's fight and take penalties, why stop with Tootoo? Lets see if we can bring up a goon from the minors too!!! Are you kidding me? This is the playoffs, we don't need a heavy. Did anyone touch Pavel not with Abby skating around. Bring in Tootoo for who? Miller nope Emdog nope Eaves nope Cleary nope. Teams fine don't change a thing. 26 hits in 2 periods 6 from Abby stay hard on their D.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

as much as i've missed toots in the lineup, i agree with the vast majority that says no. the lineup is playing great as is and with plenty of agression too. don't fix it if it hasn't broken yet. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#30 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Im as big of Tootoo fan as u can be here and would love to see him just because I love his game and energy and attitude BUT....

With that being said I think the game the Hawks are playing would make it very tuff for #22 to keep skating away laffing like Cleary does.
As fun as it would be to see Toots mutilate a Hawk, thats exactly what they want and he may even pick up an extra 10 the way the refs are seeing things.

Ive noticed this for years and years....our team never pulls the cheap excessive bulls*** that every team pulls on us instead we just skate away...thats the Redwing way and I love that aspect to our game.

Make no mistake, the league knows we are NOT the same ole Wings though and can thrash if needed. The young guys swarm the net when people get near Jimmy, cNt tell you how happy that makes me.

#31 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

No. We need Cleary he's pissing them off immensely. We need all our fourth line. Pk masters. Our third line is dominant. So that leaves Abby fil franzen or pav or z. Soo no. I love toots. But Abby Cleary smith big rig will enforce next game. Q will stay out of it because of his jaw. Hence not dropping the gloves hen getting manhandled after the whistle last game. Maybe he's not as dumb as he looks.

I love Tootoo but Miller, Eaves, and even Emmerton are better penalty killers than he is. I would sub him for Cleary if I had to choose but only because I think Cleary is sore from the Winnik hit + the Seabrook shove into the net + the way he plays.  

#32 raidedredwing2

raidedredwing2

The Heart of a Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

I honestly thought Tootoo would be a regular for the Wings, it wouldnt suprise me to see him traded in the offseason, expecially if he is riding the bench.

#19 will forever hang in the Rafters of The Joe Louis Arena

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

I honestly thought Tootoo would be a regular for the Wings, it wouldnt suprise me to see him traded in the offseason, expecially if he is riding the bench.

played 42 games out of 48 in the season, thats pretty regular if you ask me. Babs wanted more discipline for the playoffs, thats why tootsis out.

#34 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

played 42 games out of 48 in the season, thats pretty regular if you ask me. Babs wanted more discipline for the playoffs, thats why tootsis out.

The thing is, we're paying him nearly 2 million/yr.  I enjoy having a presence like him around, but that might be a little much to pay if he can't play regularly in the playoffs.  I guess it's not an issue until we get closer to the cap, but it's something to keep in mind.

Edited by Zetts, 21 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Which was part of my problem when they signed him.  He hardly played for Nashville last playoffs too.  That says something about his defensive ability given he does bring energy and a level of physicality. 

Though he didn't dive much and I don't remember any cheapshots, $1.9 mill for 3 years is still a lot for a guy who plays 10 minutes a night and sits in the press box come playoff time. 

#36 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

In 2011-12 Toots played the most regular season games of his career, 77. He only played 3 games in the playoffs. The season before, 2010-11, he played in all 12 playoff games.

Apparently, Trotz and Babs have similar thoughts about his usefulness in the playoffs.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#37 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't see that.  Tootoo brings energy to the garden-variety games.   They need someone to ramp it up and bring extra spark on the average Tuesday in February against the Panthers (or equally boring game where it's hard to get psyched up, but we still need the two points).

No one needs motivation to get ramped up during the playoffs. 

Regular season games need a player with some edge and energy.  During the playoffs, everyone has edge and energy.

If we had faced a team of dirty players out there pile-driving our players and getting away with it, Toots would be out there to "keep the flies off".  As it is, despite some questionable hits from other teams which may or may not have been called, no one is out banging Z's head into anything as time expires.

Yet.

If that sort of thing happens, and the guys who are on the ice can't handle it, then bring Tootoo in for one game to sort things out. 

During the regular season, you need to send a message to all of the other teams that you won't stand for such things.  During the playoffs, you battle one team at a time, and react to what that particular team is doing at that particular time. 

At this point, the Hawks haven't been doing anything that requires getting a fighter out there, and the Wings, aside from being gassed in game 1, haven't needed the extra energy.

For all we know, he's being like Downey in 2008 and providing the on-going encouragement during practice and down-times, and being the team's positive cheer-leader and motivator, as well as providing depth in the event of injury.

Side note from Hamsterland:  Yes, Andrew is the full name of Drew.  The late, great hamster (who died the day the playoffs started) was addressed as Drew, as is the man on the ice who recently scored a goal.

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I've been a critic of Babs not playing Tootoo regularly throughout the playoffs, but there is no reason to change the lines after a big win, especially since Eaves and Miller scored yesterday.

Seeing Bickell run around after the whistles and stuff yesterday was especially humorous, considering he had 1 fight in 48 regular season games this season. The guy is built, and he's effective when he plays a physical style, but he's a fake. 8 career NHL fights.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

My one cent says NO.

I like Tootoo but just isn't his time right now.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 21 May 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him dressed.  I can understand if Babcock doesn't want to mess with a winning lineup, though.  But you never know with Babcock.  He changed stuff up in the Anaheim series, even when we were winning.  

My biggest beef is that we're tougher than Chicago on paper, but our guys looked unwilling to oblige yesterday.  When Bickell is crosschecking Kronwall or Cleary repeatedly after the play, I'd love to see Ericsson step in there.  He's fought much tougher guys before.

Players like Quincey, Smith and Abby should also be willing to oblige.  We're not playing against the '82 Flyers here, to be intimidated of anyone on their team.    

Yes let's fight and take penalties, why stop with Tootoo? Lets see if we can bring up a goon from the minors too!!! Are you kidding me? This is the playoffs, we don't need a heavy. Did anyone touch Pavel not with Abby skating around. Bring in Tootoo for who? Miller nope Emdog nope Eaves nope Cleary nope. Teams fine don't change a thing. 26 hits in 2 periods 6 from Abby stay hard on their D.

Tootoo doesn't take that many penalties.  We have people like Smith and Quincey taking stupid penalties all the time.  Abby too. 

Everyone thinks a guy who fights is automatically undisciplined and takes dumb penalties all the time.  Same crap everyone said about Downey, when nothing of the sort was true.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.