• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Namingway

Report: Roy Appointed Avalanche Coach

Rate this topic

Of course, but coaches have to come from somewhere. I'd say Dale Hunter did pretty well coming from the OHL. Roy will have the experience of coaching younger players, which will help as the Avalanche develop.

I also think he was put into a much better position. Av's also have a rookie GM, worse team and younger player

Oh you mean this incident?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3311529

His kid actually ended up pleading guilty to an assault charge for it. Between that & the $5000 check he ponied up to charity, he was let go with a discharge & no criminal record.

Yeah exactly. This is the quote that I remembered.

On video, it appeared that Patrick Roy gestured to his son from the bench before Jonathan made a beeline for Nadeau.

What a lunatic.

Big gamble for Colorado. If Roy is unable to turn the team around, it puts management into the position of possibly having to fire him.

Imagine Colorado having to fire the goalie who backboned them to two Stanley Cups.

Roy is pretty tight with Sakic, so this doesn't surprise me. I was really hoping they would take a run at George Gwozdecky, But that's always a gamble too, bringing a college coach to the professional ranks. I agree that this is more of a PR stunt, Avs are losing many of their fair weather fan base :-)

Is he doing it for the lawlz? Cause if my crystal ball is worth the sand it's made of, I see this making Gretzky as the Yotes coach look like a good idea.

Guest Crymson

Well, Dater just tweeted that Wah's brother has deleted his Facebook page. So it may not be a done deal...

I don't see the connection.

Yeah but think about it. If the wings were struggling like the Avs and they brought in Yzerman and Lids to coach how would you feel? =)

That being a great player in no way shape or form translates into being a great coach.

Guest Crymson

That being a great player in no way shape or form translates into being a great coach.

Ultimate case in point: Wayne Gretzky.

Roy has done pretty well as Coach/GM of the Ramparts for what...8 years now? It worked for Babs....he was in the WHL for 8 years before making the jump, wasn't he?

From Flames coach Bob Hartley:

“He’s gonna be different than a lot of them because along with a lot of talent he had a fantastic attention to detail,” predicts Hartley. “Coaching is all about details. Patrick never sat on his talent. He’d have a bad game and I’d be driving home from the game with a smile on my face because I knew we’d have a good chance to win the next 10. The next morning the lion would come out of his cage and he’d be on the ice 45 minutes before everybody else, he’d have sat in the video room an hour before everybody else, watching the goals he’d given up, punching the walls. When we started on the ice, he’d skate by me and say ‘I won’t give up that kind of goal again for a long, long time.’ And all I’d say is: ‘I know.’

“He’s the best winner I’ve ever coached. It’s not for me to say what will happen, but for him, in Colorado, it’s a natural.

Sportsnet Link