Photo
- - - - -

Babcock tells players they are soft. Pushes them to play better.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Article I saw posted elsewhere, figured it would be a good discussion here.

http://sports.yahoo....-184636304.html

Asked if he ever hated Babcock, Kindl didn’t hesitate.

“Oh, yeah,” he said. “I’m sure I’m not the only one who hated him. He’s hard. When things don’t go well, he doesn’t like you. He’s telling you, ‘How soft are you?’ Stuff like that. But in the long run, it’s always helped me out. It always kind of give me the motivation to get better and work on stuff.”

Babcock will tell you he gives the veterans their space, and that’s true. He holds fewer meetings with them. Players will tell you that he harder on the veterans, and that’s true, too. He has higher expectations of them because of their experience level.

“There’s definitely a lot of the vets where he’ll still come down on them,” Smith said. “He won’t coddle them or hold their hand.”

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#2 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

cant wait for 24/7

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Its working!

#4 chuckdee

chuckdee

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Great coaches aren't just x's and o's guys, they're master motivators.  Stay on 'em.

#5 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't think Scotty was really well "liked" either for alot of the same reasons... he was very well respected and listened to though and that is what is required. Dave Lewis seemed to be opposite and had basically the same team Scotty did but crashed the team hard when it mattered.... Used to drive me insane to see Lewis on the bench emotionless and saying nothing, i wondered if he even had a mouth at times.

Babcock is proving right now just how good of a coach he is! Keep on 'em Babs!

#6 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

I like picturing Babs saying "how soft are you?" to players.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#7 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

whatever he is doing is working, so keep doing it babs. As long as you don't start bitching to the media like Torts...

#8 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I thought this part was interesting as well.

He has clashed with management this season, too, about how certain players are used and the composition of the roster, often issuing public reminders of how much less he has at his disposal.

It's certainly seemed like some of Babcock's comments regarding his roster weren't meant solely for reporters.

All the injuries this season are certainly looking like a blessing in disguise given how the young guys are playing now, considering many wouldn't have been given the chance if not for the depleted lineup.

#9 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

All the injuries this season are certainly looking like a blessing in disguise given how the young guys are playing now, considering many wouldn't have been given the chance if not for the depleted lineup.

This year has been crazy like that. Before you had your Maltbys and Drapers log-jamming the line-up. We'd see one maybe two rookies at a time. I'm not sure if our success is from how over-ripe these players had become playing in the minors or what.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#10 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

One of my favorite post game interviews by a coach.  Best moment at 0:47...."Tha Sof"

ENJOY THE RIDE

#11 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

If we win this series against the Hawks, it will be because Babs outcoached Quenneville. Babs has pushed our guys to be able to answer the Hawks and beat them twice, and if he keeps it up I think we can topple the Hawks and win this series. It is scary to see how everyone has responded, and also how Zetterberg has stepped up to lead this team. This playoff run has far exceeded my expectations, but Babs is a prime reason for it. And to think he was passed up for the Jack Adams award... tsk tsk.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn, 21 May 2013 - 03:49 PM.

40 for life.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think Babcock could beat up any other coach.

#13 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I can't remember the quote, but what was it that Bowman told Holmstrom after he made the team?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#14 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Brunner actually even made a hit last night. Funny stat Kane has 0 hits in the playoffs. Brunner should fight him.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#15 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

I can't remember the quote, but what was it that Bowman told Holmstrom after he made the team?

As I recall, Homer started out as #15 but had to give it up after his 1st year when Minorov came along.  He asked to be given #96.  Bowman asked why.  Homer told him, "That's the year I came to America."  Bowman reportedly told him, (paraphrase) "Well you might as well take 98, because that's the year you're going back."

Aside from grade school, where they had to be a bit nicer because you were learning, coaches are always whatever combination of harsh and encouraging that they think will work best on players as individuals and as a team.

When you need finesse, you speak more quietly.  When you need more brute force and all-out hard work, you ramp up your intensity to match the output you want.

My dad coached jv football and golf.  There was quite the difference in temperament between the sports.  I don't think he ever yelled in golf, not even when a kid nailed the side of his pickup.

#16 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

As I recall, Homer started out as #15 but had to give it up after his 1st year when Minorov came along.  He asked to be given #96.  Bowman asked why.  Homer told him, "That's the year I came to America."  Bowman reportedly told him, (paraphrase) "Well you might as well take 98, because that's the year you're going back."

Yeah, that one.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#17 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

If anyone doesn't think Babcock is a great coach at this point, they're out of their mind. This team should not be doing as well as they are, let's be real. Players don't just manifest the kind of success we're having right now. Great coaching plays a HUGE factor in a team's playoff success. I've always thought he was a great coach, and the best choice for the Wings right now. He's not the best at managing the goalies in my opinion, but no one's perfect.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#18 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

cant wait for 24/7

Oh man I hope they still have it, with six outdoor games now and all.  Has anyone seen or heard anything about it? I'll be so disappointed if they don't have it with the Wings/Leafs.  I've been looking forward to it with the Wings since they started.

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Soft, you say?

jiri+hudler.jpg

PRETTY.png

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Lord, that picture of Filppula, haha. Anyway, Babs is a great coach. His lineups infuriated me but he knew something I didn't. This is working and it's because of those head-scratching decisions. I was wrong. He had the big picture in mind and it worked.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.