• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumnj

Babcock tells players they are soft. Pushes them to play better.

Rate this topic

Article I saw posted elsewhere, figured it would be a good discussion here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--babcock-keeps-pushing-red-wings-in-perhaps-his-best-coaching-job-ever-184636304.html

Asked if he ever hated Babcock, Kindl didn’t hesitate.

“Oh, yeah,” he said. “I’m sure I’m not the only one who hated him. He’s hard. When things don’t go well, he doesn’t like you. He’s telling you, ‘How soft are you?’ Stuff like that. But in the long run, it’s always helped me out. It always kind of give me the motivation to get better and work on stuff.”

Babcock will tell you he gives the veterans their space, and that’s true. He holds fewer meetings with them. Players will tell you that he harder on the veterans, and that’s true, too. He has higher expectations of them because of their experience level.

“There’s definitely a lot of the vets where he’ll still come down on them,” Smith said. “He won’t coddle them or hold their hand.”

Great coaches aren't just x's and o's guys, they're master motivators. Stay on 'em.

I don't think Scotty was really well "liked" either for alot of the same reasons... he was very well respected and listened to though and that is what is required. Dave Lewis seemed to be opposite and had basically the same team Scotty did but crashed the team hard when it mattered.... Used to drive me insane to see Lewis on the bench emotionless and saying nothing, i wondered if he even had a mouth at times.

Babcock is proving right now just how good of a coach he is! Keep on 'em Babs!

I thought this part was interesting as well.

He has clashed with management this season, too, about how certain players are used and the composition of the roster, often issuing public reminders of how much less he has at his disposal.

It's certainly seemed like some of Babcock's comments regarding his roster weren't meant solely for reporters.

All the injuries this season are certainly looking like a blessing in disguise given how the young guys are playing now, considering many wouldn't have been given the chance if not for the depleted lineup.

All the injuries this season are certainly looking like a blessing in disguise given how the young guys are playing now, considering many wouldn't have been given the chance if not for the depleted lineup.

This year has been crazy like that. Before you had your Maltbys and Drapers log-jamming the line-up. We'd see one maybe two rookies at a time. I'm not sure if our success is from how over-ripe these players had become playing in the minors or what.

If we win this series against the Hawks, it will be because Babs outcoached Quenneville. Babs has pushed our guys to be able to answer the Hawks and beat them twice, and if he keeps it up I think we can topple the Hawks and win this series. It is scary to see how everyone has responded, and also how Zetterberg has stepped up to lead this team. This playoff run has far exceeded my expectations, but Babs is a prime reason for it. And to think he was passed up for the Jack Adams award... tsk tsk.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn

I can't remember the quote, but what was it that Bowman told Holmstrom after he made the team?

As I recall, Homer started out as #15 but had to give it up after his 1st year when Minorov came along. He asked to be given #96. Bowman asked why. Homer told him, "That's the year I came to America." Bowman reportedly told him, (paraphrase) "Well you might as well take 98, because that's the year you're going back."

Aside from grade school, where they had to be a bit nicer because you were learning, coaches are always whatever combination of harsh and encouraging that they think will work best on players as individuals and as a team.

When you need finesse, you speak more quietly. When you need more brute force and all-out hard work, you ramp up your intensity to match the output you want.

My dad coached jv football and golf. There was quite the difference in temperament between the sports. I don't think he ever yelled in golf, not even when a kid nailed the side of his pickup.

As I recall, Homer started out as #15 but had to give it up after his 1st year when Minorov came along. He asked to be given #96. Bowman asked why. Homer told him, "That's the year I came to America." Bowman reportedly told him, (paraphrase) "Well you might as well take 98, because that's the year you're going back."

Yeah, that one.

If anyone doesn't think Babcock is a great coach at this point, they're out of their mind. This team should not be doing as well as they are, let's be real. Players don't just manifest the kind of success we're having right now. Great coaching plays a HUGE factor in a team's playoff success. I've always thought he was a great coach, and the best choice for the Wings right now. He's not the best at managing the goalies in my opinion, but no one's perfect.

cant wait for 24/7

Oh man I hope they still have it, with six outdoor games now and all. Has anyone seen or heard anything about it? I'll be so disappointed if they don't have it with the Wings/Leafs. I've been looking forward to it with the Wings since they started.

Lord, that picture of Filppula, haha. Anyway, Babs is a great coach. His lineups infuriated me but he knew something I didn't. This is working and it's because of those head-scratching decisions. I was wrong. He had the big picture in mind and it worked.

Brunner actually even made a hit last night. Funny stat Kane has 0 hits in the playoffs. Brunner should fight him.

If its one I am thinking of, I think that was like first hit I have seen on Kane all series. I saw someone hit him near top of the circle to the left of Jimmy. Been wanting someone to get an open ice hit on Kane for awhile now, mostly just see near misses on the boards.