• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rhah

Dats has no talent according to this guy?

Rate this topic

This guy is on CBC? Some comments say Glenn Healy? How do they still pay him to analyze after he makes obviously erroneous comments like this?

The only thing he could possibly have meant to say is that Dats wasn't given too much size...but its his talent AND hard working that makes him a perennial Selke finalist and top scorer in the league.

Saw this thread over on hfboards. It is former NHL (and WMU) goaltender Glenn Healy.

He's not a great commentator but he was trying to give Dats a compliment about how hard he works, it just doesn't come out quite right. I don't think he was trying to insult him or anything. He just picked a terrible player as an example for Detroit not having as much skill as Chicago.

Ok, thinking on this... I think he didn't get across what he meant very well. He must think that Dats worked hard to hone his skills and wasn't just blessed by God with hockey skills. Sorry for the inflammatory headline.

Guest Crymson

A writer from Puck Daddy ripped him a new one for this. I like the caption he used on the title picture: "Pavel Datsyuk tries his darnedest to succeed despite his obvious shortcomings." It's actually a hilarious article; check it out:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/pavel-datsyuk-may-not-naturally-gifted-works-hard-162930954.html

Edited by Crymson

I see what he's trying to say, but it just came across badly. Datsyuk may look flashy a lot, but it's a result of hard work more than God-given talent IMO. Just because he makes it look easy during games doesn't mean it's not a result of years of hard work in practice.

The comment works a lot better for Zetterberg though, since he's no where near as flashy as Datsyuk. Z's a guy who's not the greatest skater, isn't very big, and doesn't have the greatest shot. Yet, he still dominates because of his incredible work ethic and hockey sense. Then again, I think a lot of this is true with Pavel as well, which is what Healy probably meant.

A writer from Puck Daddy ripped him a new one for this. I like the caption he used on the title picture: "Pavel Datsyuk tries his darnedest to succeed despite his obvious shortcomings." It's actually a hilarious article; check it out:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/pavel-datsyuk-may-not-naturally-gifted-works-hard-162930954.html

I actually came here just to post this. I agree that I think Healy just worded it poorly because nobody in their right mind would claim he isn't talented but the puck daddy article killed me.

"Pavel Datsyuk tries his darnedest to succeed despite his obvious shortcomings."

That had me proper LOLing :lol:

Now, if he'd said Pavel was small, skinny, anaemic and bow-legged, but works hard to overcome that, he'd have a point.

Conpletely misunderstood. He meant that Datsyuk was not just born with every talent but works very hard as well. Healey is a Wings/babcock fan. He just didnt articulate himself very well.

I think so too, you see the reaction from the rest of the guys is kind of like "haha...um wtf?" and then they must realize he trips over his words regularly, and give him a pass and move on.

Pretty stupid though. Like NBC stupid.

When I heard it, I thought he was being sarcastic, but then I don't listen to him enough to judge. It was the way he emphasized "all".

The article was funny.

In my personal opinion, I believe that Datsyuk has talent. I also believe that water is wet and that zebras are not native to Nova Scotia.

If you want to say something nice, it helps if you say it in a way that makes sense. Apparently this guy hasn't learned that lesson yet. Or something/

Saw this thread over on hfboards. It is former NHL (and WMU) goaltender Glenn Healy.

He's not a great commentator but he was trying to give Dats a compliment about how hard he works, it just doesn't come out quite right. I don't think he was trying to insult him or anything. He just picked a terrible player as an example for Detroit not having as much skill as Chicago.

What that loudmouth goof Healy should have said is the Wings may not have as much talent as the Hawks, but Datsyuk is a top talent in the league, is a perennial Selke finalist and can do things that most people can't even dream of with the puck. Healy is a king of backhanded compliments.

Haha. My favorite quote: "Or maybe Healy thinks Pavel Datsyuk is Justin Abdelkader"