• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

97.1 The Ticket: Hocketown "Dead"?

Rate this topic

^ This....

I find Valenti and Foster entertaining for other reason's than NHL talk. Very informative NFL and College talk. BUT that being said, they complain that they don't get enough interest in Red Wings topics and press the dial tone noise when making fun of the lack of callers talking about Red Wings... My opinion is, they do not enjoy talking about the Red Wings or the NHL, they RARELY have topics on it and have made their own bed with it. When I know that they really do not like talking about Hockey, why would I waste my ONE call per week calling them to talk about Hockey? I would rather talk to Caputo, Regner or K & A about Hockey, they are just that much more into it and are more knowledgeable about it.

Would I like to hear hockey talk in prime time? Sure! But they have made it well known they don't like talking about it and then they make fun and say that we are bandwagon fans or Hockeytown is dead...if I am a bandwagon fan, then my ass must be nailed to the seat because I have been riding this wagon since 1979...

They actually had an hour segment after game 3 about the non-goal controversy, and all Valenti could lament is that Wings fans can't admit that that was a lucky call going our way, we just would say that is was a no goal and that is it. When brought up several times that we agreed it was a bad call, but didn't care about the controversy because of all the Holmstrom no-goal calls over the years, all Mike could say that "we aren't talking 15 years ago when there was a rule about standing in the crease..." Well even when told that Homer was getting goals waived off even in his last year playing which obviously wasn't 15 years ago, he still would not listen to it...we are just whiners who can't admit the goal should have stood.

Valenti, 99% of us agree it was a bad call, but s*** happens! We (The Wings) have lived with it more than any other team in the NHL and have forged through it! If Chicago loses this series and continues to belly ache about this one missed call, then they have a TON of maturing to do in this league! Calls are made and calls are blown...we have lived with it and they can too!

OP, If you want to listen to good talk about NFL and College, then Valenti and Foster are the guys to listen to. You will get better NHL talk from Oprah Winfrey...

JR put it best, the goal should have counted, but the first goal shouldn't have....and that my friend is why the goal was waived off, they screwed us on the first goal and when the second goal was even remotely close to being interference, it was called off... IT HAPPENS!

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Playmaker

^ This....

I find Valenti and Foster entertaining for other reason's than NHL talk. Very informative NFL and College talk. BUT that being said, they complain that they don't get enough interest in Red Wings topics and press the dial tone noise when making fun of the lack of callers talking about Red Wings... My opinion is, they do not enjoy talking about the Red Wings or the NHL, they RARELY have topics on it and have made their own bed with it. When I know that they really do not like talking about Hockey, why would I waste my ONE call per week calling them to talk about Hockey? I would rather talk to Caputo, Regner or K & A about Hockey, they are just that much more into it and are more knowledgeable about it.

Would I like to hear hockey talk in prime time? Sure! But they have made it well known they don't like talking about it and then they make fun and say that we are bandwagon fans or Hockeytown is dead...if I am a bandwagon fan, then my ass must be nailed to the seat because I have been riding this wagon since 1979...

They actually had an hour segment after game 3 about the non-goal controversy, and all Valenti could lament is that Wings fans can't admit that that was a lucky call going our way, we just would say that is was a no goal and that is it. When brought up several times that we agreed it was a bad call, but didn't care about the controversy because of all the Holmstrom no-goal calls over the years, all Mike could say that "we aren't talking 15 years ago when there was a rule about standing in the crease..." Well even when told that Homer was getting goals waived off even in his last year playing which obviously wasn't 15 years ago, he still would not listen to it...we are just whiners who can't admit the goal should have stood.

Valenti, 99% of us agree it was a bad call, but s*** happens! We (The Wings) have lived with it more than any other team in the NHL and have forged through it! If Chicago loses this series and continues to belly ache about this one missed call, then they have a TON of maturing to do in this league! Calls are made and calls are blown...we have lived with it and they can too!

OP, If you want to listen to good talk about NFL and College, then Valenti and Foster are the guys to listen to. You will get better NHL talk from Oprah Winfrey...

JR put it best, the goal should have counted, but the first goal shouldn't have....and that my friend is why the goal was waived off, they screwed us on the first goal and when the second goal was even remotely close to being interference, it was called off... IT HAPPENS!

Wings fans are still griping about the no goal against Anaheim. Every team thinks their team gets all the bad calls. So if Wings fans are "living with it", you could have fooled me. It's been mentioned numerous times. The call was certainly a game changer, and if had happend to the team I cheer for, I can't say I'd be too pleased. I don't disagree with Valenti. The Wings got a break, it was a questionable call and move on from there. The Holmstrom calls over the years are irrelevent to the Game 3 goal.

Wings fans are still griping about the no goal against Anaheim. Every team thinks their team gets all the bad calls. So if Wings fans are "living with it", you could have fooled me. It's been mentioned numerous times. The call was certainly a game changer, and if had happend to the team I cheer for, I can't say I'd be too pleased. I don't disagree with Valenti. The Wings got a break, it was a questionable call and move on from there. The Holmstrom calls over the years are irrelevent to the Game 3 goal.

They are irrelevant to game 3 sure, but they are very relevant to the way the Wings fans look at the game 3 goal...just as much as that was a game changer for us, the no goal against Anaheim was a game series changer for them. Same situation. The Wings have suffered enough of those blown calls that they feel its about time they got one in their favor. That is why they aren't feeling sorry for the Chicago fans. Welcome to the club Chicago, we feel ya, but can't reach ya!

Trying to get a Wings fan to change their mindset about this goal would be like trying to get a Chicago fan to change their mindset about their 1st goal...the informative fans probably say the same things about that goal as we do about theirs non-goal..."it happens, it was a missed call and Kane's goal shouldn't have even happened, but it did." They blew that call and they blew the no goal. If they would have called the penalty before Kane's goal, they wouldn't have gotten them momentum and the no goal wouldn't have even happened...It's my opinion if the penalty was called, the game ends in a shutout... BTW, refs blew TONS of calls all game long. I was particularly pissed at the flying elbow to Smith's chin in the 1st that wasn't even called a penalty NOR reviewed by the NHL...it was a headhunting BLATENT hit. But, he wasn't injured (or faked the injury) so it isn't suspension worthy....

Edited by LeftWinger

They are irrelevant to game 3 sure, but they are very relevant to the way the Wings fans look at the game 3 goal...just as much as that was a game changer for us, the no goal against Anaheim was a game series changer for them. Same situation. The Wings have suffered enough of those blown calls that they feel its about time they got one in their favor. That is why they aren't feeling sorry for the Chicago fans. Welcome to the club Chicago, we feel ya, but can't reach ya!

Trying to get a Wings fan to change their mindset about this goal would be like trying to get a Chicago fan to change their mindset about their 1st goal...the informative fans probably say the same things about that goal as we do about theirs non-goal..."it happens, it was a missed call and Kane's goal shouldn't have even happened, but it did." They blew that call and they blew the no goal. If they would have called the penalty before Kane's goal, they wouldn't have gotten them momentum and the no goal wouldn't have even happened...It's my opinion if the penalty was called, the game ends in a shutout... BTW, refs blew TONS of calls all game long. I was particularly pissed at the flying elbow to Smith's chin in the 1st that wasn't even called a penalty NOR reviewed by the NHL...it was a headhunting BLATENT hit. But, he wasn't injured (or faked the injury) so it isn't suspension worthy....

Can I get an AMEN!?!

On the 97.1 topic, I understand that a lot of people don't listen to talk radio, period, and don't expect much out of a national CBS affiliate. I have SiriusXM and listen to tons of podcasts. Message boards obviously have replaced a lot of the desire people have to congregate and discuss/complain about their team. But it's not like the radio show doesn't have callers and listeners, so it probably says something if they aren't interested in the Wings. That "something" might just be that the hosts are a couple of tools who are only interested in discussing whatever they consider to be the "most popular" contact at a time. Half the time I tune in, that topic is something like Kwame, which isn't even sports at all.

But if not there, then where? Can anyone name a better audio format for immediate Red Wings discussion and reaction? Especially given that they're the channel that promotes and broadcasts Wings games?

The Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast had a pretty good discussion on Game 3. Wyshynski took a bunch of heat on Twitter for basically stating the obvious, which is that the refs messed up the Shaw interference call, and that "two wrongs don't make a right" with the missed illegal hit on Franzen that led to the Kane goal. He also said that it's stupid and non-sensical for Wings fans to pretend like they are "owed" a bad call because of all the years of bad calls against Holmstrom (and other crap, like "intent to blow").

I agree with Wyshynski, except I don't think any sane fan actually thinks the Wings were owed that call as "compensation for past wrongs". My argument would be: "Yep, they got it wrong, but since that happens to everyone, stop complaining and just overcome it". You could look to 20 other things that explain why CHI is down 2-1 in this series besides one bad call, ranging from Toews' absence to Crawford's crappy rebound control, to better physicality/role player play by Detroit.

Edited by StormJH1

I echo the statements that 97.1 is pretty B-side, but Valenti is simply good at what he does (the guy can talk), and the station as a whole is just too easy to listen to as opposed to jumping through hoops to listen to national podcasts and the like.

Further, “Hockeytown” is simply a name that is trademarked and owned by the organization and the Mr. I. Never saw it as anything more than that, just a marketing tool. Does the town deserve the label? Maybe. Are there places that rival it? Sure. Doesn’t really affect it for me.

Basically everyone can talk and talk and talk but I’ll still be a Wings fan either way so they can keep on.

Go Wings.

I honestly don't think the phone lines die down because people don't want to talk about the Wings on their show. I think most (but not all) sports radio shows pander to the lowest common denominator. Basically, the shows are stupid. It's typically a couple of blowhards shouting other each other and occasionally spitting out the odd catch phrase. So basically it's PTI on the radio. As such, if you're a sports fan but you're not an idiot you stay away from those shows as much as possible. And since the shows attract idiots, it makes sense that they would want to talk about the sports easiest for idiots to follow...e.g. the NFL and NBA. Why talk about gametime decisions, line combinations, strategy, etc. when you can talk about endzone dancing, arrest records, drug use, and on and on and on. Sensationalism attracts idiots, and there are a lot of idiots with opinions on dumb things. Don't believe me? Ask yourself why reality tv exists, or why the comments section on any Mlive.com article is mind numbingly stupid.

It's too bad too, because both the NBA and the NFL used to have a good product. But in trying to expand their fanbase they tapped into the demographic most detrimental to any organization...idiots. Idiots love spectacle, and that's what those sports have turned into, and that's what sports radio has to sell to keep listeners.

Valenti & Foster say this all the time, yet when McCarty did some fill-in time on their show awhile back the phone lines were lit up with hockey fans. Hockey just isn't their thing. I just get the impression that they don't know much about it, let alone the Red Wings considering Valenti isn't even from Michigan, he's from New York. They're more about NFL/NCAA football and some Tigers talk.

I have noticed more hockey talk in the later hours on Caputo & Fithian with callers when I used to listen, especially if they bring in Ken Kal, but I honestly didn't like that show either just because of the hosts. I did like that Wings fans would call in and ask questions, getting educated about something by Ken. Very little drivel you'd usually hear about other topics that fans want to voice their opinion of, like some outrageous trade that will never happen for example.

Sports radio nationwide just stinks. I guarantee you almost every sports radio show makes their callers say a catch phrase like "Hey, love you love the show" or "First time, long time." and they play a stupid sound clip followed by an awkward pause by the caller, then continues on to babble his idiocy about anything sports related before being cut off by the smug, condescending radio host. I've never liked the atmosphere of it and I'm glad I stopped listening.

Sports talk radio is just awful...just yapping their opinion pandering to both sides of any argument and directing you to their webiste with todays ' thong of day'.

National is no better, same s*** day after day.

Actually this year there's been a lot more Red Wings talk than the previous years. I think it has to do more with drama. Normally the Wing's seasons are punch button and easily make the playoffs. No drama. This year not so much and hence the elevated talk about the Red Wings.

Guest Playmaker

Exactly. When there's a story, when there's something to talk about, the Wings will get talked about. Just like any other team or story.

I knew straight from the title you were referring to Valenti. He is a professional troll. Any team (or sport for that matter) he does not personally support he craps all over it and then personally insults anyone who dares to have a differing opinion. I absolutely refuse to listen to Valenti when he brings up Michigan football or basketball. I know he is going spout off some complete nonsense that has no place in reality, while giving his favorite teams/players (Michigan State and Boston) a pass.

Valenti and Foster also strategically screen their calls to ensure their positions appear to the be only sound and reasoned positions in an argument. Notice that known of the callers ever take them to town. They will hang up on the caller and insult them if one gets through.

Valenti is in the same category as Drew Sharp in terms of intelligent opinions and arguments. He is good at his job, which is attracting foaming at the mouth listeners.

Karsch and Anderson is a better show with more informed and mature opinions. Even though Karsch is employed by Michigan Athletics, he is not afraid to call the university out. Karsch is one of the few MSU grads I respect in the media.

Edited by Ozzy318

I don't know about down state, but up here in Mt. Pleasant it seemed like everybody and their sisters were out for the game last night. Bars were packed and people were going nuts for every big save, penalty kill, goal, etc. Maybe hockeytown isn't getting it done like in the past...maybe. But up here in Northern Michigan s***s getting wild on game night.

What I expect out of 97.1 when i turn it on, say after a 2-0 win like last night is ripping howard, and hating on the wings because they didnt score 5 or more goals, have 3 fights, and the crowd didn't climb the glass and start fighting blackhawks. I feel like they say s*** just to get people on the phone lines. When it comes to Hockey, they are clueless, and what I'm also finding out is so are the people that call in.

Guest Playmaker

What I expect out of 97.1 when i turn it on, say after a 2-0 win like last night is ripping howard, and hating on the wings because they didnt score 5 or more goals, have 3 fights, and the crowd didn't climb the glass and start fighting blackhawks. I feel like they say s*** just to get people on the phone lines. When it comes to Hockey, they are clueless, and what I'm also finding out is so are the people that call in.

This.

I knew straight from the title you were referring to Valenti. He is a professional troll. Any team (or sport for that matter) he does not personally support he craps all over it and then personally insults anyone who dares to have a differing opinion. I absolutely refuse to listen to Valenti when he brings up Michigan football or basketball. I know he is going spout off some complete nonsense that has no place in reality, while giving his favorite teams/players (Michigan State and Boston) a pass.

I actually don't hate Valenti's overall "act", and I'm a Michigan grad! I follow him on Twitter, and I've seen him harder on MSU that the vast majority of the State fans, and I've seen him praise Michigan where appropriate. It doesn't even bother me that media personnel have inherent biases, so long as they own up to that. Along those lines, I suppose if he makes it regularly clear that hockey isn't his thing, then so be it.

I just reject the premise that this isn't a big sports story right now. While the Tigers have been good, the only other Detroit championship in a "major sport" since 1990 was the '04 Pistons, and that team is just a disaster right now (and also not playing). What the Red Wings are doing right now is a huge HOCKEY story in both U.S. and Canadian national media outlets, so I think V & F are delusional if they think there isn't a critical mass of Detroiters that are consumed by it also.

I actually don't hate Valenti's overall "act", and I'm a Michigan grad! I follow him on Twitter, and I've seen him harder on MSU that the vast majority of the State fans, and I've seen him praise Michigan where appropriate. It doesn't even bother me that media personnel have inherent biases, so long as they own up to that. Along those lines, I suppose if he makes it regularly clear that hockey isn't his thing, then so be it.

I just reject the premise that this isn't a big sports story right now. While the Tigers have been good, the only other Detroit championship in a "major sport" since 1990 was the '04 Pistons, and that team is just a disaster right now (and also not playing). What the Red Wings are doing right now is a huge HOCKEY story in both U.S. and Canadian national media outlets, so I think V & F are delusional if they think there isn't a critical mass of Detroiters that are consumed by it also.

Critical mass of Detroiters does not necessarily equal their listening audience though.

And lets be honest now. Valenti is not a troll or an idiot. The guy knows his stuff and he can be an ******* but he is pretty fair. He gives credit when credit is due and he blasts when it's due.

Where is Art Regner when you need him, he would talk hockey all the time, even had his own show that just talked wings, ice time I do believe. Years ago though back when sports radio had a soul and wasn't as coperatate and nationally driven even from a local perspective.

Egads, there has to be some middle ground. Regner was a total Wings slappy. The guy was a male puck bunny.

97.1 is pure garbage when it comes to hockey talk. I quit calling in and listening daily because they blatantly would rather talk about anything else than the red wings. They legitimize this by doing the dial tone thing, but they create almost a hostile environment for any real knowledgeable fan. Why would I want to talk to some trolls that don't even know or like hockey to begin with?

The only good talk there is immediately after a big win, that's it.

As someone who listens to this station on a regular basis the new yorker and Foster are the only ones i dont listen too for the simple fact that in my opinion they know absolutly nothing about hockey. The new yorker even admits that. So why should i call or text hosts who know absolutly nothing about hockey. The people I trust on that station is Karsch and Anderson, and Caputo. Dan Leach and Riger are good too.