11 replies to this topic

#1 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Story

Holland is Babcock's boss more than a decade after telling him that he wanted to lead the storied franchise on the ice while he was coaching a minor league team shared by Detroit and Anaheim. During the second intermission of a playoff game in 2002, Holland recalled Babcock telling him he wanted to be the next coach of the Red Wings.

"I don't hire interns,'' Holland said he told Babcock. "The next year, he knocked us out of the playoffs.'

Edited by MidMichSteve, 22 May 2013 - 05:30 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#2 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

That's awesome... who knows, that little exchange could have been the fuel on the fire for Babcock from a coaching perspective that led to the Ducks knocking us out of the playoffs.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

If we'd had Babcock, I think the Red Wings would have three-peated.

#4 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Something was rotten in the NHL in 1999... Just swept the Ducks, won the first two in Colorado, then lose 4 straight?  Something stunk about that and it still stinks...anyhow, I remember when Melrose was the coach at Adirondack and was pegged to be the Wings next coach behind Bryan Murray...then Bowman came along.  To this day, Melrose will ALWAYS go against the Wings for that reason.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#5 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Something was rotten in the NHL in 1999... Just swept the Ducks, won the first two in Colorado, then lose 4 straight?  Something stunk about that and it still stinks...anyhow, I remember when Melrose was the coach at Adirondack and was pegged to be the Wings next coach behind Bryan Murray...then Bowman came along.  To this day, Melrose will ALWAYS go against the Wings for that reason.

He picked them to upset the Ducks.  I don't get the inferiority complex that seems so prevelent here.  Everyone doesn't hate the Wings.

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

He picked them to upset the Ducks.  I don't get the inferiority complex that seems so prevelent here.  Everyone doesn't hate the Wings.

I must have missed that prediction....ok in the past, he religiously picked the Wings to lose....even when they were the best team in the NHL

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#7 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

He picked them to upset the Ducks.

Link

He did. He also Picked the 'Nucks over the Sharks in 6.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

In my experience, Melrose has never hesitated to vociferously praise the Wings when such is merited.

#9 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

I don't know what you mean by going against the Wings, but I do think Melrose would always pick the Sharks to win the SC it seemed. He seemed to get a lot of his picks wrong IIRC. Never heard him say anything bad about the Wings though, mostly praise.

#10 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Link

He did. He also Picked the 'Nucks over the Sharks in 6.

The bastard double dipped this year, I am trying to find it but Barry Melrose was on NHL network before the playoffs and said something to the extant of him liking the Wings chances for an upset but Ducks in 6.  It was a video on NHL.com...No matter how you slice the cake of Barry Melrose it still tastes like sh*t

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#11 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I remember we had a major lack of effort problem after Bowman left. Guys were playing soft and felt way too comfortable under Lewis. It's a shame we didn't bring this guy in sooner.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#12 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

vociferously

Niiiice.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!