• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FlashyG

WCSF Game 4 GDT- Blackhawks 0 @ Red Wings 2 - (DET leads series 3-1)

Rate this topic

So anybody else ready to concede that Kindl has the best point shot on the team? Aaaand he was hard along the boards last night. I liked his game. Then again I like everybody's game any time you win essentially every single puck battle and scoop up virtually every loose puck. Good game boys!

Post Script: Is Jonathan Ericsson the strongest man alive?

Edited by kipwinger

Hey all,

First time poster (long time lurker). Forgive me if this post belongs in a different thread. If so, MODs, please feel free to move it.

We can all praise our own guys (which I've been doing) and ripping on the Hawks' guys (which I've also been doing), but I think this game really illustrated just how outclassed Quenneville is in this matchup.

Now, I can't blame him for trying to switch up his lines for this game; he's just trying to spark something from a stagnant team.

But, as a Canadian watcher, the CBC commentators relayed the fact that he severely limited Seabrook's ice time in this game, and basically shut Kane down in the third period.

I'm all for sitting players down a bit to send a message, but it seems to me like, in this situation, you have to live or die with your star players. I know that Toews has been a no-show, that Kane has just dropped in for two brief moments to pot a couple of ultimately-non-consequential goals and that Hossa has been MIA since game one, but I think that Q fails to realize the Wings are just playing those guys incredibly well. If I'm the coach of Chicago, I just keep rolling them out there and hoping for a break or a bounce, because those guys are certainly the most likely players on the roster to create those types of situations.

To me, it's quite clear that the Wings are in Qs head. He's on the bench trying to concoct different lineups and throw less-proven guys into the fire to draw water from a rock. He's ignoring the fact that, regardless of the combinations, the Wings are taking the Hawks' stars out of this series and playing right into our hands by replacing his stars with role players. They're good role players, mind you, but not game breakers.

Anyways, I've rambled. This series thus far has been a testament to the will and ability of our players (and it's not over yet). IMO, this series has further solidified the fact that Babs is the best coach in the business and really highlighted the gap between the #1 coach and an at-best mediocre coach like Quenneville (don't even get me started on that Jack Adams nomination).

Let's go Wings. Here's to really sobering up that "Madhouse" on Saturday night with a series-clinching victory.

drew

Great post, Drew. Probably because I agree with most of it! Welcome, and keep coming back!

I'm not so sure that it's because Quenneville is a mediocre coach, he's a good coach, but he's doing what any coach would do...trying to free up guys. The problem is, EVERY Red Wing forward (aside for that lovable Brunner) plays good defense. He's mixing and matching trying to find open ice for these guys but the only way he's going to get any of his top line guys free is to try and get them out there against our third line and that opens up a world of hurt the other way when Pav or Hank's line is out against your third line guys.

In an interview earlier this week Quincey was talking about how Bab's has really preached "swarming" on defense, and not playing man on man. Right now Chicago has no answer for it and Quenneville is searching in vein for open ice.

The Hawks are a really really good team and I can see why they're the President's trophy winners this year, but unfortunately for them, their strategy doesn't match up well with our style of play. The forwards for the Hawks are putting a ton of pressure on our defense, but we have so much puck support with the forwards coming back, that its negating that pressure. Not everyone does what the Wings do, so I can see how Chicago would just tear other teams apart. Quenville needs to make an adjustment and either he isn't because he doesn't know what adjustment to make or Babcock is out coaching him badly. Either scenario is very likely.

Its great that we're winning this series, but the real gem coming out of all this, for us, is the fact that guys like Smith, Kindl, Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner are getting lots of playoff experience that will be invaluable years down the road. The fourth one is the hardest to win, so hopefully we'll be ready to go for Game 5 because there's going to be a huge storm at the beginning of that game and if Howie and Co and weather that storm, we'll be in good shape.

Guest RedWingsDad

Last five games for Howard: 1.67 GAA, .950 sv%.

Check out tough guy Bickell being unable to stand up:

I'm not trying to be all touchy feely, cuz im not that type of guy, but part of me feels bad when I see stuff like that. I don't think I've ever been shaken up to the point where I couldn't stand up without falling over... hope the guys OK.

That aside, that was an awesome hit and I was shocked that we didn't get a penalty called... we almost certainly would have been called for some non-sense if that happened in the regular season, interference, roughing, tripping, etc.

I'm not trying to be all touchy feely, cuz im not that type of guy, but part of me feels bad when I see stuff like that. I don't think I've ever been shaken up to the point where I couldn't stand up without falling over... hope the guys OK.

That aside, that was an awesome hit and I was shocked that we didn't get a penalty called... we almost certainly would have been called for some non-sense if that happened in the regular season, interference, roughing, tripping, etc.

The whole point was there was nothing remotely wrong with that hit. I mean you don't even have to watch it over and over again to figure if it was wrong or not.

The whole point was there was nothing remotely wrong with that hit. I mean you don't even have to watch it over and over again to figure if it was wrong or not.

Totally agree. (Clap, clap, clap...!)

It's comical to go through this thread and see how many posters here that were giving up on this team and calling out Holland, Babs etc...and now they are all " I love this team " , " I knew this team could play like this" ..makes me chuckle.

Guest RedWingsDad

Eh? Agreed, there was nothing wrong with the hit.

Wow, playoffs haven't tasted this sweet in a while. Great shut-down effort by the whole team. Zetterberg turned captain composure into a clown. Howard was a black hole. Babcock was coaching circles around Quenneville to the point that he was convinced benching his stars was the best move. What a phenomenal night. I am still smiling about it.

Again, Chicago, you picked an awesome time for your first losing streak. Let's keep it running to 4!!

Guest RedWingsDad

I wonder how banged up our guys are right now. I seen some of them take some big hits. Abby has taken more than his fair share, I’m surprised Cola wasn't injured when he flew into the net last night, Cleary, Kindle, Miller have also taken some awkward and hard hits.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest Hatethedrake!

Another great effort by the Wings! Is it just me or are Toews' little hissy fits getting old? Grow a pair for christ's sake. I was worried in the 1st period. Jimmy really saved us there. I was happy for Kindl. The guy has taken alot of abuse over the years. In the end he proved he is a capable NHL dman. Even though we're still turning over the puck too much, the all out hustle is awesome to watch. Remember last year we did not have a legit 4th line? Now we do! I love watching Miller and Eaves out there. Even the Emdog! HAHA Ericsson just keeps getting better and better doesn't he? He hit BIckell so hard, I don't think he knew where he was. Kane is invisible and so is Hossa. Sharp hasn't done much either. Lets keep it that way. I knew all season we could beat this team in the playoffs. The s***hawks are proving to be the front running frauds I always thought they were. All talent and no guts. Game 5 will be tough for us to win but I think we can do it! Jimmy is in the zone. The only other goalie who is playing at his level right now is Quick. I always wondered if Jimmy could steal us a game in the playoffs. Well I think we know the answer to that question now don't we? I will say it again...I am so proud of this Red Wings team. They are showing what they are made of and it's pretty damn special.

I'm pretty sure she knows about Parise.

You know what? I would personally like to see this kind of attitude about the wives/ladies left out of these conversations. I'm guessing they go through enough crap as it is. Thank you.

Anyone else feel like eliminating Chicago would be just as sweet as winning the cup?

I know what you mean, believe me. Very very gratifying.

But no, not as sweet as winning the Stanley Cup.

Edited by T.Low

Guest Crymson

Another great effort by the Wings! Is it just me or are Toews' little hissy fits getting old? Grow a pair for christ's sake.

I think it's funny how he was admiringly referred to as "Captain Serious" during the 2010 Cup run. Well, now he's Captain Useless. Or Captain Whine. Or whatever.

He should consider not wearing 19 anymore. He ain't fit to be aping the likes of Yzerman and Sakic.

Edited by Crymson

You know what? I would personally like to see this kind of attitude about the wives/ladies left out of these conversations. I'm guessing they go through enough crap as it is. Thank you.

Nothing distasteful was said about any of them....? Parise was the butt of that joke.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Toews has always been compared to Yzerman and I've never thought that was an accurate comparison. Certainly not now. I mean sure, Stevie would whine the odd time to the refs. But to flat out embarrass yourself, your team and your fans the way he did last night was pathetic. Does he really think the Wings have not been screwed by the refs in this series a few times? All he has to do is look at Game 3 when Franzen gets plastered into the boards from behind which led to a Chicago goal. You didn't see captain Hank whining to the refs. Heck even Mule didn't put on a hissy fit like Toews does each game. Mule even came back and set Dats up for a goal!

You would think that Toews who has won a Cup would know what it takes to win in the playoffs. How to set the tone for his own team. Even if you are being screwed you don't throw tantrums. Does he think he will get any calls go his way now that he has embarrassed the refs for 3 games in a row?

I love the resolve of the Wings and it all starts with Babs. He stayed calm and said the team would be ok after losing Game 1. He knew his team had no legs after playing a gruelling 7 game series vs Anaheim. The Hawks are so psyched out right now they don't know what the hell to do. If we can score the first goal on Saturday night, the Hawks balloon may pop for good. I get the feeling they are hanging by a thread right now. Quennville yelling at Crawford. Shaw running around at the end Game 3. Bickell getting rocked by Ericsson. Hank is showing the leader we all knew he was and is. Dats is amazing in all facets of the game. I knew we would go as far as Dats and Hank could carry us. They lead the way. But now I must say that Jimmy Howard is showing that he is a leader as well. Look how he held us in last night in the 1st period. He is getting better with each game. He kind of reminds me of Bill Ranford back in the 1990 playoffs for the Oilers.

No one expected them to win a Cup after Gretzky left in 1988. They beat the Jets in 7 games in the 1st round and then rolled from there getting better with each round. Ranford was the main reason why. So right now Hank is Messier and Jimmy is Ranford. The Oilers had a KID LINE. Mark Lamb and Joe Murphy (remember him Wings fans?) I want to say Adam Graves was the other guy. Or maybe it was Marty Gelinas? Long time ago. LOL We have a kid line of Andersson-Nyquist and Brunner. Ok so Brunner is not really a kid but he is an NHL rookie.

I don't know. I may be stretching here but this Wings team reminds me of the 1990 Edmonton Oilers. Lets hope we end up the same way as them!

Edited by Hatethedrake!