Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

WCSF Game 4 GDT- Blackhawks 0 @ Red Wings 2 - (DET leads series 3-1)

• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#841 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Just look at all the fun Ryan Suter is missing. Think he is enjoying his in-laws right about now? :D

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#842 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Babcock is just a genius. Never ever did I expect this team being up 3:1 against the Hawks.Also I don't understand the Suter hate, the guy wanted to play where his girlfriend is from and being able to play with his pal Parise nothing wrong with that, he doesn't owe the Wings anything.

Also I'd highly recommend not talking about a "what if" scenario first there is still a lot of work ahead of this team, winning game 5 in Chicago is not going to be an easy task.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#843 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Absolutely solid win tonight last night. This team has been unbelievable the last 3 games. They have played with impressive poise and hustle, its amazing to watch this team grow before our eyes. One game we are getting top to bottom scoring, the next we get one of, if not the best complete-team shut down efforts I've personally ever seen out of any Red Wings team.

The future is now, and the future is bright! Not over until the handshake, can't take this Blackhawks team lightly, no matter what the hole is. Stick to it. Match desperation. End this in 5. LGRW!

Edited by b.shanafan14, 24 May 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#844 SFwingsfan

SFwingsfan

Helm's Hoes

• HoF Booster
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm trying so hard not to get too excited, this series is far from over. Chicago isn't going to just roll over, especially not in front of their home fans.

Edited by SFwingsfan, 24 May 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#845 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Do not wash that right hand.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#846 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Good win tonight. Wings were a bit to turnover prone like in Game 1 but were able to recover a lot better on them. Thought everyone had a solid game except Cleary who was shockingly bad. Thankfully he did come through in the end with the empty net. He missed an empty net in the 1st and completely blew two odd man rushes. He needs to step up.

#847 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Babcock is just a genius. Never ever did I expect this team being up 3:1 against the Hawks.Also I don't understand the Suter hate, the guy wanted to play where his girlfriend is from and being able to play with his pal Parise nothing wrong with that, he doesn't owe the Wings anything.

Also I'd highly recommend not talking about a "what if" scenario first there is still a lot of work ahead of this team, winning game 5 in Chicago is not going to be an easy task.

I thought it was that he wanted to play where his girlfriend is from & the fact that his wife is from there also contributed to his decision. 

I gotta say that this year's playoffs for me has to be the most relaxing post season I've ever had with the Wings.  Their run so far reminds me of that feeling of getting out on the highway in a rundown old beater & just putting the pedal down.  You're not sure how it's staying on the road or if/when the wheels might fall off, but the ride is so damn fun that you can't help but lean back, smile, & enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by ogreslayer, 24 May 2013 - 07:40 AM.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#848 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

If our boys stop giving up so many odd man rushes, that definitely would have been one of the best shutdown games I've ever seen.  Jimmy earned that shutout for sure.  Toews imploded bad and hopefully if we finish them off he doesn't have one of those blowup interviews.  I hope if we win next game in Chicago, they give him some time before chasing him for interviews. 

Either way, great effort by our Wings last night.  So proud of them.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#849 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm just worried that if Chicago wins Game 5 they get their legs back and come back. I want them to stay shaken.

Not getting ahead of myself, and staying purely hypothetical, I think it would be cool to meet San Jose next round and Pittsburgh in the final.

I still feel like this team shouldn't be able to win the Cup, but I'm also beginning to feel like this team is destined for that showdown.

They've been too consistent thus far, and they improve every game. The Wings are not just hot, they've become a genuinely dangerous team.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#850 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Last five games for Howard: 1.67 GAA, .950 sv%.

Check out tough guy Bickell being unable to stand up:

I have no more "likes" and I can't figure out where the hell the emoticons are/went to on my iPad but THANKS! I missed it originally. Did he really fall two more times?!

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#851 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

So anybody else ready to concede that Kindl has the best point shot on the team?  Aaaand he was hard along the boards last night.  I liked his game.  Then again I like everybody's game any time you win essentially every single puck battle and scoop up virtually every loose puck.  Good game boys!

Post Script:  Is Jonathan Ericsson the strongest man alive?

Edited by kipwinger, 24 May 2013 - 08:36 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#852 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hey all, 
First time poster (long time lurker). Forgive me if this post belongs in a different thread. If so, MODs, please feel free to move it.
We can all praise our own guys (which I've been doing) and ripping on the Hawks' guys (which I've also been doing), but I think this game really illustrated just how outclassed Quenneville is in this matchup.

Now, I can't blame him for trying to switch up his lines for this game; he's just trying to spark something from a stagnant team. 

But, as a Canadian watcher, the CBC commentators relayed the fact that he severely limited Seabrook's ice time in this game, and basically shut Kane down in the third period. 

I'm all for sitting players down a bit to send a message, but it seems to me like, in this situation, you have to live or die with your star players. I know that Toews has been a no-show, that Kane has just dropped in for two brief moments to pot a couple of ultimately-non-consequential goals and that Hossa has been MIA since game one, but I think that Q fails to realize the Wings are just playing those guys incredibly well. If I'm the coach of Chicago, I just keep rolling them out there and hoping for a break or a bounce, because those guys are certainly the most likely players on the roster to create those types of situations.

To me, it's quite clear that the Wings are in Qs head. He's on the bench trying to concoct different lineups and throw less-proven guys into the fire to draw water from a rock. He's ignoring the fact that, regardless of the combinations, the Wings are taking the Hawks' stars out of this series and playing right into our hands by replacing his stars with role players. They're good role players, mind you, but not game breakers.

Anyways, I've rambled. This series thus far has been a testament to the will and ability of our players (and it's not over yet). IMO, this series has further solidified the fact that Babs is the best coach in the business and really highlighted the gap between the #1 coach and an at-best mediocre coach like Quenneville (don't even get me started on that Jack Adams nomination).

Let's go Wings. Here's to really sobering up that "Madhouse" on Saturday night with a series-clinching victory.

drew

Great post, Drew. Probably because I agree with most of it! Welcome, and keep coming back!

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#853 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not so sure that it's because Quenneville is a mediocre coach, he's a good coach, but he's doing what any coach would do...trying to free up guys.  The problem is, EVERY Red Wing forward (aside for that lovable Brunner) plays good defense.  He's mixing and matching trying to find open ice for these guys but the only way he's going to get any of his top line guys free is to try and get them out there against our third line and that opens up a world of hurt the other way when Pav or Hank's line is out against your third line guys. 

In an interview earlier this week Quincey was talking about how Bab's has really preached "swarming" on defense, and not playing man on man.  Right now Chicago has no answer for it and Quenneville is searching in vein for open ice. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#854 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

The Hawks are a really really good team and I can see why they're the President's trophy winners this year, but unfortunately for them, their strategy doesn't match up well with our style of play.  The forwards for the Hawks are putting a ton of pressure on our defense, but we have so much puck support with the forwards coming back, that its negating that pressure.  Not everyone does what the Wings do, so I can see how Chicago would just tear other teams apart.  Quenville needs to make an adjustment and either he isn't because he doesn't know what adjustment to make or Babcock is out coaching him badly.  Either scenario is very likely. 

Its great that we're winning this series, but the real gem coming out of all this, for us, is the fact that guys like Smith, Kindl, Nyquist, Andersson, and Brunner are getting lots of playoff experience that will be invaluable years down the road.  The fourth one is the hardest to win, so hopefully we'll be ready to go for Game 5 because there's going to be a huge storm at the beginning of that game and if Howie and Co and weather that storm, we'll be in good shape.

#855 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Last five games for Howard: 1.67 GAA, .950 sv%.

Check out tough guy Bickell being unable to stand up:

I'm not trying to be all touchy feely, cuz im not that type of guy, but part of me feels bad when I see stuff like that. I don't think I've ever been shaken up to the point where I couldn't stand up without falling over... hope the guys OK.

That aside, that was an awesome hit and I was shocked that we didn't get a penalty called... we almost certainly would have been called for some non-sense if that happened in the regular season, interference, roughing, tripping, etc.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#856 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm not trying to be all touchy feely, cuz im not that type of guy, but part of me feels bad when I see stuff like that. I don't think I've ever been shaken up to the point where I couldn't stand up without falling over... hope the guys OK.

That aside, that was an awesome hit and I was shocked that we didn't get a penalty called... we almost certainly would have been called for some non-sense if that happened in the regular season, interference, roughing, tripping, etc.

The whole point was there was nothing remotely wrong with that hit.  I mean you don't even have to watch it over and over again to figure if it was wrong or not. 

#857 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

The whole point was there was nothing remotely wrong with that hit.  I mean you don't even have to watch it over and over again to figure if it was wrong or not.

Totally agree. (Clap, clap, clap...!)

#858 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

It's comical to go through this thread and see how many posters here that were giving up on this team and calling out Holland, Babs etc...and now they are all " I love this team " , " I knew this team could play like this" ..makes me chuckle. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#859 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Eh? Agreed, there was nothing wrong with the hit.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#860 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Awesome win last night!! The joe rocking so loud the hairs on my arms were standing up. Keep it rolling boys

IPB Image