25 replies to this topic

#1 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

2 things:

1) The Pens are on the hook with this guy for 2 more years at 5 mil cap hit per and 11.5 mil total owed. What do you do if you're the Pittsburgh GM?

2) If you are Ken Holland, are you interested in Fleury as a back-up to Howard if Pittsbugh decides to buy him out? At what price?

#2 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

2 things:

1) The Pens are on the hook with this guy for 2 more years at 5 mil cap hit per and 11.5 mil total owed. What do you do if you're the Pittsburgh GM?

2) If you are Ken Holland, are you interested in Fleury as a back-up to Howard if Pittsbugh decides to buy him out? At what price?

and do what with our current backup?

#3 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think he'll get a chance somewhere at a starters salary.  Also with how good Howard is playing and the new contract I don't think it would be fair or smart to put Howard in that situation.  Could end up with another Luongo Schnieder situation.

#4 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

and do what with our current backup?

I dont know! Thats the point. Pretend youre Ken Holland. You can say "stick" if you want.

#5 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

I dont know! Thats the point. Pretend youre Ken Holland. You can say "stick" if you want.

the goaltending will be the same come October

#6 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

the goaltending will be the same come October

I believe so, too.

#7 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Normally I'd say the Pens would hang on to him. However, they'll need to dump salary before next season I believe. Tough call.

As far as the Wings go, Jimmy's a work-horse. Play him as much as you can next year, and hope Monster is healthy and capable of playing a few games. Then bring Mrazek up for 14-15.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#8 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Vokoun isn't much better wings will light him up in finals

#9 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but why would they buy him out? He'll make about the same money as Jimmy Howard next season.

He had a good regular season and is part of their core. Vokoun will be 37 by the time next season begins. I doubt the Pens have soured on Fleury, despite the fact that Vokoun is playing right now.

#10 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but why would they buy him out? He'll make about the same money as Jimmy Howard next season.

He had a good regular season and is part of their core. Vokoun will be 37 by the time next season begins. I doubt the Pens have soured on Fleury, despite the fact that Vokoun is playing right now.

Seems like Pittsburgh has little confidence in him right now.

#11 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Eerily similar situation to 2008.  Remember when Hasek started to s*** the bed during the 1st round vs Nashville that year?  Put in Osgood, railed our way to the cup. 

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#12 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't think Pittsburgh is giving up on fluery... They are riding Vokoun because he is the hot goalie. Fluery will be their main horse once again when Vokoun stumbles theses playoffs... (Against Boston, I have a lot of faith in them beating Pitt) then fluery will get the net back.

#13 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

2 things:

1.  I think it's hilarious.  f*** the Pens.

2.  Absolutely not.  You don't cut Howard off at the knees like that and Holland needs to use his cap space wisely to restock the defense.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

2 things:

1) I buy him out.

2) Nope. He's mentally fragile, and his presence might cause unwanted tension.

#15 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

1) I buy him out.

2) Nope. He's mentally fragile, and his presence might cause unwanted tension.

I agree. I think he's a liability.

#16 saven

saven

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

1.  I think it's hilarious.  f*** the Pens.

2.  Absolutely not.  You don't cut Howard off at the knees like that and Holland needs to use his cap space wisely to restock the defense.

1. Agree f them
2. Are we watching the same team cuz with dd back I think our d is just fine.
In explanation of my avatar: for those who understand no explanation is necessary, for those who don't google federko.

#17 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm glad that a bench warmer is taking up $5 mill cap on their roster.  God know who the hell else they can convince to join them if they had that cap space ... 

No to OP's idea ... although I think the Monster is actually terrible ... even as a backup.  His stats are horrible and whenever he starts, I count it a loss ... once in a blue moon, he surprises me but just terribly inconsistent.  

#18 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

fleury would be way too expensive of a backup.. he'll start somewhere. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#19 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

2 things:

You are amazing, you've been on Mrazek's jock all year and now you talk about bringing in Fleury as a back up ? Make up your mind dude.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#20 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

The only thing worse than not having a capable backup goaltender is paying too much for a capable backup goaltender.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.