• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 5 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 4, (DET leads series 3-2)

Rate this topic

I'm not talking about retaliation. I'm talking about challenging a guy to a fight when he's jabbing your best players in the back of their heads after every whistle. You're just not used to seeing a Wings player actually challenging another guy to a fair fight.

Bickell would have obliged Smith or Ericsson in a fight. They just never tried.

It would help us, because it would deter Bickell the rest of the series. If he was Dave Brown or Tony Twist, it likely wouldn't work, since those guys were beasts. But Bickell is a fake tough guy. Nobody wants to act tough when they know they have to fight afterwards. However, if they know there's no retaliation coming, they keep acting tough. So would I in Bickell's place. It's not even about who's fighting you. It's just easier to be an ******* when you know you don't have to pay for it.

I actually know what you're saying. But how does that help us win games? Bickell's ultimately going nowhere and you can't be assured he'll back down. And our guy still goes off with whoever the a-hole is.

The 20,066 at Detroit would not let this game 6 be wasted.

The man with #35 in net would not let the 20,066 down.

The men in 55, 52, 28, 4, 2, and 27 would not let #35 down.

And they shall collectively rise up and defeat this team from lands far away and tales taller than life be told.

The day the 23 of Detroit took down the 23 of Chicago.

MaDnEsS? THIS IS DETROIT.

I actually know what you're saying. But how does that help us win games? Bickell's ultimately going nowhere and you can't be assured he'll back down. And our guy still goes off with whoever the a-hole is.

Because now we might be without Kronwall.

How does that not make it harder to win games?

Hey GMR, did you happen to see Don Cherry after I think it was the 1st intermission when he was showing clips of players like Toews, Crosby, etc getting jabbed and punched, and that the instigator rule implementation caused all this?

I was in 100% agreement with Don. He showed Kronwall rubbing Toews into the goal post and somebody facewashing crosby. He said "what if gretzky had to deal with all that?

I agree. I think that Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Yzerman, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and the list goes on, all suffer becuase of that instigator rule. I would enjoy hockey a TON more if they got rid of that rule and brought the enforcer back. I think the gam would open up and it would be a lot more enjoyable agian, just what we all are clamouring for.

I don't think it had anything to do with the loss. It may have set a weird mood for you but not for me.

Like I said, I don't think it had any effect on the game what so ever but I'm very superstitious when it comes to playoff hockey and its just something that I personally would have changed.

Because now we might be without Kronwall.

How does that not make it harder to win games?

What you're still saying is that if one of our guys had taken on Bickell and challenged him, that still wouldn't have happened. You don't know that. Neither do I. I'm with you. I'd love to think that would be the result but we don't know that.

Hey GMR, did you happen to see Don Cherry after I think it was the 1st intermission when he was showing clips of players like Toews, Crosby, etc getting jabbed and punched, and that the instigator rule implementation caused all this?

I was in 100% agreement with Don. He showed Kronwall rubbing Toews into the goal post and somebody facewashing crosby. He said "what if gretzky had to deal with all that?

I agree. I think that Zetterburg, Datsyuk, Yzerman, Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, and the list goes on, all suffer becuase of that instigator rule. I would enjoy hockey a TON more if they got rid of that rule and brought the enforcer back. I think the gam would open up and it would be a lot more enjoyable agian, just what we all are clamouring for.

I agree with you on the instigator.

However, I don't think that applies in this situation. I believe Bickell would oblige if one of our tougher guys challenged him.

I agree with you on the instigator.

However, I don't think that applies in this situation. I believe Bickell would oblige if one of our tougher guys challenged him.

I think Bickell would have fought Erickson or somebody that challenged him. He's been lookin to go with somebody.

I say let's just focus on WINNING, and shaking hands after game 6!

If this goes 7 I just don't see us winning it, not since it's in Chicago. We got our 1 win we needed there, I think that's all we're going to get. And I have a feeling the wings are aware of it. Not that they CANT go in there and win, but Chicago isn't Anaheim, and that Chicago crowd is crazy.

We will win it in 6 though. I'm pretty confident about it.

What you're still saying is that if one of our guys had taken on Bickell and challenged him, that still wouldn't have happened. You don't know that. Neither do I. I'm with you. I'd love to think that would be the result but we don't know that.

It would be a lot less likely to happen. That's all.

Bickell has been allowed to run loose in this series by the Wings.

I think Bickell would have fought Erickson or somebody that challenged him. He's been lookin to go with somebody.

I say let's just focus on WINNING, and shaking hands after game 6!

If this goes 7 I just don't see us winning it, not since it's in Chicago. We got our 1 win we needed there, I think that's all we're going to get. And I have a feeling the wings are aware of it. Not that they CANT go in there and win, but Chicago isn't Anaheim, and that Chicago crowd is crazy.

We will win it in 6 though. I'm pretty confident about it.

I want Zetterberg to say that as well.

Next press conference. ;)

Focus ... focus ... focus and we can close it on Monday. I'm surprisingly calm. Even if we go to 7, this group has had one game 7 under their belt already. I like our position.

If someone told you that the Wings would win the series in 5 before this all started, you'd think he was nutz.

We've only scored two goals the last two games (not counting empty netters).

The offense needs to wake up.

Pavs and Hank should be put together to A) Shut down the Hawks top unit of Kane, Toews, Sharp. and B) To allow Pavs to set up Hank to score some goals and get the offense going.

A lot of players felt over confident I think and got caught in the hype. Wings have learned the hard way this playoff run gotta play hard to win no matter what the series is at. The problem tonight was a simple matter of effort and intensity. Nobody had it going tonight

Guest RedWingsDad

That commentating was horrid. I felt like I was listening to a baseball game and they were non stop all over Chicago's balls the whole game.

Also the announcers are making a big deal about Toews scoring. Well, that's 4 goals now in like 35 or 36 playoff games. Not that scary. We'll see what Monday brings.

I'll only get nervous if we drop game 6. Game 5 I fully expected to lose.

Agreed. Some people act like they've never watched hockey before. A #1 seed is not going to lose at home in a game 5 down 3-1 to a 7th seed. Rarely happens.

This was an embarrassing loss for the Wings. Blackhawks beat us in terms of skill, in terms of speed, and in terms of hits. Toews takes cheap shots on us in Game 4; scores a power play goal in this game. Then, in the third period, we're down three goals. Time to send a message, right? Nope. Nothing from the Wings. We skate off with the loss. In fact, it's the Hawks that take late penalties to send messages to us.

We played scared the whole night. Babcock better fire the boys up before Game 6, or we're done.

Eastern Conference isn't going to be any nicer to us. I'm worried (even if I have had a couple too many beers).

OK, here are my thoughts.

It's really hard to pin this game on one play or even a couple of plays. We needed to have more urgency throughout the game.

That said, there is one play that captures where that lack of urgency was cashed in by the Hawks - and it came on the 3rd goal. Toews roofed the puck on the short side on the Power Play. What does this play tell me? I bank on my experience as a former goaltender and reading Jimmy Howard. This is the exact same shot that Chicago has tried at least 6 times earlier in the series, including Candy Kane in the 1st period, In the 1st period, Jimmy had his glove up by his shoulder and Kane's shot floated harmlessly into his glove. On the 3rd goal, you can see that Jimmy did not want to press his body to the post so he could move if there was a pass across the goal mouth. Instead he kept his body centered to avoid the lean and lost push off power in the event of a pass and Toews roofed it off of his mask. Edit: by keeping his body centered, he had to keep his glove and his arm down to ensure he took away the bottom 2/3 of the net.

I'm not saying that the puck wouldn't have still hit him in the mask and snuck in between his mask and glove, but most likely, either Toews would have fired into his glove or the pass gets broken up. Bottom line: The goalie needs to take the shooter and trust the defensemen to take away the pass.

Again, I'm not blaming Howard for this, but I get the feeling he was worried about the pass instead of the confident, take away anything to shoot at, play that he demonstrated in the last three games. The good news is that I'm sure he will see this in watching the tapes - I'm not even sure if he realized what he did in real time, it's a feel play for a goaltender.

Like I said, this isn't the only reason we lost, but it happened based on what was happening between the lines. Not to mention, I think that after the Hawks go up by two, I think our confidence in our ability to come back and tie it up goes by the wayside.

Here's to hoping Jimmy can get his mojo back and the Wings come out with more fire and passion in game 6. I think they can.

Edited by TigerDan

Dammit, I shared the GDT picture at the top with a ton of FB friends before noticing that it said Bertuzzi was in the lineup. Then I noticed the other discrepencies and realized too late that it was a lame old image from another GDT. I had a sick feeling right then and there that things were not going to go our way tonight. Just a crappy way to start off the night, feeling stupid. Let's write this garbage night off and come back on Monday and stick the dagger in their heart! LET'S GO RED WINGS!

So I didn't post in the GDT earlier today and I didn't post in the X posts for a victory thread either. So that may be why we lost, sorry guys. I was really busy today but on Monday I won't be as busy and will be sure to contribute lol.

I'm really not too worried yet. I think the Wings will play better on Monday. Even if we don't win another game, it would definitely be disappointing but the future is so bright for this team that right now losses really aren't bothering me that much. We are still playing with house money. We just lost a hand. We won't have to go all in until Wednesday if that even happens.

Well Chicago finally came out and played a desperate yet smart game and won handily. You hope after getting it to 1-1 late in the 2nd period before the Hawks got those two quick ones they didn't miss an opportunity to put it away. What's done is done and get ready for game 6.

One thing DOES trouble me. We knew coming into the playoffs the untested and the kids would make mistakes and learn from them hopefully and get better. I'm not ready to push a panic button but Brendan Smith is making glaring errors all over the ice. More each game it almost seems. Yes he's made good plays jumping into the rush and has played physical but man he just seems to get huge brain cramps I can no longer just excuse as a kid playing his first major minutes in a pressure situation. Some of his worst errors come from the relatively simple act of skating. Like tonight getting beat for a 2 on 1 then flopping down and sliding into Jimmy's blue ice while the Hawks had a great chance all alone on Howard.

I completely agree with the Smith errors. He's either been hit or miss these whole playoffs. What exactly did Ian White do to get in Babcock's doghouse so bad that he doesn't get to play anymore?