Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

WCSF Game 5 GDT : Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 4, (DET leads series 3-2)

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#641 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

I sure am glad I missed this one due to family commitments. 

Was there anything positive? 

#642 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Also the announcers are making a big deal about Toews scoring.  Well, that's 4 goals now in like 35 or 36 playoff games.  Not that scary.  We'll see what Monday brings.

I'll only get nervous if we drop game 6.  Game 5 I fully expected to lose.

Agreed.  Some people act like they've never watched hockey before.  A #1 seed is not going to lose at home in a game 5 down 3-1 to a 7th seed.  Rarely happens. 

Posted Image

#643 ChainsawBob

ChainsawBob

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

This was an embarrassing loss for the Wings.   Blackhawks beat us in terms of skill, in terms of speed, and in terms of hits.   Toews takes cheap shots on us in Game 4; scores a power play goal in this game.  Then, in the third period, we're down three goals.   Time to send a message, right?   Nope.   Nothing from the Wings.   We skate off with the loss.   In fact, it's the Hawks that take late penalties to send messages to us.

We played scared the whole night.   Babcock better fire the boys up before Game 6, or we're done.

Eastern Conference isn't going to be any nicer to us.   I'm worried (even if I have had a couple too many beers).

#644 TigerDan

TigerDan

Goon

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

OK, here are my thoughts.

It's really hard to pin this game on one play or even a couple of plays.  We needed to have more urgency throughout the game.

That said, there is one play that captures where that lack of urgency was cashed in by the Hawks - and it came on the 3rd goal.  Toews roofed the puck on the short side on the Power Play.  What does this play tell me?  I bank on my experience as a former goaltender and reading Jimmy Howard.  This is the exact same shot that Chicago has tried at least 6 times earlier in the series, including Candy Kane in the 1st period,  In the 1st period, Jimmy had his glove up by his shoulder and Kane's shot floated harmlessly into his glove.  On the 3rd goal, you can see that Jimmy did not want to press his body to the post so he could move if there was a pass across the goal mouth.  Instead he kept his body centered  to avoid the lean and lost push off power in the event of a pass and Toews roofed it off of his mask. Edit: by keeping his body centered, he had to keep his glove and his arm down to ensure he took away the bottom 2/3 of the net.

I'm not saying that the puck wouldn't have still hit him in the mask and snuck in between his mask and glove, but most likely, either Toews would have fired into his glove or the pass gets broken up.  Bottom line: The goalie needs to take the shooter and trust the defensemen to take away the pass. 

Again, I'm not blaming Howard for this, but I get the feeling he was worried about the pass instead of the confident, take away anything to shoot at, play that he demonstrated in the last three games.  The good news is that I'm sure he will see this in watching the tapes - I'm not even sure if he realized what he did in real time, it's a feel play for a goaltender.

Like I said, this isn't the only reason we lost, but it happened based on what was happening between the lines.  Not to mention, I think that after the Hawks go up by two, I think our confidence in our ability to come back and tie it up goes by the wayside.

Here's to hoping Jimmy can get his mojo back and the Wings come out with more fire and passion in game 6. I think they can.

Edited by TigerDan, 25 May 2013 - 11:52 PM.

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season. What with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him? Whhelll, I guess that's more than most 21 year olds could handle."

#645 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Anyone that is surprised by this is naive. If this goes back to Chicago, history will be made.

#646 LivoniaGrinder

LivoniaGrinder

Rookie

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Dammit, I shared the GDT picture at the top with a ton of FB friends before noticing that it said Bertuzzi was in the lineup. Then I noticed the other discrepencies and realized too late that it was a lame old image from another GDT. I had a sick feeling right then and there that things were not going to go our way tonight. Just a crappy way to start off the night, feeling stupid. Let's write this garbage night off and come back on Monday and stick the dagger in their heart! LET'S GO RED WINGS!

--
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that."

--Saul Tigh

#647 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

So I didn't post in the GDT earlier today and I didn't post in the X posts for a victory thread either. So that may be why we lost, sorry guys. I was really busy today but on Monday I won't be as busy and will be sure to contribute lol.

I'm really not too worried yet. I think the Wings will play better on Monday. Even if we don't win another game, it would definitely be disappointing but the future is so bright for this team that right now losses really aren't bothering me that much. We are still playing with house money. We just lost a hand. We won't have to go all in until Wednesday if that even happens.

#648 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

It's all good ... come on back to the Joe Louis and take care of business.  

#649 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Well Chicago finally came out and played a desperate yet smart game and won handily. You hope after getting it to 1-1 late in the 2nd period before the Hawks got those two quick ones they didn't miss an opportunity to put it away. What's done is done and get ready for game 6.

One thing DOES trouble me. We knew coming into the playoffs the untested and the kids would make mistakes and learn from them hopefully and get better. I'm not ready to push a panic button but Brendan Smith is making glaring errors all over the ice. More each game it almost seems. Yes he's made good plays jumping into the rush and has played physical but man he just seems to get huge brain cramps I can no longer just excuse as a kid playing his first major minutes in a pressure situation. Some of his worst errors come from the relatively simple act of skating. Like tonight getting beat for a 2 on 1 then flopping down and sliding into Jimmy's blue ice while the Hawks had a great chance all alone on Howard.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#650 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

I completely agree with the Smith errors.  He's either been hit or miss these whole playoffs.  What exactly did Ian White do to get in Babcock's doghouse so bad that he doesn't get to play anymore?

#651 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Number one seed, great reg season. I think we all felt they wouldn't just go down on home ice in 5.

They pushed, the Wings will shove back on Monday.

#652 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

It would have been extremely hard to win 4 games in a row against them. Wings will be better. Hawks will play the same pretty much.

#653 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

2010 , Game 4, Detroit 7 - San Jose 1.  We all know how that ended

2009, Game 5, Detroit 5 - Pens 1.  We all know how that ended.

There's lots more examples, but we should all have seen enough playoff hockey to know that blowing a team out at home when your back is against the wall means NOTHING.  If anything, it makes the Wings comes out harder than a 3-2 triple OT loss would.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#654 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

Forget the game and be ready and hard for tomorrow also:

Lay down the Tomahawk on thatf****** Blackhawk named Meyers. I want to see him Kronwalled everytime this idiot is on the puck, crush the net, play hard and end this series.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#655 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Focus ... focus ... focus and we can close it on Monday.  I'm surprisingly calm.  Even if we go to 7, this group has had one game 7 under their belt already.  I like our position.  

If someone told you that the Wings would win the series in 5 before this all started, you'd think he was nutz.  

I think most people assumed this was going ot be a lose. My only issue is that they came out looking like they didn't want to finish them off. They were pushed around in every sense of the world.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#656 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

They sat back. There was zero pressure and they gave Chicago so much space. Uncharacteristic of them. I expect that to change, but am naturally worried now that Chicago has momentum. We don't want tgis to go seven.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#657 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

The Joe has been rocking and I really see the boy's closing it out on Monday, they need to SHUT THEM DOWN and end this thing...LGW

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#658 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

2010 , Game 4, Detroit 7 - San Jose 1.  We all know how that ended

2009, Game 5, Detroit 5 - Pens 1.  We all know how that ended.

There's lots more examples, but we should all have seen enough playoff hockey to know that blowing a team out at home when your back is against the wall means NOTHING.  If anything, it makes the Wings comes out harder than a 3-2 triple OT loss would.

This. I was thinking about the Sharksgame during the whole the third. 

Let's see what we have : Two close periods, where the first could have gone either way and a admittedly bad third. Does it mean were done ? Of course not. The teams reaction may not, and I'm pretty confident it doesn't, show a lack of determination but a high level of confidence in winning our game at the Joe. And why not ? Did our Team start to blame the ref ? Nope. Did the they try to play dirty or frustrated like the Hawks ? Nope, in fact during the last seconds the Hawks looked more frustrated the we did when Keith took the penalty on Brunner.  Did Howard broke ? Nope, he still looked confident after the 4th goal. Did Toews finally outplayed his shadow Zetterberg ? Nope, his coach just avoided the matchup. 

In my opinion we're not out of their head yet. They didn't outplayed us in the matchups where we beat them. If I was Toews my head wouldn't stop working on how to beat Zetterberg next game. If I was Quenville I would wonder how I avoid this matchup. Monday will be another challenge than the last game. If they can outplay us then we're in trouble. But not while we still have home ice advantage.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 26 May 2013 - 09:36 AM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#659 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

I believe this team won't let that other team beat them.  They want this and they want it bad.

#660 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

They need to play hard and all players need to be firing on all cylinders. If they cannot advance, there will be a lot of questions regarding can this team be sucessful and be a cup contender without Lids?

Also, this is a huge turning point for the team as a whole; 1. Is Detroit a place where free agents want to play and 2. Lack of success and not signing high end FA may correlate into Pavs heads back to Russia

Reality folks.

Edited by Rivalred, 26 May 2013 - 10:05 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1