Photo
- - - - -

Our future Depth

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Our future depth

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Out of these future youngsters who will be the most benifiting to the Red Wings future

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

My problem is Dekyser has played all of 11 NHL games. Yeah he looked good during that stretch, but I'm not about to say he's going to run our blue line for the next 15 years. For all we know he'll play like the coveted Brendan Smith next season...

Smith also had a good first stint in the NHL when he was called up last year. I think Dekyser still has a big question mark on his head. Bigger than Goose and Tatar

#22 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I said Danny D simply because he came straight out of College and was thrown into the fire on a team already loaded with Rookie's and he made an immediate impact... maybe not a huge impact but not many players can make the jump and be a positive factor. I'm assuming he will only get bigger, stronger and better.

#23 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Nyquist - He's shown he can be very hard on the puck. I was upset with how much he got pushed around at the beginning of his stint, but he has found his legs and has been playing with much more confidence every since the beginning. Very shifty player, will most likely be that replacement for Pasha in the sense that he plays a solid 2-way game and has some silky hands. More of a playmaker, but has shown the ability to pot them when needed. I see him becoming a top 6 star for us.

DeKeyser - For being thrown into the fires of a transition year, coming in with ~10 games left in the season, he has blown away expectations. Next season is going to be a true testament but he's more mature, and is older than majority of players immediately finding themselves on a NHL team from juniors/college. Has all the poise in the world, and will have another off-season to add weight and train. It certainly helped, regardless of only being 11-14 games (2 being playoff), that he played this season. It was a learning tool, as he got to see how fast the league can be and what to expect. Two playoff games adds to that, giving him more experience at higher paces. He's going to be very solid for us, as he has an amazing first pass and plays a very stay at home style which we direly need.

Andersson - I voted him because he isn't flashy or shiny, but he plays an important role. He's a very smart, poised playmaking center. We don't need him to score goals at the cyclic rate, but he is the cog for the 3rd line. Defensively responsible, bigger framed body, plays the body, and can hold the forecheck. He's a true depth piece.

Tatar - I like Tatar a lot. Great wheels, smooth hands, and has a knack for the back of the net. You gotta love that. The only thing that really scares me is his personality. I don't want to lose him because of his personality, but I can see the franchise moving him because of that. He's a goal-scorer motivated youngster who we could use. He never gives up on the play, and wants the puck in the twine as fast as possible. I really hope we find a spot for him next season, and choose not to just move him. I didn't vote him just because I do feel like he's going to be apart of a package this off-season, unfortunately. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#24 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is a good question. I'd say Nyquist because he has speed and handles. He can really finish too. He gets pushed off the puck sometimes though. Needs to bulk up and/or learn from Datsyuk. I was super impressed with DeKeyser's passing and positioning, but he needs to play a little more in the NHL before we can dub him Lidstrom Jr.

#25 krsmith17

krsmith17

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

To me, Nyquist is the most important to our future just because our backend looks to be extremely stacked with talent, not quite as much up front. With Datsyuk's future unknown (although I think he will be a Wing for at least another 3 years...) and Zetterberg starting to slow down (when it comes to putting up points, I still think he's one of the best in the game at shutting guys down... Just ask Mr. Toews :-p ) and Franzen and Filppula not always playing their best hockey lately.

I think it's guys like Brunner, Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk that are going to be most important to our future. No one player is going to replace Pav and Hank but they can be "replaced" by committee... I think our backend is going to be one of the best in the league in a 4-5 years. I am extremely excited to see Smith, Dekeyser, Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen, Backman, etc... I know, not every one of our prospects are going to turn out as we all project them but the future definitely looks bright in HockeyTown. :)

#26 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

i chose other ... surprised there wasnt more other votes seeing as jarnkrok mrazek jurco frk sproul  ouellet among others werent included i gotta think 2-3 of those at least will make big impacts

#27 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

All the guys on the poll are roster players next year. The depth is Lashoff/Shehan type guys.

#28 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

As much as I hate to say it, there is still a chance that one or more of Tatar, Andersson or Nyquist are not NHL regular's next year.

You have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson, Helm, Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Abdelkader, Eaves, Emmerton all under contract at forward with Flip, Miller, Cleary and Brunner still left as Free Agents. 

On defence we have Kronwall, Ericsson, Quincey, Colaiacovo, Dekeyser and Lashoff signed for next year with White, Kindl and Smith to re-sign.

In net Howard and Gustavsson will be back.

So we have 18 players signed with NHL rosters spots already and 5 spots to fill between Flip, Miller, Brunner, Cleary, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, White, Kindl, and Smith, and any Free Agents we happen to pick up.

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hank-Dats-Framzen
Nyquist-Helm-Filppula
Tatar-Andersson-Brunner
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Shehan

Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Dekeyser
Kindl-Quincy

Lashoff-Colo

Howard
Gustavsson

Miller and Eaves deserve to be set free. They could play 2nd to 3rd line minutes on other teams. I wouldnt mind seeing them on the Griffins for injury call up, but they would have to want that role.

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hank-Dats-Framzen
Nyquist-Helm-Filppula
Tatar-Andersson-Brunner
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Shehan

Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-Dekeyser
Kindl-Quincy

Lashoff-Colo

Howard
Gustavsson

Miller and Eaves deserve to be set free. They could play 2nd to 3rd line minutes on other teams. I wouldnt mind seeing them on the Griffins for injury call up, but they would have to want that role.

There is no chance Sheahan is playing in the NHL next year unless in the case of an injury call up

#31 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

There is no chance Sheahan is playing in the NHL next year unless in the case of an injury call up

Why? He played this year.

#32 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

i agree dont see sheahan coming up ... there gonna let him play a ton of minutes in the ahl he only had 1 year there and i dont see anyone from the 3rd line not being on the roster next year , they played well and this was a learning season so they wont screw that up by sending them back down and i agree with the axe's defense minus coliacovo unless they send lashoff back to the ahl(if its possible)

i think eaves will return upfront , id like to think filppula wont be back if hes asking for 5 + per season

franzen datsyuk abdelkader

nyquist zetterberg (free agent maybe?clarkson?) (probably filppula at like 4.5 though:( lol

tatar helm brunner

eaves andersson cleary

tootoo/emmerton

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 27 May 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

i agree dont see sheahan coming up ... there gonna let him play a ton of minutes in the ahl he only had 1 year there and i dont see anyone from the 3rd line not being on the roster next year , they played well and this was a learning season so they wont screw that up by sending them back down and i agree with the axe's defense minus coliacovo unless they send lashoff back to the ahl(if its possible)

i think eaves will return upfront , id like to think filppula wont be back if hes asking for 5 + per season

franzen datsyuk abdelkader

nyquist zetterberg (free agent maybe?clarkson?) (probably filppula at like 4.5 though:( lol

tatar helm brunner

eaves andersson tootoo/emmerton

I could see this. Makes the most sense.

#34 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Why? He played this year.

He played one game as an injury call-up and played less than 7 minutes. There is a chance Nyquist or Tatar might be back in Grand Rapids as well depending on whether anyone is bought out and who is brought back.

Sheahan isn't even in the picture as far as getting a regular NHL spot. He should get one after next season though when his entry level deal is done.

Edited by FlashyG, 27 May 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

He played one game as an injury call-up and played less than 7 minutes. There is a chance Nyquist or Tatar might be back in Grand Rapids as well depending on whether anyone is bought out and who is brought back.

Sheahan isn't even in the picture as far as getting a regular NHL spot. He should get one after next season though when his entry level deal is done.

Yah, you're right. I just want the jig back!!

#36 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just a guess on my part.  But for next season...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Drew Miller ($0.850m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.000m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,127,879; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,182,121

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#37 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------

I'd much rather see us keep filp even if he's a little more expensive than we'd like and don't resign cleary.

Also, helm on the third over Anderson IMO

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#38 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'd say DeKeyser is already their #3 defenseman and could pass Ericsson next year.

He's played like 12 NHL games. I'm reserving judgement for DD. Going into next year our D is still up in the air. The potential is there just a matter of putting it together

#39 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

I still day even after last nights display that it's Smith. There is just waaaaay too much to like about him. That little drop pass to Miller his physical play, his compete level, all real good things.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

He's played like 12 NHL games. I'm reserving judgement for DD. Going into next year our D is still up in the air. The potential is there just a matter of putting it together

True.  But in those 12 games, he began to show a lot of poise and promise.  He does have a lot left to prove and could fall victim to Jonathan Ericsson Syndrome, where he starts out great then disappears for a few years before finally becoming a steady NHL defenseman.  I like what I've seen so far though, and hope to see a lot more of the same next season (or even this season, should the Wings make the Cup final!)

It's also kind of an indictment of the rest of the defense corps.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------

This is pretty much what I'm thinking too, except that Cleary should not be re-signed.  Samuelsson and one of Bertuzzi or Colaiacovo should be given compliance buyouts.  The other one could be bought out as well, or Colaiacovo could be traded.  My projection has them keeping Colaiacovo and giving Lashoff more time in Grand Rapids.

Unless Holland can land Ribeiro or Ryder (doubtful on either), he should avoid the free agent market.