27 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

And no surprise that O'Halloran was in.

But even without the refs, the Wings couldn't complete passes, broke down defensively, and had little real offense. They had a good second period but weren't dangerous otherwise. The Hawks were.

I'd say they got outplayed in two games in a row. The Wings can still win this series but they will need to be dangerous offrnsively. Datsyuk and Zetterberg need to have big games.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Frustrated. Wings had this series and now have to rely on luck. Hawks are back to outplaying us, we have no response. Could win, but the Wings appear to have lost that fighting spirit. Hawks have every imaginable advantage. Is be prouder if the Wings hadn't collapsed.

Outside of momentum-killing, hole-digging gaffs made by Smith, Franzen (negating offsides by bringing the puck back into his own zone prior to turning it over), and the referees (every time I watch the play it is more and more clear that there was not only no grounds for a penalty shot, but no penalty what-so-ever!) Game 6 was tight, even favoring the Red Wings for most of it.

It was an epic collapse, but hardly the whole team, and they definitely weren't outplayed consistently. The Blackhawks scored on the few chances the Wings and the refs gave them.

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

And no surprise that O'Halloran was in.

But even without the refs, the Wings couldn't complete passes, broke down defensively, and had little real offense. They had a good second period but weren't dangerous otherwise. The Hawks were.

I'd say they got outplayed in two games in a row. The Wings can still win this series but they will need to be dangerous offrnsively. Datsyuk and Zetterberg need to have big games.

Flip is junk, Franzen is floating, and Cleary tries but just isn't top 6.  Make that the 4th line and reunite Z-Dats-Abs, make Goose-Andersson-Brunner the 2nd line and the 3rd line Tuzzi-Emmerton-Eaves.  Miller hasn't played bad, but he's kinda slow and we need Tuzzi in there to be silky smooth while remaining large and in charge.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

The Wings pl;ayed a great game yesterday.

Hawks did not outplay the Wings last night.

I guess we have a different definition of great, but if you are happy then you must be a more optimistic person, and probably a better parent and boss than I am! :-)

#25 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Flip is junk, Franzen is floating, and Cleary tries but just isn't top 6.  Make that the 4th line and reunite Z-Dats-Abs, make Goose-Andersson-Brunner the 2nd line and the 3rd line Tuzzi-Emmerton-Eaves.  Miller hasn't played bad, but he's kinda slow and we need Tuzzi in there to be silky smooth while remaining large and in charge.

I think the Nyquist line deserves more ice-time, and I'd love to see them out there more, but back in Chicago we are going to be busy matching our top guys against Chicago's top guys for shut down. So far the match-up of 3rd lines has been all Wings. If only Chicago played their 3rd/4th lines more, we wouldn't have any problems :).

Filppula has never exactly been a clutch playoff performer, but he and Franzen are both currently tied with a lowly 6 points in 13 games, and have the two worst +/-, -4 and -6 respectively. Both need to step up for Game 7, but Franzen more than anyone. He looks like December Franzen. We need May Franzen.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I think the Nyquist line deserves more ice-time, and I'd love to see them out there more, but back in Chicago we are going to be busy matching our top guys against Chicago's top guys for shut down. So far the match-up of 3rd lines has been all Wings. If only Chicago played their 3rd/4th lines more, we wouldn't have any problems :).

Filppula has never exactly been a clutch playoff performer, but he and Franzen are both currently tied with a lowly 6 points in 13 games, and have the two worst +/-, -4 and -6 respectively. Both need to step up for Game 7, but Franzen more than anyone. He looks like December Franzen. We need May Franzen.

We don't have home ice next game, so if I were Babcock, I'd say if you wanna skate hard get ready to go on the ice cause we ain't matching up s***.  We're taking quick hard skating shifts and if you can't get anything going, get off the ice and let the next line at em'.  You have 4 capable lines or you don't, and our 3rd line has been our best 5 on 5 by far. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

We don't have home ice next game, so if I were Babcock, I'd say if you wanna skate hard get ready to go on the ice cause we ain't matching up s***.  We're taking quick hard skating shifts and if you can't get anything going, get off the ice and let the next line at em'.  You have 4 capable lines or you don't, and our 3rd line has been our best 5 on 5 by far. 

I think the success of that line has a lot to do with the 3rd-tier match-up. I agree with the whole "if you're going to do the work, you're going to get the ice-time" sentiment, but as good as that 3rd grouping is, Brunner is still a defensive liability and if they weren't going to worry at all about matching up and Chicago got a consistent diet of Toews-Hossa-Sharp against say the Smith pairing with Brunner trying to watch Keith or Hjarm creeping in the slot, things might get hairy very fast.

Of course, none of this matters. Babcock is smarter than all of us. He'll do what he is going to do and I trust him implicitly. 

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think the success of that line has a lot to do with the 3rd-tier match-up. I agree with the whole "if you're going to do the work, you're going to get the ice-time" sentiment, but as good as that 3rd grouping is, Brunner is still a defensive liability and if they weren't going to worry at all about matching up and Chicago got a consistent diet of Toews-Hossa-Sharp against say the Smith pairing with Brunner trying to watch Keith or Hjarm creeping in the slot, things might get hairy very fast.

Of course, none of this matters. Babcock is smarter than all of us. He'll do what he is going to do and I trust him implicitly. 

Babcock is just gonna make weird angry faces at Quenville all game and throw him off.  He'll be so lost Jamal Mayers will be on with CamelToews and Bickell.