• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

Fraser's take on Penalty Shot

Rate this topic

Pav's "trip" on Toews?

Abby thrown face first into the boards by Seabrook in the 1st while on a PP?

Kindl called for interference and then later in the first a Wing was interfered with even more so with no call?

Consistency is all we ask for.

And where was Brunner's penalty shot this series when he got the corkscrew in the hands on a breakaway, or when Roszival two-handed Abdelkader's stick out of his hands on a breakaway that was pointed out in a .gif in the last GDT? Therefore, Mr. Fraser, the call was flat out ******* wrong and by this series' standards isn't even a penalty.

The stick on the "slash" appeared to get mostly stick between the hands of Frolik. Frolik did a great job to look like he had broken both hands on the play, but it was a grazing at worst, and a clean stick check at best.

Agree with Crashnburnluder, and this is the largest problem with officiating in this league: gross inconsistency. Call it both ways, or not at all. Call it the same in the first period, second period, and third period. Call it in Game 1 or Game 7. or not at all. When refs get "choosy" about which penalties to call, the result is a tilted playing surface and the comprising of competitive balance.

In a perfect world, the refs should never give penalties where there are none, or miss penalties where there are some. In a perfect world, they would be right all the time, drawing the line consistently, either letting them play or making them pay. This is not a perfect world, and the NHL's officiating has never the greatest. That's why in games of this magnitude I believe until we get a replay/review/challenge system in place for major penalties, penalty shots, and other grievous, game-altering calls, one should avoid calling them unless they are most blatant and obvious.

If that play is called a minor penalty, as it should have been then the Wings have a chance to kill the penalty and the Hawks have the chance to score on the advantage. Instead we got a skills competition out of a half-assed slash that got mostly stick and that decided the game. That is why I respectfully disagree with it being "the right call". If you can't call it consistently, at least err on the conservative side.

Guest The Axe

Putting the whistle away in the 3rd? Which one? Certainly not the Detroit penalty whistle. The NHL sucks for choosing teams to exhibit. The game has no integrity anymore.

I can't believe that we're still talking about this. Refs on the ice thought it was the right call. The CBC announcers thought it was the right call. The NBC announcers thought it was the right call, and now Fraser thinks it's the right call. The only people that don't think so are the Detroit fans. We all need to get over it and perhaps ask ourselves why our team consistently gets outplayed in the third period. Despite having frequent leads. And despite at times overwhelming play in periods one and two.

If you think that call was what lost us the game, ask yourself this: "Why did he have a breakaway in the third period at all? Why haven't we had any?"

I can't believe that we're still talking about this. Refs on the ice thought it was the right call. The CBC announcers thought it was the right call. The NBC announcers thought it was the right call, and now Fraser thinks it's the right call. The only people that don't think so are the Detroit fans. We all need to get over it and perhaps ask ourselves why our team consistently gets outplayed in the third period. Despite having frequent leads. And despite at times overwhelming play in periods one and two.

If you think that call was what lost us the game, ask yourself this: "Why did he have a breakaway in the third period at all? Why haven't we had any?"

No I agree.

We needed to score on that late 2nd period powerplay.

I've begun to notice that when Chicago is behind, they play with a man sitting in the neutral zone awaiting that breakaway pass. It's an interesting strategy that seems to work for them.

I do not think the play should even have been a penalty, but what gets me riled up is the complete inconsistency and the way the refs react to the team that whines, or dives. Chicago players, Hossa's a great example, have been so weak on their feet these past two games. It's infuriating to watch the Hawks flop around hoping for a penalty call. Yes my perspective is biased, but the refs were brutal last night and I was yelling at them from the first penalty.

I've begun to notice that when Chicago is behind, they play with a man sitting in the neutral zone awaiting that breakaway pass. It's an interesting strategy that seems to work for them.

I do not think the play should even have been a penalty, but what gets me riled up is the complete inconsistency and the way the refs react to the team that whines, or dives. Chicago players, Hossa's a great example, have been so weak on their feet these past two games. It's infuriating to watch the Hawks flop around hoping for a penalty call. Yes my perspective is biased, but the refs were brutal last night and I was yelling at them from the first penalty.

Right and their fans (and players) were saying the same things when we were winning. If the refs called every penalty that they saw every game there wouldn't be any 5 on 5 hockey. Remember two games ago when Abby got the crosschecking penalty after his fourth whack at the guy? Would you have been happier if he's gotten after the first one? What about every charging call? We did that a whole lot in the beginning of the series and got away with it.

They won those games because we play like s*** in the third period. AND because nobody in our top six has been effective. Hossa, Toews, Kane, and Sharp have outplayed Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Abby and Cleary. The stats don't lie. We've gotten production out of our bottom six. They've gotten production out of both and it shows.

Here's hoping Jimmy stands on his head again in game 7.

The way the game was officiated last night, it's almost as if the NHL would benefit from having a game 7 played by two divisional rivals who just happen to be original 6 teams.

...What’s that you say? Millions of dollars?!?! Wow, i had no idea. The NHL, i suppose, is a business after all, and businesses tend to like making money.

Not suggesting there's a conspiracy against the Wings, because these things tend to happen league wide.

Guest Playmaker

Its not an interesting strategy. From the time you start mites, you are taught to watch for the cherry pickers. Why this is lost on the Wings defense time and again is beyond me.

I am not going to complain it didn't deserve a penalty shot, but if that was a slash, then this is a penalty, maybe not a penalty shot but he certainly would have been in alone with a good scoring chance (shouldn't they award him with the scoring chance a penalty has taken from him?)

Whether we should have lost the game or not is irrelevant in the grand scheme of consistent officiating.

False, everyone on Twitter even thought that was a weak call and there not Wings fans..

Yeah most non Hawks/non Detroit people think it was ticky tack and no way you call that to give a penalty shot in a 1 goal game. Imagine if it was called for Detroit and we scored a goal to take lead and then eliminated Hawks? The tears would flood the midwest.

I must have been watching a different NBC than you were because they didn't really sound like they agreed with the call to me. I will say that I only heard their initial reactions to it, though..... as I was pissed enough to have to leave the room.

I think it was a weak pansy garbage inconsistent and ultimately incorrect call that is over and done with... and no one can do anything to change it. Dwelling on it is a complete waste. I also think that Brendan Smith's mistake on the 1st goal of the 3rd had a much greater effect on the game and is more so the reason Detroit lost than the penalty shot goal or any other single thing.

NBC basically seemed to say that it COULD be a penalty shot but that it shouldn't have been one which is the opinion I've seen from almost everyone.

Agreed, it's not the reason we lost but it's certainly a part of it. It's just a shame to see such inconsistent officiating. Jimmy was rattled about the call and it showed.

though this topic should be done and over with as no amount of bitching will change it, Aaron Ward of TSN just tweeted this link:

http://t.co/FFxFgSG1oC

this is video showing where frolik got slashed and then as he skates back towards the bench he shakes his wrong hand like it is the one that got slashed. pretty horrible sell job.

though this topic should be done and over with as no amount of bitching will change it, Aaron Ward of TSN just tweeted this link:

http://t.co/FFxFgSG1oC

this is video showing where frolik got slashed and then as he skates back towards the bench he shakes his wrong hand like it is the one that got slashed. pretty horrible sell job.

2 out of 3 TSN's the quiz said no a penalty shot. (Mackenzie and Ward). Pang said yes if it was a penalty that is a penalty shot, but he said he did not think it was a penalty. video here Its kinda funny.

Modano at times has voiced his displeasure about his time in hockeytown Allegedly freaked out on twitter about the call.

@9modano: @NHL what the hell kind of call was that.??!! Penalty shot at that s*** play.!! @DetroitRedWings

After the tweet was sent to me I checked his account and it was gone. So it was a fake or he deleted it.

So its not just us.

Agree with Crashnburnluder, and this is the largest problem with officiating in this league: gross inconsistency. Call it both ways, or not at all. Call it the same in the first period, second period, and third period. Call it in Game 1 or Game 7. or not at all. When refs get "choosy" about which penalties to call, the result is a tilted playing surface and the comprising of competitive balance.

The consistency is what upsets me as well. Penalties are called, or not called, too often based on context. If the play is a slash on Frolik, then the similar slashes on non-breakaway plays should have been called throughout the game. If Abby gets called for cross-checking Kane during play earlier in the series, then Sharp should be called for cross-checking Nyquist after the whistle in the same game.

IMO context shouldn't have a large role in penalties. Infractions are more apparent on scoring chances, but infractions all over the ice interrupt the creation of scoring chances.

I don't have a problem with people talking about it, reasonable minds can differ on it. But I agree with @kipwinger that this was just so far buried on the list of "Game 6 storylines" that I'm really not hung up on it. People are fixating on how minor the hook/slash was and whether it actually did anything to impede Frolik's breakaway shot, but that ignores the overall desperation of the play. If you badly turn the puck over, then completely lose a guy to a complete breakaway, and then chase him and make any type of play on the man from behind (either with the stick, or a trip, or a hold), you have to be on notice that you're in danger of giving a penalty shot. That play "felt" desperate because it was, and desperate plays make for easy calls.

The combination of that mistake, Smith's two mistakes, and the overall inability of the team to regain composure after making those mistakes are what did us in, not the refs.