• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

Fraser's take on Penalty Shot

Rate this topic

I can't believe that we're still talking about this. Refs on the ice thought it was the right call. The CBC announcers thought it was the right call. The NBC announcers thought it was the right call, and now Fraser thinks it's the right call. The only people that don't think so are the Detroit fans. We all need to get over it and perhaps ask ourselves why our team consistently gets outplayed in the third period. Despite having frequent leads. And despite at times overwhelming play in periods one and two.

If you think that call was what lost us the game, ask yourself this: "Why did he have a breakaway in the third period at all? Why haven't we had any?"

I don't get into bitching about penalties and blaming games on them. For the most part penalties even out in my opinion. I know alot of these rules aren't there to make sure it never happens but to keep things in check. Obviously a slash to the face is called every time. Holding, interference, slashing are examples of rules that aren't made to 100% prevent it but to keep it in check. If a team does one or more of these things to frequently and to aggressively it is a penalty. You CAN do these these things all game within reason and not be called, the league knows they can't or shouldn't stop it all together even though the rule says you can't. They make the rules its illegal so when the refs do step in and enforce a penalty they are protected by being correct in the rule book. It's plain and simple. Most of the time penalties balance out, yes even against the Wings. Sure once in a great while a game doesn't balance out by the end of that night, but it does the next game.

But that call on the penalty shot, aside from the fact the rule says you can't slash the hands... Was crap. He played him very well there isn't much less he could of done to try and make a play. He let the guy know he I'm behind you so you better make a quick play. That's all he was trying to do. I have not seen a weaker penalty shot be called ever, especially in the playoffs in a tight one goal game.

Guest The Axe

My beef is that we get penalized more even when we have the better team.

The biggest issue with assuming a long-standing conspiracy within an organization is the assumption carries a requirement that the people conspiring are competent and somewhat forward-looking to anticipate new ways to implement the conspiracy anew.

I don't know about anyone else, but the brain trust of the NHL, in my opinion, aren't competent and sure as hell aren't forward looking.

The biggest issue with assuming a long-standing conspiracy within an organization is the assumption carries a requirement that the people conspiring are competent and somewhat forward-looking to anticipate new ways to implement the conspiracy anew.

I don't know about anyone else, but the brain trust of the NHL, in my opinion, aren't competent and sure as hell aren't forward looking.

For years my father has claimed that the league "hates the Wings" or "wants Detroit to lose" or whatever. I constantly have to remind him that we are the most successful organization of the last two decades. If there is a conspiracy against the Wings, it's the least successful conspiracy ever. Why would anybody give a rat's ass about an ineffective conspiracy?

For years my father has claimed that the league "hates the Wings" or "wants Detroit to lose" or whatever. I constantly have to remind him that we are the most successful organization of the last two decades. If there is a conspiracy against the Wings, it's the least successful conspiracy ever. Why would anybody give a rat's ass about an ineffective conspiracy?

the league doesn't fix games so to speak but they can nudge/push games in a certain direction with schedule (remember round 2 against Pens when the series started on a weekend which hadn't happened in something like 30 years and the Wings got LESS rest for winning that series in 6 vs. 7 games, lidstrom's family jewels being out of commission and all etc)

and with ref assignments, which they refuse to spell out any length of time in advance, and yes, the league, all leagues, keep stats on their officials, some more prone to call sticks, obstruction, more majors, etc,

Dan O'Halloran, who literally has been quoted as saying he "hates the city of Detroit" reffred games 1, 5 and 7 of the Pens series for instance.

Guess who was reffing game 6 two days ago when the league needed a Chicago win for a lucrative O6 game 7?

and then you have the NHL higher up who , again, literally admitted in the press that it's good for the league when the series go long, are extended to 7 games for revenue purposes. Sorry I don't have a link right now but all this has been discussed and documented here and other places.

and finally, although I haven't checked this year or lately, I know that for many years in a row how do you explain the Red Wings being, over an 82 game schedule, one of the LEAST penalized teams league wide but during the PO's they suddenly are one of the most penalized? How do you explain an Anaheim team that's one of the most penalized during the season and all of a sudden Detroit is penalized more than Anaheim. Has happened more than once as well. And this from a skilled 'soft', euro team as well???

go ahead and respond with snark and derision but the FACTS are on my side, again, it's all been hashed out and DOCUMENTED.

My beef is that we get penalized more even when we have the better team.

see my post above, amazing how they have been in the past one of the least penalized teams over 82 games and then end up getting called for more penalties than even clutch and grab opponents like Anaheim et all. Has happened multiple times. Once is one thing.