Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

WCSF Game 7 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Blackhawks 2 OT (CHI wins series, 4-3)

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#1021 UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Honestly, I didn't think the Wings would make it into the playoffs this year when Lidstrom decided to retire, and we lost Stuart, Holmstrom.  I felt our blueline would be way too weak and we would give up too many goals (and we did).  I really didn't think we had much of a chance against the Ducks, and definitely didn't think we could hang with the Blackhawks this year!  But this team surprised me!  The young guys picked up some great experience, this experience will make them hungrier and more determined, and the mistakes and inconsistency will be reduced!  I agree that some changes are needed, I won't name names, but most of you know who they are!  The Blackhawks found their game and proved they were the better team, good luck to them!  The Wings future is bright, with a lot of young, capable talent!  They will get better and I see many more playoff runs coming!  GO WINGS!

#1022 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

You were 'likes to fight' guy weren't ya:)

No.  

Just never could get over losses.  Especially having your season end in OT.  Haven't experienced that s*** since 2004.

I feel I'll be better at it now, but still pissed nonetheless.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#1023 PuckY18

PuckY18

Prospect

• 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Better team won. We were lucky to take it to game 7, and even to OT.

I don't know how anyone can say the wings were lucky to get to this point.  They dictated play at times in this series, and this game, and they also had the play taken to them by the hawks (which was inevitable given the team chicago had). They had a great run, and I would even say they had a 50/50 shot of taking it in OT.  Just not this time.

Edited by PuckY18, 29 May 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#1024 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Sad thing is, we had this team down 3-1 and couldn't finish the job. As gutsy and gritty of a performance as we put on, they were ripe for the taking and we didn't take them.

I could call out Franzen, Filppula, Cleary (even though he has points, NOT a great playoff) Smith, etc. but what's the point. I hope the team shifts gears and gets some younger players to replace them with grit and heart and willingness to do what you have to do to win those little battles especially in playoff games. I know the Red Wings all too well and they will more than likely re-sign players they shouldn't re-sign out of loyalty or "they know the Red Wing system", which is almost as bad as the Canadiens signing players because they are French Canadian.

No kudos to the Hawks. We shoulda beat em. One bounce or deflection our way and we wouldn't be hearing that damn song. They got lucky.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#1025 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Hopefully Helm will be healthy and ready to go next season.

would have loved to see him and DeKeyser in for this series, way things went they could well have been the difference... Hawks didn't have a single player injured

#1026 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

I would like to send a big thank you to Matt and the other mods for making this an enjoyable place to discuss the Red Wings, but I do have one question: Does anyone know which setting makes it so you don't have to see posts from users you have ignored when other people quote them?

Edited by McAwesome, 29 May 2013 - 10:31 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#1027 Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Tough loss guys.

Whoever said this has been the funnest playoffs in years is right...funnest since 2009 to be exact.

We did alot better than anybody thought we'd do, including myself. Our 3rd line was amazing all playoffs, and that certainly is promising.

Z proved himself to be a leader time and time again.

Howard was outstanding.

Disappointed with flip and franzen, they could have made the difference.

Datsyuk didn't look as good as he did against Anaheim, but he can't do everything.

The thing that hurts is that we were up 3-1, and although i was trying not to, i was already picturing us in the western final.

The thing that really blows is that this will be the last battle with Chicago for a long time, and they have won the last one.

Think we have a good group for next season, but we need a top 6 forward, at least one.

#1028 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

I still just point my finger at Holland for not doing more to build this team up. I think these players, frustrating at times or not, did amazing considering the pieces in play. But I've been saying for ages now that it's stupid to not go for it when you still have Pavs and Z, and it was even stupider not to go for it when you had Lidstrom still too. You're going to be a good, competitive team every night still with Dats and Z in the lineup, and they've proven that this year if they've proven anything. I'm not saying we're one guy away from a Cup, but if we had a little more offense and a tighter D, I think we win this series. I'm not talking the need for stars either, though it'd certainly be nice. But to continually lose players and do nothing to make up for some of the loss just stings all the more right now. Like I've said literally for years now, if you're not going to blow up the team and really start rebuilding, do what you can to go for it. Sure, there are no guarantees, but it's brutally obvious that this team needs top-6 help at this point.

I hate to say it, really, I do, but I'm just saying, how do you think this series goes if Holland bites the bullet and gives up the 1st rounder for Jagr? In light of what they accomplished with this lineup, you have to wonder. I thought it was the right call at the time, and I think I still do, but you have to wonder right now. People always say that making moves is a gamble, but people rarely consider that not making moves is just as much of a gamble.

He didn't over spend a dime at the deadline and we were within one goal of making it to the conference finals against a team that I think we would've beat. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#1029 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

I am very sad and feeling deflated and it'll last for awhile.  But I feel horrible and empty for those guys on the ice who played their hearts and their asses off, especially in the 3rd period.  And fought tooth and nail, through injuries, to get to THE SEVENTH GAME WITH THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD.  They played like I knew they could in the third period; like they knew they could.  They were there for each other, like a team, just like the good ol' days and it was beautiful to behold.

But those of us who are still nit-picking, still pointing fingers, still raging, like somehow THEY let you down....What the hell is that about?  Get f****** real.  It is not about you or me.  It's about our team.

Anyway, I'm outta here.  I'll be back later when I calm down too.  Have a great summer and please - all of you take care of yourselves.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#1030 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

I say cut the fat and promote guys like Brunner and Nyquist to our top 6. I don't think Franzen is going anywhere let Tatar play on our third line. Much like our defense this year trial by fire it only benefits our young players

#1031 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

What the ? They are our archnemesis you don't congratulate them, I'd love nothing more than te Kings beating the crap out of this stupid team, I hate them. Too bad the Kings traded Westgarth because Bickel and Shaw would be in for a long overdue healthy fist of reality f*** YOU hawks Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

It's what you do when you when you are fair and Hawks deserve it. Coming back from a 3-1 and winning a game 7 in OT is something that you have to acknowledge as a great performance. That doesn't make the Wings performance worse. And it doesn't keep me from wishing the same winner like you in the WCF. ;)

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#1032 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

It's times like these that I question the logic of being a fan. The disappointments seem to far outweigh the good times. I don't mean this as an indictment on the wings, just sports fandom in general. I'm only rooting for the Harlem globetrotters from now on.

And its times like these I pick you up and say I cant wait to cheer for the Wings with you next year. Keep your chin up. This team is rebuilding FAST on the fly. The league has definitely taken notice.

#1033 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

No.  

Just never could get over losses.  Especially having your season end in OT.  Haven't experienced that s*** since 2004.

I feel I'll be better at it now, but still pissed nonetheless.  

I think all of us here deal with losses differently.
This will be much easier for me personally because the expectations from the seasons start were never very high.

But those losses over the last 22 years when we lost as a higher seed , my summers were hell, depressed etc.

Wings are the only pro team in any sport that makes me feel that and this way....love it!

#1034 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

This isn't as gut-wretching defeat as I thought it'd be. It the back of mind I never really thought we had a Cup winning team this year and I doubt most did (at least until we were 3-1 up on Chicago then I guess you can start thinking about it) I think it was a success to make the playoffs this year, the 2nd round was a bonus. The young players made strides this year and I'm excited about our future. I hope we cut the deadweight and make good decisions this off season. We can be a contender as soon as next season. Looking back I think we could be proud of our boys to push the number 1 seed to a game seven and look at this season as a vital building block for the next generation of Red Wing success.

Edited by Number19, 29 May 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#1035 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

I am very sad and feeling deflated and it'll last for awhile.  But I feel horrible and empty for those guys on the ice who played their hearts and their asses off, especially in the 3rd period.  And fought tooth and nail, through injuries, to get to THE SEVENTH GAME WITH THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD.  They played like I knew they could in the third period; like they knew they could.  They were there for each other, like a team, just like the good ol' days and it was beautiful to behold.

But those of us who are still nit-picking, still pointing fingers, still raging, like somehow THEY let you down....What the hell is that about?  Get f****** real.  It is not about you or me.  It's about our team.

Anyway, I'm outta here.  I'll be back later when I calm down too.  Have a great summer and please - all of you take care of yourselves.

I was leaving this mess 20 minutes ago but my juvenile temper is taking over...time to go play with the kids.  Have a good one. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#1036 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

we were within one goal of making it to the conference finals against a team that I think we would've beat.

If anything that is an argument FOR making the trade. We lost. but Jagr might have put us over the top, and that is the point of deadline trades.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#1037 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

GO KINGS!

#1038 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

sigh, Hawks' fans on Facebook were quick to pull out the rulebook on the penalty shot call, but now want to stuff the rulebook in the drawer on the no goal allowed call... saying the ref doesn't know what he was calling on that play and apparently oblivious to Saad throwing a punch at a guy with no helmet.

#1039 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Let's hope the Kings and Bruins make the finals. And that Flip is gone and we get a legit scored or two. I think our defense will be okay, but our offense needs help.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1040 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

And its times like these I pick you up and say I cant wait to cheer for the Wings with you next year. Keep your chin up. This team is rebuilding FAST on the fly. The league has definitely taken notice.

But.... It just hurts so bad.