• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

The last 5 teams to win the cup (Detroit-2008, Pittsburgh-2009, Chicago-2010, Boston-2011, Los Angeles-2012) are the only remaining teams in cup contention.
After tomorrow this stat will no longer be true as Chicago (2010 winners) will be out. :)
LGW

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#2 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

Interesting.  Maybe there is not as much parity  the league as everyone seems to think.

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

The last 5 teams to win the cup (Detroit-2008, Pittsburgh-2009, Chicago-2010, Boston-2011, Los Angeles-2012) are the only remaining teams in cup contention.
After tomorrow this stat will no longer be true as Chicago (2010 winners) will be out. :)
LGW

Word!

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

one of the remaining 5 teams will be the only team to win 2 cups since the 2004/05 lockout, LGW!!

#5 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

Interesting.  Maybe there is not as much parity  the league as everyone seems to think.

I think we're seeing a new kind of dynamic developing.  Top teams have their "core" players Pav/Dats, Kane/Toews, Crosby/Malkin etc, the key is the supporting cast around them.  You get a good supporting cast of cheap young players and cheap role players, but then those cheap players leave for for more money and you lose all your depth, so you have to start building your depth again.

I think success is going to go in cycles for the top teams for the forseeable future.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#6 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

I think we're seeing a new kind of dynamic developing.  Top teams have their "core" players Pav/Dats, Kane/Toews, Crosby/Malkin etc, the key is the supporting cast around them.  You get a good supporting cast of cheap young players and cheap role players, but then those cheap players leave for for more money and you lose all your depth, so you have to start building your depth again.

I think success is going to go in cycles for the top teams for the forseeable future.

I agree with this, Pavel Datsyuk is equal to two of their best players  :lol:

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

I agree with this, Pavel Datsyuk is equal to two of their best players  :lol:

Lol I saw this to!

But I think the core contains four to six players on several teams. Like Chicago's core is Kane, toews, hossa , sharp, Keith and Seabrook. They got one of the the bigger(6) but with the worst goalie of the bunch.

Our core is DAT z Howard and kronwall and the way fil and franzen play they don't count.

Pittsburgh should include letang.

But yes I do agree. The best team have the star core of 4-6 players then a good supporting cast.

#8 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

hopefully the wings win cause i dont want the hawks or pens to win or kings to repeat

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

And as I just read elsewhere, 4 of the 5 teams remaining have at least one top 3 pick on their roster.  Some have more than one ;)

Guess which is the odd team out? :P

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

LGW

HA!  Take that parody!  Uncle Gary wanted the Sharks in there so bad. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#11 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

LGW

I wish you didn't bring this up.  Some want to say that after tonight, the last 4 teams who won the SCF are the remaining teams in cup contention .... but of course, we will not let that happen !! 

#12 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

And as I just read elsewhere, 4 of the 5 teams remaining have at least one top 3 pick on their roster.  Some have more than one ;)

Yeah, but we do have a 13th overall pick on our roster (Daniel Cleary).

Edited by Nevermind, 29 May 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#13 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

I was just thinking this yesterday. Great stuff.

Toews: 3rd overall

Kane: 1st overall

Doughty: 2nd overall

Kopitar: 11th overall

Crosby: 1st overall

Malkin: 2nd overall

Fluery: 1st overall (LOL)

Sequin: 2nd overall

Datsyuk: 171st overall

Zetterberg: 210th overall

#14 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

LGW

I emailed your stat into Vancouver's team 1040 Sekeres and price tell me I'm wrong show, Prefacing it with, "tell me I'm wrong, there may not be as much parity in the NHL as we seem to think."

They saved it for last, said it was an excellent stat, and a great point, and they debated it for a moment. Just wanted to give you credit where credit is due. Thanks. Ciao

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

I pointed this out last night in the LA/SJ thread.  Certainly an interesting and unusual stat.

This is a dream scenario for the NHL.  Out of the final 4, there will be two original Six teams, the defending champs Kings (you know how much Bettman loves those west coast teams), and the NHL's golden team the Pens (with the league's two best players).  

The league couldn't ask for a better final 4.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

With the Ducks being the 07 cup winners, you could say that the last teams to win it all are being knocked out in order of their last cup win... I'm ok with this because it means that uncle gary and mario's illegitimate lovechild will be playing golf next, followed by the hawks until the kings repeat. :dntknw:

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#17 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Everytime I get s*** from my friends that are Pens fans or Hawks fans I just bring this up. "Hey, my team didn't have to tank it for 5 years in a row to get a bunch of #1 picks to be good." They usually don't have much to say after that.

#18 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

I emailed your stat into Vancouver's team 1040 Sekeres and price tell me I'm wrong show, Prefacing it with, "tell me I'm wrong, there may not be as much parity in the NHL as we seem to think."

They saved it for last, said it was an excellent stat, and a great point, and they debated it for a moment. Just wanted to give you credit where credit is due. Thanks. Ciao

I was on the road and hear it on the radio ... good job!  Didn't knew it came from this board.