• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

2013 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Wonder if Philly decides to buy out Danny Briere.....I've always wanted to see him here.

Great playoff performer too. Unlike Fil though, not very good defensively.

I'd give him a one-year contract if he gets bought out. But some other team will probably offer more money/term.

Guest blueadams

Wow, very conservative roster. Probably very similar to what Kenny will do, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if it looked exactly like this.

Why keep Filppula for 4 mil, though? You expect him to bounce back? 4 mil for his numbers this year is flushing money down the toilet.

He might be the top FA in this weak market. He'll get a raise.

I'm not gonna list numerous scenarios, but all I know is this team NEEDS to make some TOUGH DECISIONS and make appropriate decisions in order to make this team better going forward. Its time to drop the loyalty crap and get players who are willing to do what it takes to win game 1 of the regular season all the way till the end of the playoffs. If it means losing a "Fan Favorite" then so be it as long as it results in 16 victories in the playoffs.

Drop Sammy, White, Bert, Flip, and Monster.

Sign Clarkson, Bickell/Bozak (either one), Scuderi, Stalock.

Bring up Tommy Tater already!

Edited by mtuhockey7

Guest blueadams

If you're looking for something less conservative..

Step1: I get rid of everyone I hate. Compliance buy-outs for Quincey & Samuelsson. Normal buy-outs for Bertuzzi, Colaiacovo, Tootoo, Gustavson and Eaves.

Step2: Resign RFA's: N
yquist, Andersson, Kindl and Smith ($500K raise each) & UFA's: Filppula (no raise), Brunner ($1M raise) and Murask (no raise).

Step3: Recall Tatar, Jarnkrok and Mrazek.

Step4: Making use of all the cap-space I've created, I take on the enormous contract of a superstar forward whose team is looking to move on - - - Alexander Ovechkin.

Step5: I use the remaining cap-space to sign veteran defenseman Mark Streit.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.375m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)
Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.375m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Mark Streit ($1.900m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.383m) / (NaN)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)
OTHER
Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Jordin Tootoo ($0.567m)
Buyout: Patrick Eaves ($0.400m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)
Buyout: Jonas Gustavsson ($0.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,631,340; BONUSES: $1,365,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $33,660

Edited by blueadams

If you're looking for something less conservative..

Step1: I get rid of everyone I hate. Compliance buy-outs for Quincey & Samuelsson. Normal buy-outs for Bertuzzi, Colaiacovo, Tootoo, Gustavson and Eaves.

Step2: Resign RFA's: Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl and Smith ($500K raise each) & UFA's: Filppula (no raise), Brunner ($1M raise) and Murask (no raise).

Step3: Recall Tatar, Jarnkrok and Mrazek.

Step4: Making use of all the cap-space I've created, I take on the enormous contract of a superstar forward whose team is looking to move on - - - Alexander Ovechkin.

Step5: I use the remaining cap-space to sign veteran defenseman Mark Streit.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Gustav Nyquist ($1.375m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)

Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

Joakim Andersson ($1.375m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Mark Streit ($1.900m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)

Jakub Kindl ($1.383m) / (NaN)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)

OTHER

Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)

Buyout: Jordin Tootoo ($0.567m)

Buyout: Patrick Eaves ($0.400m)

Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)

Buyout: Jonas Gustavsson ($0.500m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,631,340; BONUSES: $1,365,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $33,660

Okay, so hypothetically, who all would be sent to Washington for Ovechkin? I couldn't even imagine how bad they'd drain our farm system with that.

We need to draft some of these players for sure.

If Holland doesn't acquire both Hingle McCringleberry and Jackmerius Tacktheritrix then you might as well give Mike Milbury a shot at running the team.

I think he should take a look at L'Carpetron Dookmarriot. The guy has some sick flow!

-Let Filppula walk

-Let White walk

-Only re-sign Cleary at reduced rate and only for the bottom 6. Otherwise he should walk

-Re-sign RFAs

-Re-sign Drew Miller

-Buyout Samuelsson

-Buyout Bertuzzi

I'd really like to see Franzen gone, but that's fairly unrealistic, so I won't go there.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Tatar-Nyquist-UFA

Abdelkader-Helm-Brunner

Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

Eaves/Cleary

Don't see the defense changing much from what we saw in the playoffs.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

He might be the top FA in this weak market. He'll get a raise.

Just wait, there are going to be a LOT of free agents around. There are a lot good/decent on bad contracts out there that teams will be looking to dump - Richards, Hossa and LeCavalier could all end up bought out for example. Plenty of teams are in a real cap crunch and will be unable to sign their UFAs, so there's a real possibility of guys like Horton hitting the open market.

-Let Filppula walk

-Let White walk

-Only re-sign Cleary at reduced rate and only for the bottom 6. Otherwise he should walk

-Re-sign RFAs

-Re-sign Drew Miller

-Buyout Samuelsson

-Buyout Bertuzzi

I'd really like to see Franzen gone, but that's fairly unrealistic, so I won't go there.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Franzen

Tatar-Nyquist-UFA

Abdelkader-Helm-Brunner

Miller-Andersson-Tootoo

Eaves/Cleary

Don't see the defense changing much from what we saw in the playoffs.

I agree with all of this except for Miller. He and Eaves are pretty much interchangable, and if we re-sign Cleary (cheaply) then we can't afford to waste a roster spot on a guy like Miller, as servicable as he's been for us. We've got a logjam of forward prospects coming through,and a lot of potential talent available on the FA market, so we need to have the roster space to take advantage.

Also, send Emmerton down to GR, there's a fair chance he'll clear waivers. If not, good luck to the kid, but with a healthy Helm, Andersson takes the 4th line C spot.

Edited by Nev

Just wait, there are going to be a LOT of free agents around. There are a lot good/decent on bad contracts out there that teams will be looking to dump - Richards, Hossa and LeCavalier could all end up bought out for example. Plenty of teams are in a real cap crunch and will be unable to sign their UFAs, so there's a real possibility of guys like Horton hitting the open market.

I agree with all of this except for Miller. He and Eaves are pretty much interchangable, and if we re-sign Cleary (cheaply) then we can't afford to waste a roster spot on a guy like Miller, as servicable as he's been for us. We've got a logjam of forward prospects coming through,and a lot of potential talent available on the FA market, so we need to have the roster space to take advantage.

Also, send Emmerton down to GR, there's a fair chance he'll clear waivers. If not, good luck to the kid, but with a healthy Helm, Andersson takes the 4th line C spot.

Yes exactly! Helm needs to be playing on the third line with some skill and speed! Imagine a Tatar- helm- brunner line? That should be a dominant third line that cause havoc and puts up some decent numbers

Guest DeGraa55

Honestly this team is a player or two away... Tweak the roster get a power forward get rid of Franzen, get Helm back get Dekeyser and they will be a top team next year.

Yes and no. You're assuming that all our young guys continue to progress. What happens of they take a step back next year?

And while Iagree we only need two guys. Two top 6 guys. The problem is I think Holland brings back clearly and fil. Leavingbus no room for the guys we need and were stuck with the same team.

I personally think we shouldn't resign fil or clearly and buyout franzen and one other bum(quincey mayne if you cant trade his high cap hit).:Giving us room to sign Horton and clarkson.

It's amazing how much this team missed Tomas Holmstrom....not one player on this team came anywhere remotely close to doing what he did. I think we need to replace that presence first and foremost. I wonder about the status of Ryan Smythe. If Homer was here, they'd have scored more power play goals this round. ( of course had some taken away too... :D )

Holland did very little during summers when there were a ton of good FA available. This year, there's practically nothing out there, so I'm not expecting much. The youth movement stepped up in the postseason and we're heading in that direction now. Let go of Cleary, White, maybe Filppula. Re-sign Smith, Kindl, Nyquist, Brunner, and Andersson. Call up Tatar. Get Helm back. I would really like to get a good top 6 forward, but I don't know where they would get one. Maybe Brad Richards if he gets bought out, but there's no guarantee he'd come to Detroit.

This offseason should consist of getting a top 6 forward, get another defenseman that's better than Quincey, re-sign all the young guys that are RFAs to longer deals.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Dekeyser coming back next year. I guess that solves that defenseman problem. Maybe pick up one for depth so we're not screwed when one of them gets injured and we all know it'll happen.

Edited by xtrememachine1

At forward, I'd like to see one of two scenarios...

#1:

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Franzen

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Brunner

Tatar-Andersson-Cleary

Miller-Helm-Eaves
Emmerton, Tootoo

Obviously, this means letting Filppula go. Unless he wants to come down from that lofty price tag, I can't justify wanting him back. I know Cleary's done, but the guy was a warrior for us this post-season (2nd on the team in points). That 2nd line isn't a "playoff" line, so that's where Cleary would slot in during the post-season for Brunner or Nyquist.

#2:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Filppula-Franzen
Tatar-Andersson-Brunner
Miller-Helm-Eaves
Emmerton, Tootoo

Similar to the first, but with Filppula in over Cleary. Either line-up would require an amnesty buyout for Samuelsson and Bertuzzi, as I think Nyquist and Tatar should be given a shot at full-time hockey.

I actually think the defense is pretty much locked down. While I'd love to add a RH shooter, free agency doesn't seem like it has or will have many options, and guys like Sproul and Jensen are still pretty far off.

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
Kindl-DeKeyser
Colaiacovo

I wouldn't mind if the team struggled some next year, so long as guys like Nyquist and Tatar are given a chance to show what they can/can't do at the NHL level. The free agency pickings are slim this season, and look better in the 2014 off-season (even excluding the ones who will likely be re-signed by their teams).

This off-season is a no-brainer, and doesn't have to be complicated. Just make this team better than it was this year, and keep pushing the kids along.

- Get a scoring winger for Pavel. All this player needs to do is shoot the puck. Ryder would do.

- Establish a legitimate 3rd/4th line punch. Slide Franzen down to flank Andersson + Tatar.

- Sign Nystrom to grind it out on the 4th with Helm.

- Helm and Andersson can be interchangeable.

FORWARDS
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Michael Ryder ($4.500m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.500m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Eric Nystrom ($2.000m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.500m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,019,545; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,290,455

Edited by rick zombo

This off-season is a no-brainer, and doesn't have to be complicated. Just make this team better than it was this year, and keep pushing the kids along.

- Get a scoring winger for Pavel. All this player needs to do is shoot the puck. Ryder would do.

- Establish a legitimate 3rd/4th line punch. Slide Franzen down to flank Andersson + Tatar.

FORWARDS

Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Michael Ryder ($4.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.500m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Eric Nystrom ($2.000m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.500m)

Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

OTHER

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,019,545; BONUSES: $1,010,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,290,455

I actually like your idea better than mine;

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Danny Cleary ($2.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($4.500m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m)

Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Jared Coreau ($0.925m)

OTHER

Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,607,254; BONUSES: $1,032,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,725,246

You know, I'm not a Franzen critic, but I'm glad someone else thought about maybe putting him on the third line. He'd score more consistently, he's decent at defense, and could do a lot of damage from there. Assuming, of course, we can get a reliable scorer to replace him on the second line.

You know, I'm not a Franzen critic, but I'm glad someone else thought about maybe putting him on the third line. He'd score more consistently, he's decent at defense, and could do a lot of damage from there. Assuming, of course, we can get a reliable scorer to replace him on the second line.

I said this at the beginning of the season.

Make him play 3rd line CENTER, He would have to be more involved, and he would have to play better two way hockey. Make this guy work.

As for Filppula, I'm not sure we should keep him. He busted up his knee earlier this year, and that could have been what was holding him back all season. I just think for the money he is going to want we will have better options for a bigger better scoring winger.

I was actually thinking about him, as well. He was paid like 1.4 million, though. Not sure what it'd take to scoop him up. Would be a physical upgrade over Miller, for sure.

Guest Hatethedrake!

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / David Clarkson ($5.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($0.850m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.000m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,369,545; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $940,455