• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

2013 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

We need a top 6 winger, Clarkson/Horton should be priority #2 behind a Datsyuk extension. Our defense can't be improved much with the free agents available, and I really like our potential on the back end with Kindl/Dekeyser/Smith and the depth we have in the farm system. Scoring was an issue, and I really think having an improvement of Abdelkader will go a long way.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg need top 6 help, having bigger body guys play 18+ a night would drastically improve this club, moving Abby down should help the team, he's a good player, but he's not a top line winger. Have to bring back our RFAs, and if it's possible explore trading for top 6 players, we have plenty of farm system depth, and Datsyuk/Zetterberg isn't getting any younger. I don't want to trade the whole farm, but we should be able to move one of our defensive prospects for forward help. Or look for a buyout on an overpriced winger.

Overall we don't need to do too much, we have a good future ahead of us, and with some more luck on the health end of things we have a very good team that can get the job done.

In spite of Holland's DISASTROUS F***-UP last off-season, this team's still got a ton of potential to win it all next season. Damage control.

Step one: Compliance Buy-outs for Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

Step two: Resign RFA's: Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl & Smith. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $500K for each.

Step three: Resign UFA's: Brunner and Filppula. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $1mil for each. (*I know Filppula sucks, but look at the market).

Step four: Call-up Tatar and Jarnkrok. I loved what our skilled young prospects brought to the team this season, and I want to see more of it. Jarnkrok might not be as ripe as we'd like him to be, but I'd still like to see what he can do.

Step five: Try to move Eaves, Colaiacovo and Gustavsson, if you can (*I'm not optimistic), to create some extra cap space. 1) I'm not sure Gustavsson brings more to the team than Mrazek. 2) Colaiacovo's probably going to be hurt all season, and we've already got 7 D-men signed. 3) No room for Eaves.

Step six. Work magic and acquire a top-line winger. Trade? Maybe. Free agent? Weak market, but we might be able to get someone. There should be at least 4mil available. More if we can move some dead-weight.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / *?*F.A. or Trade*?* (NaN)

Valtteri Filppula ($4.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)

Gustav Nyquist ($1.375m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

Joakim Andersson ($1.375m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)

Jakub Kindl ($1.383m) / Brendan Smith ($1.375m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,036,212; BONUSES: $1,170,000

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $4,433,788

flip jarnkrok and helm and this is probably the most realistic. Although. I think Flips is asking for 5m. Maybe this year ill humble him.

Really hope we keep Cleary around. While I think we do need different options for the top 6, I think he would be great on the 3rd line. He proved his worth to this team in the playoffs.

I expect to see Flip test the market, and I really won't be sad to see him go.

I'd like to see Franzen traded. Already said why in 2 other threads so I won't get into that here.

Two month's ago it seemed like Holland would have to go all genius to fix this team. Like miracle-mode genius.

Now all he has to do is sign one top six winger (Horton, Clarkson, Ryder, Ribero, Elias, Dupuis, etc) or trade with a team up against the cap.

Then let his UFAs walk, and use his own amnesty buyouts. He can do this in one afternoon.

Then Re-sign Brunner.

All very very very very do-able, even for Ken "Captain Conservative" Holland.

Buyouts - Samuelsson, Bertuzzi

Resign RFA's and UFA's - Filppula, Brunner, Nyquist, Andersson, Cleary, Smith, Kindl

Recall - Tatar

Sign - Stalberg

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Viktor Stalberg ($1.750m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Danny Cleary ($1.400m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brendan Smith ($1.750m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.500m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,052,879; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,257,121

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.750m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($2.100m)
Danny Cleary ($1.200m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.100m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Ryan Malone ($2.250m—50.0%) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,311,212; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,998,788

couldnt get malone to less than 2.250 but assuming he gets bought out id say he can be had for like 1.5 and we put him on the 2nd or 3rd line for a yr deal ... also just noticed clarkson's salary i got him at 5 mill dont know why it didnt show up here

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

All we need is a Power Forward who can finish and another role player who can shut down players. Our D is great and just needs time to grow.

Kron - E is a great shutdown line but we need a pair who can essentially prroduce. If we get a Rafalski type player to play with Dekeyser they can compliment each other.

The most glaring issue we had was finishing. You cant keep cycling a puck and shoot on the goalies chest and hope for a rebound everytime. Our kids on the third will be better next year but if Z and Dats can have a player they can pass to to score goals, we'll be right at top again.

This team doesnt need alot and Kenny knows that. He wanted to see what this team can do with its limited line up and hopefully reload properly. This yearvwas supposed to be a throw away anyways. Just no one expected them to gel as well as they have.

I look at this off-season in two ways: How do you make the best moves for the 2013-2014 season and still set the team up to take advantage of all the young players in the future?

Let's start by looking at the key players that should be on the roster in three years and will be under 30-years-old:

W: Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, Brunner
C: Jarnkrok, Andersson, Emmerton
D: Kindl, Smith, Dekeyser, Sproul, Oeullett, Lashoff

All four wingers have obvious top-6 potential. Jarnkrok tops the list of centers, while Andersson and Emmerton seem to be 3/4 guys to me. Our defense is young and solid, too.

So the team is set up to succeed in the future. I'm going to do my best to maintain that potential and still make the necessary changes for this upcoming year to put the Red Wings in contention for the Stanley Cup.

Obviously you hope Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall are all playing at a high level still.

Let's move on to taking a glance at the players that should be bought out:

W Mikael Samuelsson ($3,000,000 Compliance Buyout)
W Todd Bertuzzi ($2,075,000 Ordinary Buyout, $625,000 Cap Hit)
W Jordin Tootoo ($1,900,000 Ordinary Buyout, $570,000 Cap Hit)
D Carlo Colaiacovo ($2,500,000 Ordinary Buyout, $600,000 Cap Hit)

These are pretty straightforward buyouts and are self-explanatory. I don't believe too many people would argue these moves.

Let's move on to a trade that should be made:

The Red Wings send W Johan Franzen, D Kyle Quincy, C Riley Sheahan, 2014 2nd Round Pick, and 2015 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (if Franzen is still on the roster) to the St. Louis Blues for W Chris Stewart and W Ty Rattie.

Stewart is a Restricted Free Agent and is a top-6 forward. The Blues need defensive help and a bigger guy up front. Stewart is a 25-year-old who has been up and down in St. Louis. He's never played with guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, though. He comes over and is immediately signed to a 5-year deal worth $4,600,000 per year. The Blues would probably push hard to get Jarnkrok in the trade, but I think Sheahan and the two picks would suffice. The Blues are way, way under the cap so bringing in Franzen and Quincy don't break their team. Sheahan helps replenish their farm system, which is missing a solid center prospect.

Next, let's discuss the Red Wings' Free Agents to be Re-Signed:

RFA W Gustav Nyquist

RFA C Joakim Andersson

RFA D Jakub Kindl

RFA D Brendan Smith

(^No Brainers^)

UFA W Damien Brunner - No Brainer

UFA C Valtteri Filppula - I think the Wings bring him back on a two-year deal. If he doesn't have success with the second line, he is let go after the second year and the money is spent on re-signing Abdelkader.

UFA W Danny Cleary- I think he played himself into a contract during the playoffs. He really stepped up and is an obvious candidate to round out the roster in the bottom six.

UFA W Drew Miller- I think he is one of those filler guys that does his job on the 4th line. Bring him back and pair him with Cleary and Helm.

The Red Wings also bring in one Unrestricted Free Agent from another team:

UFA D Mark Fistric (Edmonton)- He is a young defenseman (26-years-old) who would be brought in to pair with DeKeyser. Fistric is a more physical defenseman and won't be mistaken for a power play guy, but he will bring the hammer and would be great for the second or third paring.

This leaves the Red Wings with a Final Roster of:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Chris Stewart ($4.600m)
Gustav Nyquist ($2.250m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($4.250m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($2.200m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Danny Cleary ($2.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.600m) / Brendan Smith ($1.345m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Mark Fistric ($2.775m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jared Coreau ($0.925m)
OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)
Buyout: Jordin Tootoo ($0.567m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,272,500; BONUSES: $1,192,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,220,000

What do you think? Is there other ways that you would improve the team?

Edited by _SP_

Quick question not so much regarding the offseason but more about fil. Does anybody understand why he's never really played with pav? From what I remember every time they have played together they've been dynamic. I just can't for the life of me understand why they haven't been given a legit shot

I don't think Kenny is going to outright come out and talk about compliance buyouts as soon as were eliminated. But if he keeps Samuelsson around... I'll have to rethink how I view Kenny. There, unquestionably, is no room for Sammy here or in GR. He's done. Can't stay healthy, and can't play when healthy.

im gonna lose it

I...think that he might be confused.....

“Next year, we hope to have Darren Helm back,” Holland said. “We hope to have a healthy Todd Bertuzzi. We hope to have a healthy Mikael Samuelsson. You can look forward to September 2013, and think we are going to have a real good competition” at training camp.

He better just be playin'.

Let's start with this

It doesn't look like Michael Ryder's second stint with the Montreal Canadiens will last longer than this past season.

Ryder's agent Thane Campbell told Le Journal de Montreal this week that the 33-year-old forward is not part of Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin's offseason plans.

Ryder, who was orginally drafted by the Canadiens in 1998, is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 5.

He scored 16 goals and 35 points in 43 games with the Canadiens and Dallas Stars this season. Ryder was acquired by Montreal for Erik Cole on Feb. 26, after he scored a career-high 35 goals and 27 assists in 82 games with the Stars in 2011-12.

He signed a two-year, $7 million contract with the Stars in 2011 after helping lead the Boston Bruins to their Stanley Cup victory.

a proven goal scorer,could help a lot to our PP next season

Ryder + Dickell would be nice if we strike out on Horton/Clarkson/Ribeiro. We would address goal scoring and toughness.

I really like the Ryder addition. Is it enough though? A revival in playing from Fil, and it should be, yeah?

This is what we should do, For sure boot White, try and boot Samuelsson which will be ard cause of his no-trade clause, keep Filppulla, keep Cleary, Keep Brunner and Miller, and Holland will sing all the RFA's.

Lines

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Zetterberg

Franzen-Filppula-Nyquist

Brunner-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Emmerton-Eaves

Too-too Bertuzzi, Andersson, and those guys call-ups

Defense

Kronwall Ericsson

Kindl-Dekeyser

Quincey Smith

Guest Hatethedrake!

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Drew Miller ($0.850m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.000m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.000m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,127,879; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,182,121

I do not see how Kenny fits in Bert and Sammy next season. I can see Cola over Lashoff possibly. What can Kenny do with 10 mil in Cap space?

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Guest Crymson

Quick question not so much regarding the offseason but more about fil. Does anybody understand why he's never really played with pav? From what I remember every time they have played together they've been dynamic. I just can't for the life of me understand why they haven't been given a legit shot

When Filppula scores on Datsyuk's line, it's generally because Datsyuk has done all of the work for him.

How about signing Clarkson and Stahlberg or Bickell and Stahlberg if Clarkson commands too much?

Brunner (adds more muscle in offseason), Z, Clarkson

Franzen, Dats, Stahlberg

abs, Helm, Nyquist

Tatar, Anderson, Eaves

Bert/Too too as extras. Let cleary, miller and flip walk. Buyout sammy

Guest Hatethedrake!

I will shake my head when Flip gets a long term deal averaging 5 mil a season. It makes me wonder if the Salary Cap is really working when a guy like him can make that much money in a season. I think Flip is a useful two way centre. But for 5 mil? No thanks. I'm fine with Tatar or Nyquist replacing him for a mil or less.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Horton

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar

Cleary - Andersson - Eaves

I really like Drew Miller and would want him back, but there just isn't room at forward. Buyout Samuelsson and have Bertuzzi sit in the press box. Emmerton is good for depth purposes; not really sure what comes of Tootoo.

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Kindl

Quincey - Smith/Colaiacovo

Lashoff

I would consider getting rid of Quincey if the Red Wings could secure an upgrade in the top-four on defense. The defense improved a lot over the course of the season, but they could still use a top-pairing guy to play with Kronwall. Finding that won't be easy, though.

Edited by GoWings1905

When Filppula scores on Datsyuk's line, it's generally because Datsyuk has done all of the work for him.

Yes and no. Tho pavel does do some amazing work I feel like Val feeds off of pavel and his game. Val is very skilled and when on us dangerous!

Also fil knows that dats is not a shooter so he knows he has to shoot the puck more apposed to when he plays with hank. Also I think fil sees all the incredible things that datsyuk does on the ice and it gets him going.

As well fil knows that pavel is so crafty and sees things unlike anyone else that he know if he just busts to holes and open areas he's getting the puck on his tape. I really wish they gave those two a shot together because every time they are together they catch fire.