• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

2013 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Drop Cleary, Sammy, Bertuzzi, go after a top 6 forward, keep Nyquist, Tatar, and Anderson up. The Defense is young, but is adapting well. Also bury Monster, he blows.

Well stated. Put Emmerton in a deal is about the only thing that you didn't include that I was thinking, but opposed to that, this is spot on.

Give Smith a chance, let's not throw him under the bus quite yet.

Edited by MabusIncarnate

id keep cleary on a 4th line hes proven hes a playoff warrior

Problem is Babcock won't play him on the 4th line, he will use him in the top 6.

Drop Cleary, Sammy, Bertuzzi, go after a top 6 forward, keep Nyquist, Tatar, and Anderson up. The Defense is young, but is adapting well. Also bury Monster, he blows.

Yeah I like all of these moves. Blueline should be fine, but they need some more intensive coaching.

What about Flipper?

I don't know about this one. Even for a discount, he doesn't seem worth much, unless he reveals an injury he had all season. A guy with a giant dropoff like his usually needs a change in scenery.

If Dano will take a reduced salary (reduced..) I'd like him back. But he's the only one of the veterans who I'd bring back, because he showed some heart and got some results.

Let Fil go, buyout Sammy, get a healthy Helm and DeKeyser back. Continue the growth from within, I'd love to see a guy like Clarkson brought in, but the season just ended. We'll see what unfolds.

much rather let filppula go and bring in clarkson at 5 per yr at least he hits and fights .... as for franzen i think we can buy out a player after next year without it counting?? so id keep mule one more year and then maybe consider buying him out i was checking cap geek and the last 2 years at age 39-40 he makes 1 million a year

if he retires early thanks to the new bettman rules we will be punished for those type deals severely and i dont see franzen sticking around those years ... zetterberg is in the same boat but i see him sticking around regardless

Yeah I like all of these moves. Blueline should be fine, but they need some more intensive coaching. What about Flipper? I don't know about this one. Even for a discount, he doesn't seem worth much, unless he reveals an injury he had all season. A guy with a giant dropoff like his usually needs a change in scenery.

Flip has been so invisible this season I plum forgot about him. If he takes a 2-3 season at 3-3.5 million, keep him, anything more than that, let him walk.

We have two buys outs we can use, right? I feel like using those on players who only have one year left anyway is a waste (Bert and Sammy). A more wise choice might be using it on Franzen looking towards the future.

Obviously I want Flip back, but if he didn't come back it wouldn't be the worst thing for the team as long as we got another second line center so Z and Pav can be put together.

Trade Franzgelina to either Vancouver or Dallas...those are the only two teams I see taking on those years...either way, adios! I cannot stand him, he lazed around the entire series for the most part and was barely visible when needed. Hossa didn't go lights out either, but you knew when he was on the ice...that being said, I still think the choice was wrong, but I don't want either of them on this team, we need a new direction.

TWO top 6 scorers are needed.

much rather let filppula go and bring in clarkson at 5 per yr at least he hits and fights .... as for franzen i think we can buy out a player after next year without it counting?? so id keep mule one more year and then maybe consider buying him out i was checking cap geek and the last 2 years at age 39-40 he makes 1 million a year

if he retires early thanks to the new bettman rules we will be punished for those type deals severely and i dont see franzen sticking around those years ... zetterberg is in the same boat but i see him sticking around regardless

No way, Franzen is trade bait... There is no way he gets bought out. Holland could actually get some good assets for him!

franzen is good trade bait????? just like luongo was ??? its hard to get rid of someone with such a long term deal

the only thing i could see MAYBE happening if we got lucky is a 3 way deal

vancouver gets

franzen

toronto gets

luongo

detroit gets

1st round pick

thats it ... either that or buy out ... no one will take a long term deal on a 33-34 yr old mule

Well stated. Put Emmerton in a deal is about the only thing that you didn't include that I was thinking, but opposed to that, this is spot on.

Give Smith a chance, let's not throw him under the bus quite yet.

Oh Smith has been run over and then backed over by the bus repeatedly at this point...

So as Red Wings NHL14 GM on my PS3 ;) I would

Let Flip go (should've traded him for something when we had the chance)
resign Cleary for a 4th line role
sign one semi-big name top 6er (Clarkson, Iginla?) so Babcock isn't "forced" to play Cleary on the first two lines
Buy out Sammy, throw Gus in the minors
I might be open to keeping Bert but he'll have to earn his spot on the everyday lineup
Sign a credible (not Conklin, not Monster, not some half ass attempt at a backup) veteran backup goalie to give Howard some nights off instead of being forced to run him into the ground
Promote the young guys to bigger roles on the team
resign Brunner
Keep Pavel at ALL COSTS

Clarkson/Iginla - Dats - Brunner (Dats and Franzen had no chemistry this post-season, why not try Brunner with Dats?)
Nyquist (hoping for 50 points from him) - Z - Franzen (Franzen gives some size to this line)
Abby - Helm - Tatar (could this be the new grindline?)
Miller - Anderson - Eaves (I liked the way Miller and Eaves the last few weeks of the season)

Emmerton - Tootoo

edit: I guess Clarkson and Iginla would be right handed shots so it wouldn't make sense to have the 1st line righty heavy. Fix accordingly.

Big E - Kronwall
Smith- Danny D

Kindl - Quincey
Colo

Howard
FA backup

If Brunner and the young guys aren't performing you still have the capspace to make some moves.

Edit: Seems I forgot Cleary, maybe we don't have room for him after all. We just have too many bottom plug guys that fortunately or unfortunately all played solid and interchangably. :/

Edited by Number19

Question...

Do any of the kids get sent down to GR for the playoffs? Looks like the Griffs could use some help against the Barons.

I could see Smith going...he needs all the games he can get.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Horton

Tatar-Z-Clarkson

Mule-Helm-Brunner

Abby- Andy- Eaves

Tootoo

Same D

Question...

Do any of the kids get sent down to GR for the playoffs? Looks like the Griffs could use some help against the Barons.

I could see Smith going...he needs all the games he can get.

I dont think Smith can. But Nquist, Andy, and maybe even Brunner are able to

Big E - Kronwall

Smith- Danny D

Kindl - Quincey

Colo

Don't deal Quincey? It would be nice to get an upgrade on him. I think after Smith, he drew the most ire of any D-Man during the playoffs (and the mini-playoffs at the end of the season). He just doesn't fit into the Wings system very well.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Horton

Tatar-Z-Clarkson

Mule-Helm-Brunner

Abby- Andy- Eaves

Tootoo

Same D

I dont think Smith can. But Nquist, Andy, and maybe even Brunner are able to

If we could get Clarkson AND Horton I think I'd have to change my shorts...I was so sick of watching our guys get pushed around by other teams. We need some guys that can get mean and still produce.

Don't deal Quincey? It would be nice to get an upgrade on him. I think after Smith, he drew the most ire of any D-Man during the playoffs (and the mini-playoffs at the end of the season). He just doesn't fit into the Wings system very well.

Before the last week of the season I'd be alllllllllllll for it but I think he stepped up when it mattered most (stupid check on the nogoal tonight aside). Also I'm not sure who would take on his contract. But sure, if we could trade him for a better and right-handed defensemen I wouldn't be up in arms.

Edited by Number19

Guest blueadams

In spite of Holland's DISASTROUS F***-UP last off-season, this team's still got a ton of potential to win it all next season. Damage control.

Step one: Compliance Buy-outs for Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

Step two: Resign RFA's: Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl & Smith. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $500K for each.

Step three: Resign UFA's: Brunner and Filppula. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $1mil for each. (*I know Filppula sucks, but look at the market).

Step four: Call-up Tatar and Jarnkrok. I loved what our skilled young prospects brought to the team this season, and I want to see more of it. Jarnkrok might not be as ripe as we'd like him to be, but I'd still like to see what he can do.

Step five: Try to move Eaves, Colaiacovo and Gustavsson, if you can (*I'm not optimistic), to create some extra cap space. 1) I'm not sure Gustavsson brings more to the team than Mrazek. 2) Colaiacovo's probably going to be hurt all season, and we've already got 7 D-men signed. 3) No room for Eaves.

Step six. Work magic and acquire a top-line winger. Trade? Maybe. Free agent? Weak market, but we might be able to get someone. There should be at least 4mil available. More if we can move some dead-weight.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / *?*F.A. or Trade*?* (NaN)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.375m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.375m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.383m) / Brendan Smith ($1.375m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,036,212; BONUSES: $1,170,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $4,433,788

Edited by blueadams

In spite of Holland's DISASTROUS F***-UP last off-season, this team's still got a ton of potential to win it all next season. Damage control.

Step one: Compliance Buy-outs for Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

Step two: Resign RFA's: Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl & Smith. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $500K for each.

Step three: Resign UFA's: Brunner and Filppula. I'm not sure what the raises are going to be. I'll pencil in $1mil for each. (*I know Filppula sucks, but look at the market).

Step four: Call-up Tatar and Jarnkrok. I loved what our skilled young prospects brought to the team this season, and I want to see more of it. Jarnkrok might not be as ripe as we'd like him to be, but I'd still like to see what he can do.

Step five: Try to move Eaves, Colaiacovo and Gustavsson, if you can (*I'm not optimistic), to create some extra cap space. 1) I'm not sure Gustavsson brings more to the team than Mrazek. 2) Colaiacovo's probably going to be hurt all season, and we've already got 7 D-men signed. 3) No room for Eaves.

Step six. Work magic and acquire a top-line winger. Trade? Maybe. Free agent? Weak market, but we might be able to get someone. There should be at least 4mil available. More if we can move some dead-weight.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)

Valtteri Filppula ($4.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)

Gustav Nyquist ($1.375m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Joakim Andersson ($1.375m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / *?*F.A. or Trade*?* (NaN)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)

Jakub Kindl ($1.383m) / Brendan Smith ($1.375m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,036,212; BONUSES: $1,170,000

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $4,433,788

Wow, very conservative roster. Probably very similar to what Kenny will do, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if it looked exactly like this.

Why keep Filppula for 4 mil, though? You expect him to bounce back? 4 mil for his numbers this year is flushing money down the toilet.