• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#241 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Because there's no guarantee that you'd get another job.

If a team wants to pay you 2/3 of your salary to not play for them and you can go make another 2 mil playing for someone, why stick around on a team that doesn't need/want you??   

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#242 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Because there's no guarantee that you'd get another job.

and definitely no guarantee that if you get another job it'd be on a cup contender

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#243 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Unfortunately the NHL is already in the process of phasing it out of the game.

McKee will be forced to wear a visor and any time he starts a fight he'll end up with an extra 2 minutes. Either for taking his helmet off, or for starting a fight wearing a visor.

The OHL has already instituted a 10 fight per season limit before suspensions and fines, its only a matter of time before a similar rule is proposed in the NHL.

I know there are still a bunch of heavyweights in the league, but McKee is probably around 4 or 5 years away from playing in the league...a lot can change in that time.

I'm pretty sure that instigating with a visor isn't called if the player removes his helmet prior to the fight.

#244 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

And is free to sign another contract with another team and get paid twice!

Boom. Hello Flodida!

#245 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Not surprising, but Jagr won't be back with the Bruins.

http://prohockeytalk...ure-less-clear/

I wonder if this is someone Holland takes a chance on.  

Pros: Jagr will probably sign just a one year deal wherever he goes.  We NEED a top six forward and the pickings are kind of slim.  We saw with Boston that he can be a strong two way player.  He is and always has been a puck possession player.

Cons: He'll sign with the highest bidder, which makes him too expensive.  Maybe it had to do with injury, but he looked like a 41 year old player by the end of the SCF and this was a shortened season.

I wouldn't want him taking a roster spot from one of our up and coming young guns, but at the same time, I don't see any of them being a top 6 forward next year and if we don't get someone, we're looking at Cleary, Samuelsson or Bertuzzi (or possibly all of them) in the top 6.

#246 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

No to Jagr.

#247 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

As much as I do like/respect jagr, we're better off without him. And yea, we won't be top bidders so we won't get him

Not surprising, but Jagr won't be back with the Bruins.

http://prohockeytalk...ure-less-clear/

I wonder if this is someone Holland takes a chance on.  

Pros: Jagr will probably sign just a one year deal wherever he goes.  We NEED a top six forward and the pickings are kind of slim.  We saw with Boston that he can be a strong two way player.  He is and always has been a puck possession player.

Cons: He'll sign with the highest bidder, which makes him too expensive.  Maybe it had to do with injury, but he looked like a 41 year old player by the end of the SCF and this was a shortened season.

I wouldn't want him taking a roster spot from one of our up and coming young guns, but at the same time, I don't see any of them being a top 6 forward next year and if we don't get someone, we're looking at Cleary, Samuelsson or Bertuzzi (or possibly all of them) in the top 6.

more importantly, it seems horton might hit the open market.. could be very appealing if all goes well with his shoulder

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#248 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

No to Jagr.

1 million times this.

This team needs to pick up someone that is young.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#249 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

i heard carolina is willing to give up the #5 pick for a top 4 dman i would give up smith or quincey(if they wanted him and could extend him only) and more to get that pick if  nichushkin  is available .  id love to see him next to datsyuk next year

and since ference is not gonna be resigned maybe we can go after him as a 5-6dman depending the price

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 26 June 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#250 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

i heard carolina is willing to give up the #5 pick for a top 4 dman i would give up smith or quincey(if they wanted him and could extend him only) and more to get that pick if  nichushkin  is available .  id love to see him next to datsyuk next year

and since ference is not gonna be resigned maybe we can go after him as a 5-6dman depending the price

Seemes strange that they would do this. There are a decent handful of top 4 D-men available as UFAs. If they're looking for a legit top 2 pairing D-man, then that's a different story all together.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#251 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

Canes would be insane to trade the #5 pick for Smith or Quincey. They could simply take a defenseman with that pick.

#252 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

well i said + .... smith/tatar/ferraro ? ... i wouldnt wanna trade tatar but id love to see nichuskin with datsyuk i think theyd do alot of good things and it be nice to see datsyuk with elite talent on his wing

#253 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

i heard carolina is willing to give up the #5 pick for a top 4 dman

You're going to need to cite your source, because that seems fantastically unlikely. It is probable that Darnell Nurse will still be available at #5, and he is an excellent defensive prospect. There is no reason for the 'Canes to trade that possibility away in return for a second-pairing defenseman.

#254 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

dont remember where i read it but found these

Carolina will entertain offers for its 5th-overall pick in hopes of landing a top-4 D-man, GM Jim Rutherford told @theteam1260 Tuesday.

— Dylan Howlett (@DylanHowlett) June 6, 2013

1. Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.

2. Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.

#255 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

So my question is, would any of you trade Brendan Smith plus whatever for that 5th overall pick so long as we kept our 18th as well?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#256 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

So my question is, would any of you trade Brendan Smith plus whatever for that 5th overall pick so long as we kept our 18th as well?

No question about it. Darnell Nurse projects to be similar to Smith, and we'd still get another prospect at 18.

#NOMOREKINDL

#257 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

in a heartbeat so long as its nicushkin but i guess barkov would be great as well

#258 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

dont remember where i read it but found these

Carolina will entertain offers for its 5th-overall pick in hopes of landing a top-4 D-man, GM Jim Rutherford told @theteam1260 Tuesday.

— Dylan Howlett (@DylanHowlett) June 6, 2013

1. Further to the Carolina tweet. There are financial restrictions the Hurricanes face. Need a top 4 D, but can't pay Letang-like dollars.

2. Interested to see if Carolina trades the 5th pick. Need a top 4 D. Could be part of a package. Told Rutherford is getting lots of calls.

As with Dreger's comment about Pittsburgh possibly trading Malkin, those are 100% speculative. They do not reference any insider information.

#259 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

well i also remember you saying that about filppula's salary demands months ago and we all know it turned out to be correct

who knows what will happen on draft day , they wont just give away a top 5 pick but i do believe there seeing whats out there

#260 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Um, if you have financial issues then isn't having a young prospect from draft a little more desirable than trading pick for some established guy's bloated contract?