• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilmrt

2013 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I figured he'd want more than he's worth. And I don't know what the author of that article was smoking, because Cleary was assuredly not healthy last season.

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about him wanting more money. It's just a fluff piece to fill the writer's quota for the day. Nothing was said that isn't already obviously true. Cleary played well and made a case for himself in the playoffs. Weak free agent class means he COULD make more if he wanted. Limited money and roster spots with Wings. Will Cleary take a discount?

None of that is a revelation.

Edited by kipwinger

I almost feel like Samuelsson being bought-out should be a foregone conclusion, but it somehow still feels like it won't happen. I really want to see that whole Griffins line up with the team next season, and letting go of some guys or buying others out needs to happen for that to occur. I really don't think Cleary would expect, nor would he get a raise from that 2.8 million, and I think it should be him OR Bertuzzi on the team - not both. I've got this gut feeling that both will be here, though... and that maybe Emmerton will be placed on waivers.

I like our current cap situation. After this 2013-2014 season we have a very thinned out cap sheet (no old ineffective players) that can be filled out well with our prospects which should be more than ready by that point. We can use our amnesty buyouts this year to make room for a couple deserving youngsters (Tatar, Nyquist, Deke) and then add a few more the following years when contracts expire. We obviously need to give big E a bit of a raise next season and our young guys will see small raises this season. As much as I hated the deals holland made last offseason I can see that they were insurance deals that don't hurt us in the long-run.

Guest Crymson

As far as potential draft picks go, what about Max Domi? I'd like to see him in the wings system. Thoughts...

Thoughts are that he's a small center and we don't need more small centers.

This is why I really like Gauthier. Just not sure his offense will fully translate to the NHL, but the guy is huge already.

Guest Johnz96

As far as potential draft picks go, what about Max Domi? I'd like to see him in the wings system. Thoughts...

He is short but stocky and very strong at 5'10" 195lbs and growing. He is much more physical, heavier, and stronger than some of the taller guys being mentioned as possible targets for the Wings and more skilled and dynamic.

Because of his size (height) he will be a steal in the draft. He is rated to go lower than his taller Knights' teammate Horvath but is much more dynamic, much more productive as well as being stronger and more physical.

Edited by Johnz96

I don't think we could pass on him if he fell to us. The only reason he could fall would be the size factor - everything else is there. Gauthier might not be able to produce at the NHL level looking at his current numbers.

Max Domi could be the steal of the draft, if he continues to add muscle but I think the Wings should either go for a shutdown defenseman OR a powerforward type of a guy, which Domi is not.

But....so...many...defensemen.

A big powerforward, though? Yes please.

Domi is a unique skill/all-heart guy that can agitate other teams as well. These guys are the ones you hate on any other team than your own. Id love him if he fell to us. He may not be a big kid but he plays big.

I would be happy if the Wings could get Frederik Gauthier, dude has great size and is nasty, 6'5 210 and then hope that Ryan Pulock could fall into the second round. This would give the Wings two big upcoming guys at center and defense, add to that one of Clarkson/Horton + an enforcer and the smallish, pushed around Wings things are going to be a thing of the past soon.

Third round Michael Wheatton without question the guy is 6,4 and already at 228 what a beast.

Edited by frankgrimes

I would be happy if the Wings could get Frederik Gauthier, dude has great size and is nasty, 6'5 210 and then hope that Ryan Pulock could fall into the second round. This would give the Wings two big upcoming guys at center and defense, add to that one of Clarkson/Horton + an enforcer and the smallish, pushed around Wings things are going to be a thing of the past soon.

Third round Michael Wheatton without question the guy is 6,4 and already at 228 what a beast.

I am not so sure Pulock falls, Santini maybe. But yeah, Gautier would be awesome!

Guest Johnz96

All of the scouting reports I've read suggest that he is a gentle giant.

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Kronstantinov

Domi is a unique skill/all-heart guy that can agitate other teams as well. These guys are the ones you hate on any other team than your own. Id love him if he fell to us. He may not be a big kid but he plays big.

Because of his height, he is going to be the steal of the first round. Anybody that's watched the Knights can attest that he led them to the Memorial Cup. He is a easily a better player than Horvath (a very good player in his own right) and more physical yet because of a few inches is ranked lower. Judging by the rankings he could be available at 18, if he is, the Wings should definitely snap him up.

Guest Kronstantinov

All of the scouting reports I've read suggest that he is a gentle giant.

I don't know anything about Wheatton but I am guessing you mean Gauthier. Gauthier is tall and not very physical and nowhere near as good a player as Domi who plays much tougher.