• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#261 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

Shero is going from GM of the year to textbook example of what you can't do in the new NHL cap era.... give it a few years at most.

Penguins fans are demanding that he fire Bylsma and blow up the team.

#262 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Shero is going from GM of the year to textbook example of what you can't do in the new NHL cap era.... give it a few years at most.

Really?  Because it seems as though quite a few on here at the trade deadline were bemoaning how Holland had lost his touch, how Detroit was no longer a destination, how the Wings surely won't make the playoffs, mocking the "we like our team" line ad nauseum.  So now it turns out that wasn't the case after all.  Not really seeing any of the mea culpa posts.  Sometimes standing pat at the trade deadline is a brilliant move.  I'm hoping this all resonates this summer during free agency and at the trade deadline next year, but it likely won't. 

#263 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Har har, I get it...the Penguins and Bettman are in cahoots.  In the future if you're going to insinuate that there's some sort of league wide conspiracy in favor of a team, you should at least pick a team that wins relatively frequently.  Given that Boston has been to the finals two of the last three years wouldn't they be a more logical choice to support this whole "league wants team X to win" idea?  Furthermore if the league does want the Pens to win, and they still get pathetically beaten, then the conspiracy isn't worth talking about because it's so utterly unsuccessful. This Penguins/Bettman conspiracy talk is getting SOOOOOOO old. 

Ditto to you.

Are your complaining get's old.

#264 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

From TribLive, a Western PA news source:

Well, at least the Penguins did it their way.

Give 'em that much.

At least they showed the hockey world that their way was right. That all those changes and adjustments, all those strategic shifts and personnel switches, all that stuff was for losers.

Not for the mighty Penguins.

Not for the franchise that's now — say it with me — the NHL's four-time defending paper champion after getting swept out of the Eastern Conference final by slinking away silently to the Bruins, 1-0, Friday night at TD Garden.

Silently and stubbornly and stupidly, right to the end.

Complete story

I'm not sure why I get so much satisfaction from this. :w00t:  Don't care either.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#265 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'd like to point out the obvious fact that the Pens only won one more game then the Wings did this postseason.

#266 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Really?  Because it seems as though quite a few on here at the trade deadline were bemoaning how Holland had lost his touch, how Detroit was no longer a destination, how the Wings surely won't make the playoffs, mocking the "we like our team" line ad nauseum.  So now it turns out that wasn't the case after all.  Not really seeing any of the mea culpa posts.  Sometimes standing pat at the trade deadline is a brilliant move.  I'm hoping this all resonates this summer during free agency and at the trade deadline next year, but it likely won't. 

I think Babcock and injuries leading to opportunities deserve more credit than Holland.  At least regarding Holland's recent moves.  The kids getting to play as much as they did was not his plan.  The Tootoo deal is overpayment/too long a term.  The Samuelsson deal wasn't great either.  Also remember he was interested in Jagr at the deadline, but it got too expensive.  So Holland was exploring giving up assets for a rental.  

#267 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

More to the topic, that Chara glove save on Malkin at the ends was nuts.  

There's a great gif of it but I can't find one that's easy to post here. 

#268 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wow, I just watched it for the first time.  Talk about having no puck luck, Chara wasn't even looking at Malkin when he did it.  I guess you make your own breaks in this league, but damn.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#269 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

It was an amazing save and blind luck.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#270 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I am still a Holland critic, but I do have to eat my crow a little bit on the farm system. At the beginning of the year, I thought our prospects were junk, but my opinion has changed on that. Our prospects, in general, are not great, but they are at least good.

I agree with what Harold says about the bad signings, though. Injuries are the reason Babcock was able to put a good squad together this year. That doesnt speak well for Kenny.

#271 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

It was an amazing save and blind luck.

Absolutely.  It was just lying out and not giving up on the play. 

Right after he makes the save, one of his own players clips him in the head and he seems stunned, not even realizing he has the puck.  Then another Bruin skates by in front of the net and Chara crosschecks him out of the crease before he can even tell it's his own guy.  :lol:

Total chaos at the end. 

I'm sure I'll hate Chara when the Wings move East, but he's a great defenseman. 

#272 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

The team exceeded expectations in spite of Holland's offseason and deadline lameness. Pitt losing in the ECF proves nothing as they still went deeper than Detroit. Nice try though.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#273 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Right after he makes the save, one of his own players clips him in the head and he seems stunned, not even realizing he has the puck.  Then another Bruin skates by in front of the net and Chara crosschecks him out of the crease before he can even tell it's his own guy.  :lol:

Total chaos at the end. 

He made a good block also during that shift.

Am I the only one who was laughing when Malkin missed the puck on the one-timer?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#274 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

the NHL's four-time defending paper champion

:lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#275 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Heck of a finish a and I never thought go bruins would come out of my mouth. Unfortunately next round it will again.

#276 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I am one of those who are thrilled that the Guins got spanked ... bunch of spoiled rental brats.  I know Iggy is class but can't help but to feel a sense of poetic justice.  You chose wrongly pal.  Lucic afterwards commented on that.  That has to be one of the best trade that didn't go down for a team cuz it served as bulletin board motivational material!

Edited by RedWingsRox, 08 June 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#277 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

My favorite line from watching the sports talks shows here is "50 years from now, we'll look back on this and still have no idea how the Pens lost this series."  Watching Milbury and Jones on NBC was like watching them mourn over the loss of a friend, saying how surprising it was.  The sweep was the surprise, the results was not.  Sure the Pens had all the talent to win a Cup, but that's pretty much it.  It takes more than talent to win it.  Boston was well coached, well organized, they played a great defensive system, people were in position all the time, passes were sharp and frequent, nobody panicked when they had the puck and they capitalized on defensive breakdowns.  That's how the Pens lost. Boston was well prepared.  It was obvious from Game 1.  Bylsma will be gone, when your expectations are that high and your roster is that loaded, somebody has to take the fall.  I just hope they don't go out and get Dave Tippett to replace him.  Look at how much he got out of the Coyotes, I would hate to see him in Pittsburgh.

#278 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

My favorite line from watching the sports talks shows here is "50 years from now, we'll look back on this and still have no idea how the Pens lost this series."  Watching Milbury and Jones on NBC was like watching them mourn over the loss of a friend, saying how surprising it was.  The sweep was the surprise, the results was not.  Sure the Pens had all the talent to win a Cup, but that's pretty much it.  It takes more than talent to win it.  Boston was well coached, well organized, they played a great defensive system, people were in position all the time, passes were sharp and frequent, nobody panicked when they had the puck and they capitalized on defensive breakdowns.  That's how the Pens lost. Boston was well prepared.  It was obvious from Game 1.  Bylsma will be gone, when your expectations are that high and your roster is that loaded, somebody has to take the fall.  I just hope they don't go out and get Dave Tippett to replace him.  Look at how much he got out of the Coyotes, I would hate to see him in Pittsburgh.

New coach?  Tortorella!!! 

#279 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

Right after he makes the save, one of his own players clips him in the head and he seems stunned, not even realizing he has the puck.  Then another Bruin skates by in front of the net and Chara crosschecks him out of the crease before he can even tell it's his own guy.   :lol:

Total chaos at the end. 

It was Krejci he knocks down  :lol:

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 09 June 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#280 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

I have some thoughts. I will be sharing them.

Don't Toews me, bro!