• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Franzen Buyout?

Rate this topic

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:blink:

This has got to be the most rose colored post I have read in a while!

So if Dupuis - Crosby = Average player 2nd or 3rd liner.....then WTF does that make Franzen - Datsyuk & Zetterberg? Holey crap! Dastyuk and Zetterberg created playoff Franzen! If he didn't have those two he may not even be on this team, let alone a 3rd liner....

You say we are blinded by stats, but you are blinded by the Winged Wheel. Besides, isn't this argument about how good Franzen's STATS are for his cap hit?!?! I may be wrong, but I though that is the argument, his stats are great for his low cap hit....which his stats aren't that great anyhow...but whatever makes you sleep at night. Am I blind or is Franzen not playing in the playoffs right now? If he was so great he would have put at least one goal in games 6 or 7 on the PP or something to eliminate the Hawks...

Give me Dupuis on Datsyuk's line 100 times over Franzen...

When did I mention Franzen? This thread is about him but I was responding only to the dupuis talk. I think you're letting some pent up franzen frustration leak out here if you go off on someone who didn't even mention his name

If you feel so strongly against franzen, why would you want 2 of him?

I don't understand at all what you're trying to say with that last part. Datsyuk didn't score in games 6 or 7. Does that make him a bad player? In fact, we got our scoring from eaves , Anderson, brunner and Zetterberg. Is everyone else bad? Oh man too bad we only have 2 amnesty buyouts, we need to buy everyone out!

Guest The Axe

Well, because Franzen plays smaller than any of those guys you mentioned...

Yah, but he gets "tossed around" in the west, too. Soft is soft in any conference.

Guest Johnz96

:blink:

This has got to be the most rose colored post I have read in a while!

So if Dupuis - Crosby = Average player 2nd or 3rd liner.....then WTF does that make Franzen - Datsyuk & Zetterberg? Holey crap! Dastyuk and Zetterberg created playoff Franzen! If he didn't have those two he may not even be on this team, let alone a 3rd liner....

You say we are blinded by stats, but you are blinded by the Winged Wheel. Besides, isn't this argument about how good Franzen's STATS are for his cap hit?!?! I may be wrong, but I though that is the argument, his stats are great for his low cap hit....which his stats aren't that great anyhow...but whatever makes you sleep at night. Am I blind or is Franzen not playing in the playoffs right now? If he was so great he would have put at least one goal in games 6 or 7 on the PP or something to eliminate the Hawks...

Give me Dupuis on Datsyuk's line 100 times over Franzen...

No one can be expected to score at least a goal every 2 games. Even the best goal scorers. Ovechkin led the league in goals and couldn't score in game 6 or 7 to eliminate the Rangers and he had a lot more opportunity(ice-time, PP, go to guy to set up...) to do so and was facing a weaker team.

Guest The Axe

No one can be expected to score at least a goal every 2 games. Even the best goal scorers. Ovechkin led the league in goals and couldn't score in game 6 or 7 to eliminate the Rangers and he had a lot more opportunity(ice-time, PP, go to guy to set up...) to do so and was facing a weaker team.

People DO expect you to do SOMEthing though. Franzen doesnt bring anything else to the rink. If he isnt scoring, he's useless. Miller outhits him 2/1 with 1/3 the ice time. Put Miller up with Z or Dats. He at least wants to contribute.

I agree with all of you, but the debate was/is that Franzen is a great player when it comes to his cap hit. In all reality though, he is not. When he scores, he is good, but that is all he does. He does nothing else to help this team. So when he goes a month without scoring he is absolutely useless to this team. I agree that all players from Crosby to McMullinski go through streaks without scoring, but no one, and I mean NO ONE is inconsistent as Franzen, even players who are consistently bad are at least consistent in that regard.

The question was do you think Franzen should be bought out. I put yes, but only because I think Franzen should be off this team any which way they can get rid of him. It's time to change, I/We have put up with this lazy, inconsistent guy since he signed his "serious contract." It's just time to get rid of him...

When did I mention Franzen? This thread is about him but I was responding only to the dupuis talk. I think you're letting some pent up franzen frustration leak out here if you go off on someone who didn't even mention his name

If you feel so strongly against franzen, why would you want 2 of him?

I don't understand at all what you're trying to say with that last part. Datsyuk didn't score in games 6 or 7. Does that make him a bad player? In fact, we got our scoring from eaves , Anderson, brunner and Zetterberg. Is everyone else bad? Oh man too bad we only have 2 amnesty buyouts, we need to buy everyone out!

...and then the question was asked, name someone who can replace Franzen's scoring for under $4M and who is available this summer. I simply put Dupuis. Then you chimed in (a Franzen debate thread) that Dupuis - blah blah = average player. So this being a Franzen thread, the comparison was Franzen vs. Dupuis, in which Franzen - Dats and Z = AHL player...Dupuis could come here and score 30 more consistently with Dats and Z than Franzen. he just works harder for it. BTW, I don't want 1 of him on this team, so I don't know where you got the 2 of him thing... I just figured when you commented on Dupuis you were comparing him to Franzen since this is a Franzen debate, but no offense if you weren't.

Guest Johnz96

People DO expect you to do SOMEthing though. Franzen doesnt bring anything else to the rink. If he isnt scoring, he's useless. Miller outhits him 2/1 with 1/3 the ice time. Put Miller up with Z or Dats. He at least wants to contribute.

Same could be said of Stamkos and Ovechkin and they go plenty of 2 game stretches without goals and they make a lot more $ and have a lot more opportunity (ice-time PP time, less defensive teams...)to score goals.

Same could be said of Stamkos and Ovechkin and they go plenty of 2 game stretches without goals and they make a lot more $ and have a lot more opportunity (ice-time PP time, less defensive teams...)to score goals.

But Franzen goes 10 games wthout scoring...and 82 games without hitting or fighting for the puck or rebound. If it doesn't go in on the first shot, he is already turning around skating away...

Guest The Axe

Yup. Good analogy. Franzen is right up there with those guys in the trophy gathering and all star appearances. Oh wait ...

Guest Johnz96

...and then the question was asked, name someone who can replace Franzen's scoring for under $4M and who is available this summer. I simply put Dupuis. Then you chimed in (a Franzen debate thread) that Dupuis - blah blah = average player. So this being a Franzen thread, the comparison was Franzen vs. Dupuis, in which Franzen - Dats and Z = AHL player...Dupuis could come here and score 30 more consistently with Dats and Z than Franzen. he just works harder for it. BTW, I don't want 1 of him on this team, so I don't know where you got the 2 of him thing... I just figured when you commented on Dupuis you were comparing him to Franzen since this is a Franzen debate, but no offense if you weren't.

If we could get Dupuis for under $4m, I would be all for it but only if we try for Iginla, Clarkson, Horton and/or Bickell first. The Pens and Crosby play a much more offensive and less defensive game than the Wings and Pav, so even if he were to play with Pav, I wouldn't expect him to score as much as he did with the Pens and he has never scored more than 25.

How many times are you going to say virtually the same thing?

Look, it's extremely unlikely that Franzen will be bought out ... the various reasons being given throughout this thread.

Franzen may get traded, or he may not. His contract would be tough to move, given it's length. The Red Wings would likely have to absorb a long contract in any trade scenario.

Dupuis or anyone else may be a better player than Franzen, but you're not going to prove that to anyone here.

Guest Johnz96

Yup. Good analogy. Franzen is right up there with those guys in the trophy gathering and all star appearances. Oh wait ...

I posted in reponse to someone who said he didn't score in games 6 or 7 against Chicago to win the series like he is expected to score at least a goal in every 2 game segment. I was trying to point out that you can't expect that from anybody not even the best and ,most expensive goal scorers in the world.

How many times are you going to say virtually the same thing?

Look, it's extremely unlikely that Franzen will be bought out ... the various reasons being given throughout this thread.

Franzen may get traded, or he may not. His contract would be tough to move, given it's length. The Red Wings would likely have to absorb a long contract in any trade scenario.

Dupuis or anyone else may be a better player than Franzen, but you're not going to prove that to anyone here.

Well gee, then I guess we just shut down LGW and never debate about anything....

Guest The Axe

I posted in reponse to someone who said he didn't score in games 6 or 7 against Chicago to win the series like he is expected to score at least a goal in every 2 game segment. I was trying to point out that you can't expect that from anybody not even the best and ,most expensive goal scorers in the world.

And youre still off. Who else are you expecting most of your output from then, if not your top line winger? Everyone expects Ovechkin and Stamkos to score. And they dont get any slack when they go goaless for a while.

Guest Johnz96

And youre still off. Who else are you expecting most of your output from then, if not your top line winger? Everyone expects Ovechkin and Stamkos to score. And they dont get any slack when they go goaless for a while.

Everybody goes goaless for a while even the best and most expensive goalscorers and if you don't expect them to, you are being unrealistic and will be disappointed.

Guest The Axe

Everybody goes goaless for a while even the best and most expensive goalscorers and if you don't expect them to, you are being unrealistic and will be disappointed.

Yup! Remember Fedorov? One game without something specracular, and he's the laziest guy on the team.

Capgeek says it would cost $15M of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan

Guest Johnz96

Capgeek says it would cost $15 of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

If it's only $15, I think a lot of LGW posters would gladly pay out of their own pocket.

Guest The Axe

Capgeek says it would cost $15M of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

Exactly. We are sruck with My Little Pony for a while, unfortunately.

Franzen isn't going anywhere obviously. But it's sort of nice to see management is frustrated with his inconsistent effort as well.

Every contract we do isn’t going to be perfect,” said Jimmy Devellano, Red Wings senior vice president. “We have Franzen on a long-term contract. We’ve made a commitment to him, so he’s somebody we have to live with.

“But at least once in a while he scores a few goals. That he does do.

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/story/Franzen-is-here-to-stay--for-now?blockID=908837&feedID=3701

The article also makes it seem like the Wings are pretty sure that Franzen can be traded once his actual salary comes down.

Guest The Axe

If Im another team, why do I want Franzen at ANY price 3 years from now?

If Im another team, why do I want Franzen at ANY price 3 years from now?

To get to the cap floor. That's the beauty. His cap hit will be 3.9M, but he'll only actually get paid 2.5-2-1M in his final thee years or something. Perfect for some cheap-ass owner who needs to comply with the cap, but doesn't want to actually spend the money.

Pretty clever.

Guest The Axe

To get to the cap floor. That's the beauty. His cap hit will be 3.9M, but he'll only actually get paid 2.5-2-1M in his final thee years or something. Perfect for some cheap-ass owner who needs to comply with the cap, but doesn't want to actually spend the money.

Pretty clever.

So if everyone knows this, how is it clever? Seems like a death sentence for the GM of this fictional team that doesnt care about winning.