• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Franzen Buyout?

Rate this topic

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why would you buy him out? He only makes 3.7 something against the cap, and with that cap hit he's a tradeable asset.

the return for him would not be great, due to the length of his deal and his age

I think you have to look at amnesty for franzen after next season. We can use his production for another year but there is no way he makes it to 2020 as a useful player. By 2020 we will have current rookies getting nice big deals and we can't afford to have cap penalties hampering us long term. We will have Z's 6mill caphit for the next 8 years so we need to think about parting with Franzen's for the future.

Franzen would make a nice Florida Panther. Instead of checking guys he can meow at them and scratch at Patty Kane's mouthguard some more. I'd even go so far as to draw on wiskers and he could double as a mascot so he doesn't get bored during the season, and now apparently the playoffs.

Guest DeGraa55

To get to the cap floor. That's the beauty. His cap hit will be 3.9M, but he'll only actually get paid 2.5-2-1M in his final thee years or something. Perfect for some cheap-ass owner who needs to comply with the cap, but doesn't want to actually spend the money.

Pretty clever.

I

Even then idk. To get to cap floor I think they'd want a one year deal. Like the islanders with Tim Thomas.

Guest Playmaker

Capgeek says it would cost $15M of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

I'm relatively certain the point of the amnesty buyouts is that it offers cap relief. The team doing the buying out would not have a cap hit.

I'm relatively certain the point of the amnesty buyouts is that it offers cap relief. The team doing the buying out would not have a cap hit.

This is what capgeek gives as cap hit breakdown for buyout of Franzen. There is almost no cap hit for a few first years but there is in later years.

Johan Franzen buyout from CapGeek.com

• 2013-14: $25,974
  • 2014-15: $25,974
  • 2015-16: $25,974
  • 2016-17: $1,525,974
  • 2017-18: $3,025,974
  • 2018-19: $4,025,974
  • 2019-20: $4,025,974
  • 2020-21: $1,071,429
  • 2021-22: $1,071,429
  • 2022-23: $1,071,429
  • 2023-24: $1,071,429
  • 2024-25: $1,071,429
  • 2025-26: $1,071,429
  • 2026-27: $1,071,429

118 to 55 votes

Speaks wonders to me on this issue and thread still at hand lol

I voted no for this summer, but for next summer? It has to be seriously, seriously considered. He'll be 34 next summer, and we've still got another 6 years of that $4M cap hit after that. Buying him out next summer means we get the best out of the contract - cheap cap hit whilst he's at his peak, no declining production from an overpaid vet. It also means we don't get brutalised later on if he retires or we have to buy him out.

The money we'll still have to pay him is irrelevant. Ilitch has always been prepared to pay to win, buying him out like this is just another way for Detroit to leverage their financial power.

Guest Playmaker

This is what capgeek gives as cap hit breakdown for buyout of Franzen. There is almost no cap hit for a few first years but there is in later years.

• 2024-25: $1,071,429
  • 2025-26: $1,071,429
  • 2026-27: $1,071,429

Sorry, but I'm still not following. The point of the amnesty buyouts is to rid a team of a burdensome contract and give cap relief. Why would a team shell out millions to buy out a player only to still have a cap hit? What then would be the point of an amnesty buyout? Could someone clarify this for me?

Guest The Axe

I just dont understand why Franzen isnt committed to getting better.

Guest Playmaker

Truthfully, I don't think it's about the money. Franzen had a lot of injuries and possibly still does. He may have had to try and play a less physical game as a result. I know how competitive beer leaguers are, I can't imagine an NHL player just saying oh, well got the cash, I'm not going to try any more.

I don't see why Tootoo should be bought out. He did exactly what was expected of him-play physical, drop the gloves when needed, and put up a few points.

FooFoo also hardly played the 2nd half of the season, and after his bonehead penalty vs the Ducks, he didn't see playoff ice again..

FooFoo also hardly played the 2nd half of the season, and after his bonehead penalty vs the Ducks, he didn't see playoff ice again..

Well, they also got on a roll and Babcock didn't make any or very few lineup changes since then also.... Tootoo is an important part of this team. He has a roll and he plays it well. He will get lots of games the upcoming season...

Guest Playmaker

I'm just not seeing Tootoo as an important piece as the Wings move forward. He was a healthy scratch far too often in the regular season and the playoffs. That's not an indication of someone the coach values. The problem is there's not much to really do with him. He's signed through next season, doesn't have much trade value and I think the Wings have more pressing contracts to use for buyouts.

I'm just not seeing Tootoo as an important piece as the Wings move forward. He was a healthy scratch far too often in the regular season and the playoffs. That's not an indication of someone the coach values. The problem is there's not much to really do with him. He's signed through next season, doesn't have much trade value and I think the Wings have more pressing contracts to use for buyouts.

He played 42 out of 48 games...and like I said, once they got a role, Babcock didn't want to change to mojo...

Guest The Axe

He played 42 out of 48 games...and like I said, once they got a role, Babcock didn't want to change to mojo...

Because of injuries. Emdog played every game except 1 this year.

I don't think he is either.

While I'm happy he didn't throw any clear cheapshots, he didn't provide as much energy as I hoped. And his biggest hits are usually when he takes himself well out of position to make them. While it's nice to have another player on the Wings who will drop the gloves, the staged fights are useless.

Unless he suddenly develops some new aspect to his game, like being responsible defensively, Tootoo was a bad signing. He's overpaid for what he brings. I just wish the Wings had signed a player like him, but not him.

Guest Playmaker

Because of injuries. Emdog played every game except 1 this year.

I think he played in every one.

I don't think he is either.

While I'm happy he didn't throw any clear cheapshots, he didn't provide as much energy as I hoped. And his biggest hits are usually when he takes himself well out of position to make them. While it's nice to have another player on the Wings who will drop the gloves, the staged fights are useless.

Unless he suddenly develops some new aspect to his game, like being responsible defensively, Tootoo was a bad signing. He's overpaid for what he brings. I just wish the Wings had signed a player like him, but not him.

I was never crazy about the signing to begin with. He seems like he's turned his life around and he's active in the community and a spokesperson for youth suicide, and that's all admirable. But, I just never really looked at him as a typical "tough guy". I just found myself too many times asking "Is Tootoo playing today" because he just wasn't a factor in too many games either physically or offensively.

I think he played in every one.

I was never crazy about the signing to begin with. He seems like he's turned his life around and he's active in the community and a spokesperson for youth suicide, and that's all admirable. But, I just never really looked at him as a typical "tough guy". I just found myself too many times asking "Is Tootoo playing today" because he just wasn't a factor in too many games either physically or offensively.

I definitely wasn't a fan of the signing. 3 years at $1.9 mill is a little steep for his 10 minutes a night and hanging out in the pressbox come playoff time.

Guest Johnz96