Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Franzen Buyout?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Franzen Buyout?

Would you use an amnesty buyout on Franzen this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

What would Van want for him? Or should I say, be willing to give up

Edited by Flipper51, 30 May 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#22 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

No way, he is still a good player, and we can win with him. We also don't have many sniping wingers to replace him with. He's an asset, regardless of his "downfalls" as a consistent player.

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

As frustrating as it can be - who do we find via UFA to replace him?

I see the buyouts going to Sammy, and Bert...Those 2 will be replaced with the kids.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Honestly he is just frustrating to watch, but his contribution is worth his cap hit, especially if the cap rises during his contract. Free agency isn't exactly the talent hot bed it used to be. It's a seller's market and big name players go to the team that pays the most ridiculous contract. I doubt we could find anyone to use his cap hit better.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

I voted no.  I'm disgusted by his effort level in the playoffs and the fact that he watches Z and Dats work their asses off and can't even get open in a spot with a good shooting angle, but he still has value and he's still a top 6 guy, where not all of our top 6 are.  Our top 6 is Z, Dats, Mule, Nyquist and maybe Brunner.  That's 5 guys and Brunner may be a 2-3 tweener.

We also can't expect Ilitch to foot a large bill to buy him out.  that would be 40-50 mil would it not?  And like a few have stated, he still has trade value, so I'd push that route first. 

If I was GM and could amnesty buyout someone, it would be Sammy.  Tuzzi will likely be a LTIR and then retire after next season, so he won't really be taking a spot. 

I see the buyouts going to Sammy, and Bert...Those 2 will be replaced with the kids.

Nathan Horton and David Clarkson are really the only 2 that come to mind.  I thought you had to use an amnesty buyout during the season and the other if you choose to do so, in the offseason.  I could be wrong, but can anyone confirm this?

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#26 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Can't buy him out. Why reward his terrible effort, inconsistency scoring, and general disinterest with a $22.5M pay check and the opportunity to get paid more elsewhere? I hate watching this bum, but its never going to happen. I've said it for 3 years now: dock his ice-time, scratch him from time to time, do something, ANYTHING to get the guy playing like he should. He has had a free ride and he is way too comfortable.

Through 14 playoff games, Franzen ended up with 6 measly points and a team-worst -7 (tied for 3rd worst in the league). Worse than that, he played soft. Terrible effort, perimeter play, few quality chances despite the work of his linemates. Until a 3rd period flurry last night, he showed nothing. The guy has arguably the Top 3 skillset/talent on the team, but by far the worst effort. That is shameful. Imagine a guy with Zetterberg's drive given Franzen's tools (size/shot).

We can't buy him out, but next year when he is floating most of the season, can we stop pretending his point production off his linemates' work justifies his $4M cap-hit while he continues to cash $5M+ paychecks?

And can we put to bed his clutch playoff status, circa 2008-2010?

2008: 16GP 13G 18PTS +13 ($900K)

2009: 23GP 12G 23PTS +8 ($1.15M)

2010: 12GP 6G 18PTS +8 ($5.5M)

(AVERAGE: 1.157 PPG)

2011: 8GP 2G 3PTS -1 ($5M)

2012: 5GP 1G 1PT -1 ($5.25M)

2013: 14GP 4G 6PTS -7 ($5.25M)

(AVERAGE: 0.37 PPG)

#27 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Franzen was pretty invisible this series... I kind of forgot about him.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

He isn't consistent, but he still contributes. Keep him, just don't rely on him to carry the team.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Move Franzen if we can, if not buy him out. He is not worth the cap hit. Not now and not in the future. Those that defend Franzen like to say things like "you can't get a 30 goal scorer for 4 million per year". That is true, but Franzen isn't a 30 goal scorer. he has scored 30 goals in a season 1 time in his career-back in 08 when datsyuk and Zetterberg were also having their career years. if you look at his numbers Franzen is really a 25 goal per year guy, at best. Now who if the better buy? Franzen 33 at 4 million and 25 goals per year, or a guy like Ryan 25 and 33 goals per year at a 5.2 million cap hit? Ryan clearly is.

People are also tying in facts that have no bearing on Franzen. We are not a team with cap issues as of today. if he stays or goes we have room to spend. it is how we spend that matters.

The only thing that matters with reguards to Franzen is: can we get someone better? if so, you do it. There are some UFA's that are better, there are some that are equal and cheaper, and there is always the trade route. The biggest roblem with Franzen is he is 33 and only going to get worse. he is not a young kid that has time to improve. he is on the downward arc that everyone has after 30.

For those that are wondering about contracts, Capgeek has a very good section on this. If quotes the CBA and will provide the buyout rates for guys on the "contract advantage" list, which includes Z, Kronwall, and Franzen. If frnazen plays his whole contract, his cap hit is basicly 4 million per year. if he was to retire at say age 37/38 with 3 years left on his deal, his cap hit would be a little lower-about 2.8 million for the remaining years of his contract. Same is true for Z and Kronwall.

As of today, we have those 3 guys signed for 7/8 more years at a cap hit of 14.5 million per year. if all retire early are cap hit goes down to about 10 million per year.

It is possible that in 4 more years, we will be spending 1/7th of our total cap on guys no longer playing in the NHL. we need to fix this now, before it becomes a problem, and the guys in question still have some value, so that they can be moved.

#30 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

no but id buyout Sammy and bert bring goose and tats perminate

Sammy, yes. But not sure about Bert. Is there a deadline to buyout a player? Because I would like to give Bert a summer to heal and go from there. We are already a undersized team in the West; we'll be playing teams like Boston, Toronto and NYR next season. If you thought Anaheim and Chicago were physical with our small forwards...

#31 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Buy out our top goal scorer who has a cap hit under 4 million?   It worries me that 26 people have voted "yes".  What are you thinking?  The Wings aren't going to find a 25-30 goal scorer for any less than $3.9 on the market. 

Buy out Sammy 

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#32 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Buy out our top goal scorer who has a cap hit under 4 million?   It worries me that 26 people have voted "yes".  What are you thinking?  The Wings aren't going to find a 25-30 goal scorer for any less than $3.9 on the market. 

Buy out Sammy 

He isn't our top goal scorer anymore, and due to his decline in production he is going to be a 20 goal scorer. But your point remains it still doesn't make sense to cut him, however he should be a trade candidate. I don't want him getting board and influencing our young players.

#33 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Buy out Sammy 

He wasn't the top goal scorer, that was Datsyuk.  If Franzen doesn't score 7 goals in 8 games, not only do the Wings not make the playoffs, but he's obviously in single digits for goals and assists.  Is THAT worth 3.9 Million?  It's not like he had 40 GAMES before that to do something, but he basically didn't do squat.

I am thinking this team needs a serious kick in the ass and a restructuring.  What it doesn't need are guys with tons of talent but who sometimes play like a 5 year old girl learning how to skate for the first time.  If this was Robert Lang (again), there would be no doubt, no matter what he was being paid.  Some players on this team are complacent and Franzen is most assuredly one of them.  This team needs a restructuring badly and that $4 mm would be a nice addition to the cap space.

Sammy, yes. But not sure about Bert. Is there a deadline to buyout a player? Because I would like to give Bert a summer to heal and go from there. We are already a undersized team in the West; we'll be playing teams like Boston, Toronto and NYR next season. If you thought Anaheim and Chicago were physical with our small forwards...

Bert's done.  He may not know it yet.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#34 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

He isn't consistent, but he still contributes.

Funny, you can say this exact same thing about Filppula.

What the hell does Franzen do that Filppula doesn't? They both have the exact same amount of points, except Franzen played way more minutes, Filppula was way better on faceoffs, took less penalties, was better defensively, skated harder, battled better, scored at even strength, actually tried to contribute. But for you, Filppula is a momentum killer who needs to go while Franzen needs to stay. (Oh, and Filppula does this at almost a million less a year too)

Sorry dude, but any hope you had of giving objective commentary is gone.

Buy out Sammy

I'd rather have a 25-30 goals scorer who actually works for 5 million than Franzen, who scored that many goals because other people worked to get a great chance for him for 3.9 million.

Plus, lets not forget about the benefit recapture penalty. Either he plays 7 more years (which god knows I don't want) or we have a huge cap hit for a few years for nothing.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 30 May 2013 - 09:26 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Agreed.

4 goals 2 assists and a -7 in 14 games. This was the season the Wings needed to lean on their star players more than ever and he delivered another mediocre playoff performance.

The reality is Franzen competes hard when he feels like it. But the Wings are already short on snipers. If they could package Franzen to bring back a big name, great. Otherwise the Wings just aren't deep enough to lose more offense.

#36 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

only place i can see mule going to is vancouver as there stuck with a longterm contract themselves in luongo and desperately wanna move it and improve the team up front

canucks get franzen ... leafs get luongo ... we get leafs 1st round pick

if it wasnt for bettmans new penalty on teams id keep mule but i dont think he will play at 39-40 yrs old for 1 mill  and we will get screwed so im looking ahead

As for replacing mule were gonna have to give the kids some extra ice time or hopefully we can get lucky and get a clarkson or someone whos bought our like richards/malone etc...

#37 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Buy out Sammy 

Can't buy him out. However, I'd love to see him traded for someone who currently scores a few less goals with much more work ethic. It'd be nice to get a player who can show up more consistently and do more for his linemates. The majority of Franzen's game these days is take, take, take. Too bad someone like Callahan isn't available.

#38 marcaractac

marcaractac

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Like I said in another thread, he was smiling in the handshake line. That is NOT what I wanna see from a player who is on the losing side of an OT game 7. It screams "I don't care" IMO. If I were Holland, I'd  make an attempt at moving him. There will be some team needing to hit the cap floor. Let him have his fun soaking up the sun in Florida for all I care. 

#39 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

We simply don't know, people act different. My last opponent was simling too after he lost the fight against me. 

But back to topic : Without Mule we might have missed the playoffs and I, as many others here, think, that he puts up the Numbers which he is payed for. Tragic from tonight is if her buries is great chance in the third we are in the WCF and Mule is the hero of day. That he's frustrating to watch sometimes is also true but we wouldn't find a substitution for him at this price. Not to mention that we have other candidates to use the buy outs for.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 30 May 2013 - 11:03 AM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#40 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

damn just saw if brad richards retires with 1 year left on his deal at 1 million salary the rangers will get screwed 17 mill in the cap recapture , hawks 18 million same scenario with hossa ... franzen and zetterberg probably around the same amount of $$

cant take the chance with both , hank i can see him play but not mule