Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Franzen Buyout?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Franzen Buyout?

Would you use an amnesty buyout on Franzen this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Franzens last couple seasons were summed up perfectly in one shift last night. It was in the 3rd when the Wings were pressing. Hank was in the corner working hard trying to shake a defender for a good 10-15 seconds. Franzen parks his ass at the faceoff circle and just stares at Hank. Doesnt try to improve his shooting angle, get open, or support Hank in any way. Just stares at him while Hank is working away the whole time. When Hank finally shakes the guy and is able to get the puck to Franzen shoots a weak shot into Crawford chest. I dont care how "managable" the guys cap number is. A manageable cap number means nothing when you don't produce when it matters. Franzen has been a no show in the playoffs for three straights years now. You cant claim he "turns it on in the playoffs" anymore because he just doesnt. Thats not even mentioning the multiple times Franzen has gone 15 to 20 games without a goal. Thats fine if your in the bottom 6. Not if your getting top 6 and PP time. Add in that he brings absolutely nothing to the team when hes not scoring and that manageable cap number looks worse every day. 

#62 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Franzens last couple seasons were summed up perfectly in one shift last night. It was in the 3rd when the Wings were pressing. Hank was in the corner working hard trying to shake a defender for a good 10-15 seconds. Franzen parks his ass at the faceoff circle and just stares at Hank. Doesnt try to improve his shooting angle, get open, or support Hank in any way. Just stares at him while Hank is working away the whole time. When Hank finally shakes the guy and is able to get the puck to Franzen shoots a weak shot into Crawford chest. I dont care how "managable" the guys cap number is. A manageable cap number means nothing when you don't produce when it matters. Franzen has been a no show in the playoffs for three straights years now. You cant claim he "turns it on in the playoffs" anymore because he just doesnt. Thats not even mentioning the multiple times Franzen has gone 15 to 20 games without a goal. Thats fine if your in the bottom 6. Not if your getting top 6 and PP time. Add in that he brings absolutely nothing to the team when hes not scoring and that manageable cap number looks worse every day. 

The longest Franzen went without a point this year was 6 games, and that was when he was playing hurt due to our rash of injuries early in the season.

He's led the team in goals for the past 2 seasons and was 2nd this year only because he played fewer games than Datsyuk. Its true that he often floats out there, and that he was terrible in last nights game but even with all his obvious faults he's still one of the best players on this team.

If there was a trade out there bringing us back a top pairing defenceman, or a better top 6 forward than Johan I'd be all for dealing him but he's too valuable to the team to be let go without replacing him and there isn't anyone available that are likely to produce anywhere near what he does without costing significantly more.

#63 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

I would buy Franzen out if you can't trade him but I think they will keep him and buy out guys with 1 year left just to open up roster space

#64 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Do. The. Math.

Its the difference in salary paid out and cap savings of years played on the deal, divided by remaining years left when retired. stop coming up with incorrect numbers on the internet. The math is pretty easy.

why dont you email capgeek then and tell them there wrong and your correct

#65 wheelchairwing

wheelchairwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

If Holland is talking about having Bert and Sammy back (as mentioned in other places here) I highly doubt Franzen will be bought out. I have a weird feeling that a combination of loyalty, saving face, and not having a ready replacement will prevent this.  I don't know what we will do about the cap hit if he retires.  I feel that Z will play his entire contract, but not Franzen ...

#66 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

If Holland is talking about having Bert and Sammy back (as mentioned in other places here) I highly doubt Franzen will be bought out. I have a weird feeling that a combination of loyalty, saving face, and not having a ready replacement will prevent this.  I don't know what we will do about the cap hit if he retires.  I feel that Z will play his entire contract, but not Franzen ...

THIS. Using buyouts is a way for a NEW GM to clean up old messes (gomez). No incumbant GM is going to admit a bad signing, much less 2, by dumping players he signed. "Yah boss, I burned 11 mil of yours for no reason. Turns out we cant even use this slow, old guy."

#67 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Buying him out doesn't make much sense.  Trading him does.

Now, if we can only find a partner with something to offer.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#68 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Buying him out doesn't make much sense.  Trading him does.

Now, if we can only find a partner with something to offer.

Franzen cant be moved.

#69 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Franzen cant be moved.

Why not?  No trade clause?

He might want a new beginning as well.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#70 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Why not?  No trade clause?

He might want a new beginning as well.  

Too much downside, not enough upside. I dont even think we could give him away to be honest. Contract is just too long.

#71 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Guys, use capgeek and read. If franzen was to retire in the Summer of 2017, 4 seasons from now we would have a cap it of 2,772,727 for 3 more seasons. If he was to retire in the summer of 2016, our cap hit would be just under 2.1 million for 4 seasons. I he retires in the summer of 2018 the cap hit is 4.16 million for 2 seasons. If he retires in the summer of 2019 the hit is 8.32 million for 1 season.
In any of these events he costs us money on our cap, when he is not even playing. The hit is worse as he gets closer to the end of his contract. Now if we buy him out, he gives us a $0 cap hit. he is going to get paid his 22.5 million no matter what we/he does.

This. If his cap hit came off when he retired, no way should we buy him out. But we will be saddled with a big cap hit for nothing. If he plays till the end of his contract, he'll be an even more frustrating player for the last 4 years of it (if not more) and we'll be paying $4m for him.

Franzen isn't going to be getting any better.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 30 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#72 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yes...yes I would. The lack of consistency needs to be address in the top 6. Z and D are not gonna be moved... so might as well supply them with wingers that can play with some effort and consistency. Be it the replacements are our own young players or they came via a trade.

Flip, Mule, Bert, and Sammy (even though he didn't play much this season) are all expendable. 

#73 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

This. If his cap hit came off when he retired, no way should we buy him out. But we will be saddled with a big cap hit for nothing. If he plays till the end of his contract, he'll be an even more frustrating player for the last 4 years of it (if not more) and we'll be paying $4m for him.

Franzen isn't going to be getting any better.

I dont think u know the value of a dollar. 22.5 million buyout gets Ken Holland fired immediately. Its not monopoly money.

#74 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't see why Tootoo should be bought out. He did exactly what was expected of him-play physical, drop the gloves when needed, and put up a few points.

If you're not enough of an asset to crack the lineup in the playoffs, then I don't think you're doing what was expected.  He was a healthy scratch far too often.  I don't think he did what management expected or else he wouldn't be in the press box so often.

#75 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

When asked if the talk of buying out Franzen was Crazy, Holland replied "To me it is".

Franzen will be back next year.

#76 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

When asked if the talk of buying out Franzen was Crazy, Holland replied "To me it is".

Franzen will be back next year.

I hope illitch steps in....too bad its only the tigers he does that now.

Not resigning fil and buying out franzen then getting clarkson and Horton or bickell and wed be set.

#77 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

If we were going to get Horton that would be one thing, but I'd rather Franzen than Clarkson. 

I think this past season was an anomaly for him, and Franzen while frustrating as hell sometimes is far more consistent with his production for much less money than Clarkson will get in this weak FA class.

#78 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

I have to wonder if people get the concept of a buyout.  Why would Mike Ilitch pay 20+ million out of his own pocket to have Franzen sign with another team?  His contract is hardly the crippling albatross like that of Luongo or Rick DiPietro.  No, Franzen isn't the high scoring power forward he has the potential to be, but he's not the anchor keeping the Wings from making significant signings. 

#79 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

I have to wonder if people get the concept of a buyout.  Why would Mike Ilitch pay 20+ million out of his own pocket to have Franzen sign with another team?  His contract is hardly the crippling albatross like that of Luongo or Rick DiPietro.  No, Franzen isn't the high scoring power forward he has the potential to be, but he's not the anchor keeping the Wings from making significant signings.

Yes actually he is. We need two of bickell clarkson and Horton. With franzen here we get one. Him gone we get two. This is assuming fil isn't brought back. They resign fil we can't afford any.

This is because of franzen as well as two year deals to monster cola and Sammy.

#80 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yes actually he is. We need two of bickell clarkson and Horton. With franzen here we get one. Him gone we get two. This is assuming fil isn't brought back. They resign fil we can't afford any.

This is because of franzen as well as two year deals to monster cola and Sammy.

Why do we need 2 of those 3 guys?

I like Horton as much as anyone but even at his absolute best he's only going to match what Franzen produces not exceed it. Clarkson is even more of a gamble considering his career average before his 30 goal season is around 15 a season.  Bickell is an upgrade on Abdelkader but you can add up every goal he's scored in his NHL career and only be slightly ahead of 1 season of Franzen's production.

On top of that, Horton and Clarkson are both going to cost more than Flip wants, and likely a few million more than Franzen for what at best will be the same production.

Contrary to the saying, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.