Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Franzen Buyout?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Franzen Buyout?

Would you use an amnesty buyout on Franzen this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

I just think for the most part,there's too much wasted energy and frustration when it comes to Franzen.The Wings just don't go out and trade  a top line player, especially one that's homegrown.  They are loyal to their players, possibly to a fault.  But their tendency is to let players play until their contracts expire and let them "retire" on their own.  I'm skeptical that Holland will use any of his buyouts, unless there is a long term injury concern with either Bertuzzi or Samuelsson.  Until the UFA's are figured out, they aren't buying out anyone. As I've mentioned before, neither Franzen or his contract is enough of a detriment to the team for Mike Ilitch to dig into his pocket and pay him 20+ million dollars to go away and sign with another team.  Vancouver already has a noose around it's neck with the Luongo contract, I don't think they, or other teams are going to want to acquire any of the guys signed to the long term deals.  Teams are trying to shed those contracts, not take any on.

For all the griping about Franzen, Filppula and Holland, this team was a goal away from the WCF.  So I'm going to put my trust in the Wings management.

#122 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes, I also put my trust in management, trust them to find more scoring.... They were one game away from the WCF, but in reality, and PP goal here and there and they beat Chicago 4 games to 2....

They need more offense than Val and Johan provided...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#123 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yes, I also put my trust in management, trust them to find more scoring.... They were one game away from the WCF, but in reality, and PP goal here and there and they beat Chicago 4 games to 2....

They need more offense than Val and Johan provided...

I def. Agree that we need more offense than they provided. But we also need those guys to be bigger and maybe hit a time or two.

#124 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I def. Agree that we need more offense than they provided. But we also need those guys to be bigger and maybe hit a time or two.

You are preaching to the Choir here. I am all for getting bigger along with more offense.  Franzen plays like he is 5'4. 

www.thinkdunes.com

#125 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

You are preaching to the Choir here. I am all for getting bigger along with more offense.  Franzen plays like he is 5'4.

Nah your being too nice try 4'4

#126 saven

saven

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

It's been said before so ill say it again please show me where we can replace mules goals with someone not on an entry contract and for under 4 million ( this player has to be Ava this off season ) ? Anyone ?
In explanation of my avatar: for those who understand no explanation is necessary, for those who don't google federko.

#127 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

It's been said before so ill say it again please show me where we can replace mules goals with someone not on an entry contract and for under 4 million ( this player has to be Ava this off season ) ? Anyone ?

Kind of agree, for a high 20 goal scorer he is cheap. Although I would like to see Franzen step up more. His laziness is so annoying sometimes. He could be an easy 40 goal scorer if he hustled a little more. Sadly he's only hit 30 goals 2 times in his career and probably won't hit it again as he gets older. Crazier stuffs happened though so lets hope.

Edited by kickazz, 02 June 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#128 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Kind of agree, for a high 20 goal scorer he is cheap. Although I would like to see Franzen step up more. His laziness is so annoying sometimes. He could be an easy 40 goal scorer if he hustled a little more. Sadly he's only hit 30 goals 2 times in his career and probably won't hit it again as he gets older. Crazier stuffs happened though so lets hope.

Once. I think he he hit once if I remember right when I looked last night. Not including playoffs.

#129 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Franzen is untradeable. End of story.

#130 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Franzen is untradeable. End of story.

We know this. But yet people think he is worth his contract. Kind of ass back words.

#131 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

We know this. But yet people think he is worth his contract. Kind of ass back words.

A big strong forward who consistently scores over 25 goals a year for $4m a year would be easily tradeable. We need more big guys who can score goals so it would be foolish to get rid of the one that we do have.

What is kinda ass backwards is suggesting to get rid of him.

#132 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Once. I think he he hit once if I remember right when I looked last night. Not including playoffs.

But he has also scored 27, 28 and 29 goals in seasons in which he didn't play the full schedule and has led one of the top scoring teams in goals in 2 of the last 3 seasons and was 1 goal away from doing it this year.

#133 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

In the last full season (2011-12) there were only 4 40 goal scorers and Franzen actually scored more goals than one (Gaborik) of them this year and of those 4 only one of them scored 40 in the previous year. Franzen is not as good as those guys and doesn't get payed nearly as much (and doesn't get as much ice-time or PP time as them)

#134 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

As time goes by the NHL will likely have to address situations like that of Pronger. Philly is guilty of a pretty blatant circumvention of the intention of the cap (note that circumventing the intention of the contract rather than the letter of the contract is a much different thing, and likely not something you can penalize).  As it stands it's pretty clear Pronger isn't actively moving toward anything but retirement and the only reason he hasn't retired is to keep his contract off the books.  Now because he couldn't likely pass a physical (not that most active NHL players his age likely can pass a standard physical) the NHLPA could easily protest any action taken against him the NHL's hands appeared tied.  What I'd like to see is this: if a player misses an entire season due to injury without retiring their contract slides forward another year (the team would still have to pay them for the injured year but that's something they insure contracts against anyway so owner complaints would fall on deaf ears).  This should definitely be appealable based on circumstance.  In Pronger's case I could imagine a legitimate appeal based on the fact that his contract is so obnoxiously long sliding it forward another year would be a significant penalty in terms of having to pay a player farther into their declining years.  On the other hand it's hard to feel bad for Philly when the sign a player that old to such a long term contract that is so clearly designed to circumvent the cap.

The Pronger and Luongo contracts really stretched the premise of Holland's Franzen/Zetterberg contracts thin.  With the Z/Franzen contracts they were signing a relatively young, pending UFA they drafted to contract the player would likely play out (expiring as a 40 year old).  With Pronger and Luongo it was pretty clear neither player would be playing until they were 43 years old.  That extra 3 years is a huge difference.  Hell, in Pronger's case he signed the contract as a 35+ meaning the team would be on the hook no matter what.  And by "no matter what" I mean "unless they pretend he's just working through an injury for five and a half straight years".  Pronger played 13 games last season and zero this season.  It's pretty absurd at this point to keep pretending he's going to make a magic come back as a 39 year old player next season who hasn't played in almost 2 years.

Each team gets 2 amnesty style buy outs of contracts signed before the current CBA.

Philly is not circumventing the intention of the cap as I am sure they would rather have a healthy Pronger playing than on the LTIR. You can't penalize a team for signing a player who can't play because of career ending injuries.

#135 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

A big strong forward who consistently scores over 25 goals a year for $4m a year would be easily tradeable. We need more big guys who can score goals so it would be foolish to get rid of the one that we do have.
What is kinda ass backwards is suggesting to get rid of him.

He's not strong. He's just big. In fact, I have never seen a bigger man than Franzen play smaller. Him getting smashed, Chicago getting ghe puck, and then Chicago scoring is a microcosm of our problem. Same thing happened to Nyquist on the series winner. We need guys who are strong on the puck. Franzen is not this. He's a sissy.

#136 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

He's not strong. He's just big. In fact, I have never seen a bigger man than Franzen play smaller. Him getting smashed, Chicago getting ghe puck, and then Chicago scoring is a microcosm of our problem. Same thing happened to Nyquist on the series winner. We need guys who are strong on the puck. Franzen is not this. He's a sissy.

Blinded by hate.

#137 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Pascal Dupuis....end of story.

Pascal Dupuis....end of story.

www.thinkdunes.com

#138 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Last time Pascal Dupuis scored 30 goals, he was in junior with Shawinigan.

#139 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Last time Pascal Dupuis scored 30 goals, he was in junior with Shawinigan.

Yet, he just scored 20 in 48 games which had him on pace for 34 in 82 games... The question wasn't who can score 30 goals (because Franzen cannot even do that.) The question was show them someone who could replace Franzen's goals that is not on a EL contract and is available this July.... Pascal Dupuis....and he only makes $1.5M.

Edited by LeftWinger, 03 June 2013 - 01:15 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#140 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Franzen's point production is only helped by the fact that he can have multi goal/point games in streaks. Sure. He does his job just frequently enough to maintain decent averages but when you look beyond the numbers he is useless. His playoff production is a joke, and that's what also matters. In general Franzen just sits around and shoots the puck, this might have worked for Brett Hull in his later years (especially in Detroit) but things are way different and we can't sign superstars to all 4 lines anymore.

Franzen's average point production is good, and we would be hard pressed to find that kind of production for an affordable price. Finding a replacement is hard, and it just disgusts me that we are stuck with him on the top 6.

Has anyone considered what Franzen's numbers would be elsewhere? What about someone else who is below Franzen's PPG average, could they out produce Franzen on this team? I would rather take someone who skates, checks, etc, -- plays with more effort because chances are they will produce more consistently and less streaky

What good is a player who the team depends upon as a top 6, who helps you get into the playoffs and then becomes invisible? It is sort of a Catch 22 marred by his contract length and price.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn, 03 June 2013 - 01:13 PM.

40 for life.