Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Franzen Buyout?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Franzen Buyout?

Would you use an amnesty buyout on Franzen this summer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

...and then the question was asked, name someone who can replace Franzen's scoring for under $4M and who is available this summer. I simply put Dupuis.  Then you chimed in (a Franzen debate thread) that Dupuis - blah blah = average player.  So this being a Franzen thread, the comparison was Franzen vs. Dupuis, in which Franzen - Dats and Z = AHL player...Dupuis could come here and score 30 more consistently with Dats and Z than Franzen. he just works harder for it.  BTW, I don't want 1 of him on this team, so I don't know where you got the 2 of him thing... I just figured when you commented on Dupuis you were comparing him to Franzen since this is a Franzen debate, but no offense if you weren't.

If we could get Dupuis for under $4m, I would be all for it but only if we try for Iginla, Clarkson, Horton and/or Bickell first. The Pens and Crosby play a much more offensive and less defensive game than the Wings and Pav, so even if he were to play with Pav, I wouldn't expect him to score as much as he did with the Pens and he has never scored more than 25.

#162 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

How many times are you going to say virtually the same thing?

Look, it's extremely unlikely that Franzen will be bought out ... the various reasons being given throughout this thread.

Franzen may get traded, or he may not. His contract would be tough to move, given it's length. The Red Wings would likely have to absorb a long contract in any trade scenario.

Dupuis or anyone else may be a better player than Franzen, but you're not going to prove that to anyone here.

#163 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yup. Good analogy. Franzen is right up there with those guys in the trophy gathering and all star appearances. Oh wait ...

I posted in reponse to someone who said he didn't score in games 6 or 7 against Chicago to win the series like he is expected to score at least a goal in every 2 game segment. I was trying to point out that you can't expect that from anybody not even the best and ,most expensive goal scorers in the world.

#164 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

How many times are you going to say virtually the same thing?

Look, it's extremely unlikely that Franzen will be bought out ... the various reasons being given throughout this thread.

Franzen may get traded, or he may not. His contract would be tough to move, given it's length. The Red Wings would likely have to absorb a long contract in any trade scenario.

Dupuis or anyone else may be a better player than Franzen, but you're not going to prove that to anyone here.

Well gee, then I guess we just shut down LGW and never debate about anything....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#165 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I posted in reponse to someone who said he didn't score in games 6 or 7 against Chicago to win the series like he is expected to score at least a goal in every 2 game segment. I was trying to point out that you can't expect that from anybody not even the best and ,most expensive goal scorers in the world.

And youre still off. Who else are you expecting most of your output from then, if not your top line winger? Everyone expects Ovechkin and Stamkos to score. And they dont get any slack when they go goaless for a while.

#166 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

And youre still off. Who else are you expecting most of your output from then, if not your top line winger? Everyone expects Ovechkin and Stamkos to score. And they dont get any slack when they go goaless for a while.

Everybody goes goaless for a while even the best and most expensive goalscorers and if you don't expect them to, you are being unrealistic and will be disappointed.

#167 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Everybody goes goaless for a while even the best and most expensive goalscorers and if you don't expect them to, you are being unrealistic and will be disappointed.

Yup! Remember Fedorov? One game without something specracular, and he's the laziest guy on the team.

#168 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Capgeek says it would cost $15M of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan, 05 June 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#169 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Capgeek says it would cost $15 of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

If it's only $15, I think a lot of LGW posters would gladly pay out of their own pocket.

#170 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

If it's only $15, I think a lot of LGW posters would gladly pay out of their own pocket.

Unfortunately my typo does not make it any cheaper.

#171 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Unfortunately my typo does not make it any cheaper.

lol

#172 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Capgeek says it would cost $15M of real money to buy Franzen out. Real money matter way more than cap money. This is quite different from buying out a guy with 1 or 2 years left. And Wings would have to take cap hit from this buyout for the next 14 years.

Exactly. We are sruck with My Little Pony for a while, unfortunately.

#173 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Franzen isn't going anywhere obviously. But it's sort of nice to see management is frustrated with his inconsistent effort as well.

Every contract we do isn’t going to be perfect,” said Jimmy Devellano, Red Wings senior vice president. “We have Franzen on a long-term contract. We’ve made a commitment to him, so he’s somebody we have to live with.

“But at least once in a while he scores a few goals. That he does do.

http://www.foxsports...837&feedID=3701

The article also makes it seem like the Wings are pretty sure that Franzen can be traded once his actual salary comes down.

#174 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

If Im another team, why do I want Franzen at ANY price 3 years from now?

#175 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

If Im another team, why do I want Franzen at ANY price 3 years from now?

To get to the cap floor. That's the beauty. His cap hit will be 3.9M, but he'll only actually get paid 2.5-2-1M in his final thee years or something. Perfect for some cheap-ass owner who needs to comply with the cap, but doesn't want to actually spend the money.

Pretty clever.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#176 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

To get to the cap floor. That's the beauty. His cap hit will be 3.9M, but he'll only actually get paid 2.5-2-1M in his final thee years or something. Perfect for some cheap-ass owner who needs to comply with the cap, but doesn't want to actually spend the money.

Pretty clever.

So if everyone knows this, how is it clever? Seems like a death sentence for the GM of this fictional team that doesnt care about winning.

#177 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Why would you buy him out?  He only makes 3.7 something against the cap, and with that cap hit he's a tradeable asset.

the return for him would not be great, due to the length of his deal and his age

#178 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think you have to look at amnesty for franzen after next season. We can use his production for another year but there is no way he makes it to 2020 as a useful player. By 2020 we will have current rookies getting nice big deals and we can't afford to have cap penalties hampering us long term. We will have Z's 6mill caphit for the next 8 years so we need to think about parting with Franzen's for the future. 

• Nev likes this

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#179 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Franzen would make a nice Florida Panther.  Instead of checking guys he can meow at them and scratch at Patty Kane's mouthguard some more.  I'd even go so far as to draw on wiskers and he could double as a mascot so he doesn't get bored during the season, and now apparently the playoffs.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#180 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Pretty clever.

I

Even then idk. To get to cap floor I think they'd want a one year deal. Like the islanders with Tim Thomas.