• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Helm with Miller and eaves would be a great shut down line. They're all PK guys so they're more than used to going up against Toews and his linemates.

But pk is different than 5 on 5. I just don't see that happening.

#42 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

The problem is his linemates can't handle toews linemates. He is a bottom 6 guy. If he was on the team this year he is on fourth line. So you want him emmerton and eaves out verse toews? That's pure stupidity sorry.

Unless there's an icing or something most of the time top 6 players face top 6 players....same with bottom 6.

I'd be perfectly content having Eaves - Helm - Miller out against Toews' line.  Emmerton not so much, but with helm in Emmerton is clearly the odd man out.

#43 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Dr house?
I'm sure he'll come back. Hopefully at the beginning of the season. I just hope he doesn't lose any of his speed when he comes back

Most likely will. Speed is 100% related to back strength. And so all we can hope is they find what the back issue is and fix it. If it's never diagnosed, it's going to be a risky game.

#44 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I never thought I'd say this about a forward whose career high in goals is 12, but we NEED him.  His speed does so much for us.  So many times during that Hawks series, I would see their defensemen pinch in and make a play and I kept thinking to myself, "Damn, I bet if Helm was out there, they wouldn't be pinching in like that so often".  When Helm's on the ice, the d-men HAVE to stay back or he'll be behind them.  His speed, defensive skills and faceoff ability have made his skill set invaluable.  

I really hope this back injury problem gets healed completely and this injury is behind him for good.

#45 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Most likely will. Speed is 100% related to back strength. And so all we can hope is they find what the back issue is and fix it. If it's never diagnosed, it's going to be a risky game.

Respectfully, I 100% disagree with your statement above.  Are you saying leg strength, leg drive, push technique, abdominal/core strength, etc... don't have anything to do with speed??  Back strength is certainly a factor, but not THE 100% factor!

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 06 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Respectfully, I 100% disagree with your statement above.  Are you saying leg strength, leg drive, push technique, abdominal/core strength, etc... don't have anything to do with speed??  Back strength is certainly a factor, but THE 100% factor!

Agreed.  I know this from personal agony.  Back pain just slows you down, and a lot.  But leg strength and core pushes you forward. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#47 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Respectfully, I 100% disagree with your statement above. 

He said back strength is directly RELATED to speed.  There is no arguing with that statement as it is 100% true. 

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

But pk is different than 5 on 5. I just don't see that happening.

The line of Moen, Niedermayer, and Pahlsson, all of whom were defensive forwards, was excellent in 2007.

#49 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

What worked for me - although it took them two operations to figure it out - is fusion of the 3rd and 4th vertebrae, with screws and stuff put in.  They tried a laminectomy first and that just made it worse.   The nerves are now free to do their thing and I have had no back pain whatsoever since January.   I'd like to think they've looked at all possibilities, but OF COURSE I could have given this information if they'd just called.  But neeeuuuoooooo...!   :rolleyes:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#50 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

he's done - stick a fork in him.

#51 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

He said back strength is directly RELATED to speed.  There is no arguing with that statement as it is 100% true. 

No.  The poster kisckazz said exactly this: Speed is 100% related to back strength.  Meaning: skating fast is attributed to nothing but back strength.

You can switch the words around and leave out words/numbers...whatever...back to my original post; what he specifically stated was/is not true (IMO).

Let's move on shall we

ENJOY THE RIDE

#52 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

MLive Story

The June 5 story is titled:

Red Wings forward Darren Helm optimistic latest prescription, rest and patience, heals ailing back

I looked for a quote that was optimistic. This is the best I could do.

"If I just leave it alone and be happy with the progress I'm making and the treatment I'm doing, things are going well. I feel like I'm doing what I can to get healthy.''

Not exactly inspiring. :(

Edited by MidMichSteve, 05 June 2013 - 01:45 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Man, backs are a *****.  So many players from so many leagues and even in the working world have had their careers ended from a back problem.  I remember when the Wings signed Troy Crowder in 1991 and everyone from my dad to your mom was drooling with excitement to see him a Bob Probert patrol the ice and wipe the league clean of clowns.  He hurt his back in the pre-season and ended up play only 7 games with us.  He made a comeback 2 years after that (really three years considering he was hurt pretty much the entire 91-92 season) and played another 3 years, but only appeared in 74 total games in those three season, officially retiring in 1999 due to his re-occurring back issues....

I hate to say it or even think it, but this could very well be a career ending injury for Helm....damn.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

You weren't trying hard enough, Steve :)

Helm finally got some good news after the season ended, when he learned that he won't require offseason surgery and is expected back in training camp next fall.

#55 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

This is indeed good news!   :w00t: 

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#56 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Good!  Does that mean they found the problem? or are they just hoping

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#57 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Good!  Does that mean they found the problem? or are they just hoping

That's the thing with backs, it's so hard to diagnose the exact cause. The scary thing is like concussions is one day you'll feel 100% and then the next you'll be in agony. Backs and the brain are about the last two places on the body that the medical community hasn't quite nailed down 100% yet.

#58 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

From Helene St. James' twitter:

Apologies: Ken Holland said Darren Helm is better, and Red Wings expect (not except) him at development camp next week.

#59 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

From Helene St. James' twitter:

Can't wait to watch a 3rd line of Nyq- helm- Tatar wow! Best 3rd line the game and it not even close

#60 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Can't wait to see Helm period
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!