• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Wow... Danny Cleary

Rate this topic

While I agree with you, it has to happen. Lidstrom loss hurt, but opened up the door for the saplings to grow. You gotta clear out the old sometimes. I would be looking to unload Cleary, Flip, Bert, Sammy, White, and Colo if I was Holland.

Cleary, Flip, and White take care of themselves as UFAs.

Buyouts take care Bert and Sammy.

Colo can be traded easily. 4th rounder in return.

So we can end up like Edmonton, only without the talent?

Edited by T.Low

You think that Sheahan could come in, play an offensive role, and be second on the team in playoff scoring?

If Cleary's gone, we're losing a lot more than you seem to think.

I don't know. he could be better. That is the point. We are not going to win the SC with Cleary leading the way. The fact that he was our leading scorer speaks volumns about this team. Which is why today all of our players are golfing and not getting ready to play the Kings. If we keep: Z, Dat, Franzen, Bert, Abby, Brunner, Cleary, Fil, Sammy, Helm, Emmerton, TooToo, Miller, and Eaves (that is 14 forwards) where are the young guys like Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, and Sheahan going to play? In GR again? How does this make us better? It doesn't. We have to clear out 4 guys just to bring the kids up. Helm is hurt-1, Cleary is a UFA-2 Miller is a UFA-3, we still need to move one more. But none of this makes us better. Let Fil walk makes 4. But we still are not better. That is the key: Get better. Using the same guys year after year and expecting different results is foolish.

Actually it happened in Game 5 against Anaheim so he played with it the last two games of that series and all 7 games against Chicago.

Wow. I sure read that wrong. Thanks for re-enforcing the whole argument, (whether you meant to or not!) Harold. I owe ya. :thumbup:

Absolute guts and bleeds for the TEAM....he stays and passes his work ethic onto the younger guys.....3rd/4th line is perfect and if he takes in enough deer antler in the off season and comes back with his 08 body....bump him up to 1st/2nd line!

This guy is everything that I love about Redwing Hockey!!!

Guest DeGraa55

The dude is a warrior but we don't have room for him thanks to Holland. I'd rather have him over Sammy, Bert, eaves, too too, cola, and Quincey. But thanks to Holland were stuck with the latter and no room for clearly

Danny plays hard and, as we know all too well by now, guys like that are worth their weight in gold in the playoffs. He's had a string of injuries for years here and that's tough, but even without this I was happy with him. Yes, he was a little timid and cutesy a few times when he could/should have just taken the darn shot, but they guy just oozes effort. He comes to play, it is always the case. Others could learn from his level of dedication and effort.

Go fricking figure.

Will this shut the Cleary cretins up? Will this get them off his back?

Nawww....Hell, he shoulda been scoring goals even with a broken back.

And don't tell me that was only for the last two games. Did any of you see him let up? To all of you Cleary haters out there, move on and get.a.life. Pick on someone your own size because you'd never ever fit in his skates.

I think he played waaaaay better in the Chicago series oddly enough??!! Crazy. However I must say I truly think Clears is awesome, just at this point is not a top 6 player, do we need him around for a fourth liner? I'd rather sign Clears to a deal then Miller AS long as he stays off the 1st and 2nd lines. He's an all heart balls to the wall energy guy...Will never ever forget this...

If we didn't have so many worthy guys in GR itching for a spot I'd be all for keeping Cleary around. The problem is that with his age and body I see him disappearing in an 82 game season and who knows if he would hold up until the playoffs. Guy is a warrior - make no mistake - but we would be better off long term by giving deserving kids the experience they need to develop and become players of value for this team. Cleary currently holds little value to other teams but if some of our prospects had a chance to shine in the nhl - their value would skyrocket and they could either stay or be used in a trade.

I want him to stay...if he stays on the fourth line. He is a good character guy. Like Homer. He can put up numbers but he is a liability for his line often.

We have too many guys and he may be a goner, but maybe he could hang around as a 13th forward. That would be ideal. Easy on his body, but we still could use him for leadership.

Plus it doesn't hurt to have a Newf on the team, eh by? :hehe:

True that! Next season we'll have to round up Wing fan friends and have a viewing party somewhere! Or even regular season games. 50" flatscreen, surround sound, and Center Ice!

Before the playoffs I definitely wanted cleary gone, but I thought he played real well. I want him back, but he can't be playing in a top 6 role, maybe not even a top 9 role. Get him crashing and banging and chipping in on the 4th line and don't have him on the pp

I think regular minutes in the bottom 6, and 2nd pp unit for a net front presence. Also can be relied on to fill in on the top six when injuries occur. The guy is a warrior, and is smart enough to know at this point of his career to save his best for the playoffs.

He is our new Dallas Drake, IMO. Drive us nuts in the season, but step it up when it matters most and willing to put his body on the line.

Over the next few days we will find out about all the injuries. But guess what? EVERYONE HAS GUYS PLAYING HURT! It is the freaking playoffs. very few if any teams are going to go through the playoffs without having half their team banged up. Happens every year.

As for Cleary, no one has ever doubted his heart or his guts. he has tons of both. But he is also half the player he used to be. It happens. he is 33/34 now and a UFA. No I do not want him back. We have young guys in the minors that need to play. yes they could flop. But untill they play every day, we don't know. What can Cleary give us that Sheahan can't? Nothing. Yes Sheahan is young and inexperienced, but how does he get experience? oh ya-he plays!

Without Cleary this team wouldnt have gotten past Anaheim. Our current kids have a lot more growing to do. We can't throw another bunch into the fire along with them. Tatar is the nly one who should be a regular along with those who played in the playoffs. Cleary needs to stay. At a lower cost? Yes. But he needs to stay none the less.

I know the chances are pretty good that he'll be gone. I understand that. I'm sure he does too. But as the line goes in a famous play, "Attention must be paid". He has earned our respect and our loyalty for right now, at this very moment in time.

i say let him go. i know, he played great this post season but babs always puts him on line 1 or 2. give him a miller/eaves role and id say hell yes keep him because hes better than both of those two. but giving him a top spot over gus and tatar... hell no

I want him to stay. He's an example. Look at edmonton. All the talent in the world with no one to look up to...bottom dwellers.

Exactly.

Who do you want our youngsters to learn from? Cleary with his "this is the price you must be prepared to pay" attitude, or Franzen with his "have a couple of decent seasons and coast into retirement on your lifetime contract" attitude.

I would take Cleary back - at a reduced salary - as the 12/13th forward. Rotate him in and out of the line-up, limit his minutes, ready for the playoffs.

Wow. I sure read that wrong. Thanks for re-enforcing the whole argument, (whether you meant to or not!) Harold. I owe ya. :thumbup:

I definitely meant to.

I wanted to clarify he played with that injury for an entire 7 games series plus 2 games against the Ducks. Not just two games.

Cleary is as tough as they come.

We have been waiting for this guy to get healthy for 2-3 seasons now. Sadly i think its time we just let him go. There are plenty of guys our young talent can learn from (Dats, Z, Kron)

I don't think he fits anywhere on our top 2 lines, and he just doesn't have the body left to bang on the 3rd 4th. This guy is the definition of guts, a kind of warrior that you don't see too much anymore. I just don't like the idea of keeping guys around for too long, especially when we have so many guys in GR chomping at the bit to get up to the big show.

True that! Next season we'll have to round up Wing fan friends and have a viewing party somewhere! Or even regular season games. 50" flatscreen, surround sound, and Center Ice!

I think regular minutes in the bottom 6, and 2nd pp unit for a net front presence. Also can be relied on to fill in on the top six when injuries occur. The guy is a warrior, and is smart enough to know at this point of his career to save his best for the playoffs.

He is our new Dallas Drake, IMO. Drive us nuts in the season, but step it up when it matters most and willing to put his body on the line.

Without Cleary this team wouldnt have gotten past Anaheim. Our current kids have a lot more growing to do. We can't throw another bunch into the fire along with them. Tatar is the nly one who should be a regular along with those who played in the playoffs. Cleary needs to stay. At a lower cost? Yes. But he needs to stay none the less.

Or, maybe with someone better than Cleary we are not the 7th seed heading into the PO's. maybe we are 4th, 5th, 6th. Have you forgotten had bad Cleary was during the regular season? he just doesn't have the skill anymore. It is time to say thank you for your efforts, heart, blood and guts, and move on. Cleary is our past, not our future. Same with Bert, Sammy, Franzen, maybe Miller, White, etc.....

Totally redeemed his sub-par season with a gutsy playoff. 2nd on the team in points despite what sounds like significant injuries. Way to go, Dan Cleary!

What boo-boo were you nursing, Johan?

Guest The Axe

I definitely meant to.

I wanted to clarify he played with that injury for an entire 7 games series plus 2 games against the Ducks. Not just two games.

Cleary is as tough as they come.

And played well!!!