• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

The *unrealistic* 2013 off-season thread

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Holland-free zone here. Tell the world what you'd do this off-season. Leave your predictions of what Holland's going to do elsewhere.

Here's what I'd do:

-Bu
y-out: Compliance: Quincey (save $3.8M) and Samuelsson (save $3M). Ordinary: Colaiacovo (save $1.9M), Bertuzzi (save $1.5M), Tootoo (save $1.3M), Gustavsson (save $1M) and Eaves (save $0.8M).

-Recall: Tatar, Mrazek and *one-of* Jarnkrok/Pulkkinen/Frk/Jurco/Sheahan.

-Resign: RFA's: Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl, Smith. UFA: Brunner. *I've penciled all five in at a $1M raise.

-Sign: M. Streit ($4.1M), B. Bickel *for example* ($1M), J. Mursak *for example* ($0.5M).

Leaves you with THIS roster (below) and about $8.4M left to spend on a top-line forward (or whatever?). There's no one I like set to hit the FA market, but we'll see who becomes available through trade or buy-out. Early names that excite me the most: Alexander Ovechkin, Rick Nash, Marian Hossa, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards. Shall see.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / *?*F.A. or Trade*?* ($8.372m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.875m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)
Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.875m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Mark Streit ($4.100m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.883m) / Brendan Smith ($1.875m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.600m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Jordin Tootoo ($0.567m)
Buyout: Jonas Gustavsson ($0.500m)
Buyout: Patrick Eaves ($0.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,665,000; BONUSES: $1,365,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $0

Special Notes:

1) I like the idea of bringing Mark Streit in. He's been one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL for a long time now. He'd give our PP the real QB it lacks on the blue-line, and improve that unit immensely. Then he's also pretty solid in his own zone as well. At 35 years old, I doubt he'd command much of a raise from his current $4.1M salary either. Would definitely rather have him than Quincey.

2) Franzen centering the second line. I LOVED Nyquist-Andersson-Franzen in the post-season. It, as our third line, was arguably our best line. I think it'd be even better next season with Mule in place of Andersson. And I think our third line would be pretty good too, with Andersson in between a couple of new kids - Tatar and Jarnkrok(?). I also love that it gets Pav and Hank together on a great top line, along with, hopefully, another great scorer. And I like that 4th line look of Abby, Helm and someone like a Bryan Bickell.

Edited by blueadams

I see Nyquist replacing Flippula. Bert retires. Buyout Sammy. Sign Cleary for dirt cheap

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Clarkson-Zetta-Brunner

Abby-Andersson-Tatar

Cleary-Emmy-Miller

Look to land big top 6 forward through trade we have a lot of expendable pieces

Edited by joesuffP

I personally think Bickell is a great player and would love him in a DRW sweater but there is no way you will sign him for $1M! I know this is supposed to be 'unrealistic' but geez!

I also disagree with the sentiment that Wings need a superstar who they are going to pay a lot of money to. Would rather have depth, not just a 'big gun.' IMO

I see Nyquist replacing Flippula. Bert retires. Buyout Sammy. Sign Cleary for dirt cheap

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Clarkson-Zetta-Brunner

Abby-Andersson-Tatar

Cleary-Emmy-Miller

Helm will be playing.

I think it is time to say goodbye to Cleary. I'm on the fence about keeping Miller. I like him, but we have Eaves signed and they bring about the same thing. Eaves is a righty. Flip can be replaced by Tatar and Nyquist and eventually Jarnkrok.

I feel like the Wings won't do much in FA in terms of forwards, since there are already so many options, for better or for worse. I'm curious to see what they do on D, even the D corps is full, I think Holland goes for an experienced guy like Streit or Scuderi.

Cleary is a good playoff guy to have on your roster. He was one of our most effective forwards. The problem is when you count on him to be scoring for our top 6. I have no problem with him as a bottom 6 guy.

This exactly! Cleary can be affective playing in a bottom six role. I would much rather have Abby on the 2nd unit pp as well

Guest The Axe

Do teams typically buy out 5 or 6 players in the offseason?

Seems like a lot.

Ha ha ha. So dry. I like it.

Michael Ryder is available. I prefer realistic. If we're gonna sign like last offseason and you want unrealistic, then Ryder, Clarkson, Horton and Scuderi. Tuzzi retires. Sammy and Colo are bought out. Tootoo is traded cause he wants to play. Cleary, White and Miller don't re-sign. Flip signs with Calgary. Franzen is traded to a southern team, cause he likes the sun and it's fun there.

Guest DeGraa55

Unrealistic? I trade monster for quick. Trade bert for ovi. Trade Sammy for bossa. And trade Quincey for doughty.

I don't get the point of this thread. And bickell is a second or third line guy that will cost well over 1m. Prolly closer 2.5m

I want to see Tatar and Nyquist up for good. Id like to have a look at jarnkrok and pulks at some point in the season. Lashoff should replace Cola (amnesty) and Sammy should be amnestied too. Cleary needs to make way for some youngsters. Id be happy with that for now as it poises the team for some moves later on that could happen.

Michael Ryder is available. I prefer realistic. If we're gonna sign like last offseason and you want unrealistic, then Ryder, Clarkson, Horton and Scuderi. Tuzzi retires. Sammy and Colo are bought out. Tootoo is traded cause he wants to play. Cleary, White and Miller don't re-sign. Flip signs with Calgary. Franzen is traded to a southern team, cause he likes the sun and it's fun there.

Ginger's don't like the sun. Just saying...

After further looks I would be happy with this for next year. I think that we have enough talented prospects that we dont need to shell out big cash and long term contracts for overpriced UFAs. I'd keep the contracts short term and promote the youth as they earn it. I think Abby can keep growing in his role in the top 6 and be a Dustin Brown-esque type guy. We need another guy who has size to add to the bottom 6 but can ride along in the top 6 if needed and that guy could be Bickell. Soon enough we will see Nyquist and Tatar become much more effective and we don't want to be stuck with a longterm deal like the Franzen one on an old UFA. This also leaves money to re-sign Dats with a nice raise.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,052,879; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,257,121

Bert leaves the following year freeing up a roster spot for Jarnkrok possibly and I could see a trade for a talented RHdman at some point with all the talent we have on D in the farm and our D already looking pretty young.

Guest blueadams

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen

Clarkson-Zetta-Brunner

Abby-Andersson-Tatar

Cleary-Emmy-Miller

I don't get why people think Bert's going to retire. Dude's in serious financial trouble. If we buy him out, he'll be looking for another contract. NHL, AHL or otherwise.

I personally think Bickell is a great player and would love him in a DRW sweater but there is no way you will sign him for $1M! I know this is supposed to be 'unrealistic' but geez!

I also disagree with the sentiment that Wings need a superstar who they are going to pay a lot of money to. Would rather have depth, not just a 'big gun.' IMO

Sure. I thought of that as well. I'm guessing that we won't be spending 8-9mil on a top-line forward this off-season, so there's room to play with regarding Bickell (or someone like him) in my plan.

If a real big gun's available, it'll be awfully tempting. Especially if it's a veteran we can get on a short-term contract.

Helm will be playing.

I think it is time to say goodbye to Cleary. I'm on the fence about keeping Miller. I like him, but we have Eaves signed and they bring about the same thing. Eaves is a righty. Flip can be replaced by Tatar and Nyquist and eventually Jarnkrok.

I feel like the Wings won't do much in FA in terms of forwards, since there are already so many options, for better or for worse. I'm curious to see what they do on D, even the D corps is full, I think Holland goes for an experienced guy like Streit or Scuderi.

Couldn't agree more. Love Cleary, but he's always hurt. I'd like to see him replaced by someone younger and more aggressive. Miller and Eaves I like too, but I'd rather have skilled kids like Tatar and Jarnrkok in the lineup.

Shall see who's available in FA (or trade) after the buy-outs start..

Who in their right mind would take on Tootoo's contract!?

Why the hell would you buy out Eaves for?

Just to make room for the likes of Tatar, Jarnkrok..

NYR is supposedly rumored to be kicking the idea of buying out Richards....

I think Cleary's had it. or he gets resigned for league minimum for vets.

Get Rid of Samuelsson. useless bastard.

resign brunner, andersson, nyquist.

I could let Miller walk.

Could also let Flip walk. If he's hellbent on getting 5 mil per year, it ain't gonna be in detroit.

Ian white can walk.

resign kindl. Smith better not aim too high after the last series....

Bring up Tatar. Bring up mrazek when howard/monster are injured. Other buyout I'd consider aside from sammy would be Quincey. 3.775/year for being a 5th/6th defenceman. Not cutting it.

WE'VE got too much talent in GR to not have them up more often than we do now.

Unrealistic? I trade monster for quick. Trade bert for ovi. Trade Sammy for bossa. And trade Quincey for doughty.

I don't get the point of this thread. And bickell is a second or third line guy that will cost well over 1m. Prolly closer 2.5m

Then why reply to it?

Almost any roster projection is unrealistic since you can never predict what players or managers are thinking

Tootoo, emmerton or eaves could be traded for picks to make room so the young guns can be injury call ups.

To be safe, I gave filppula the 5mil he wants. We would likely have more space since he'll probably take less.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m)

Viktor Stalberg ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Damien Brunner ($2.350m)

Danny Cleary ($1.500m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.875m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.000m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)

Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER

Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($1.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,062,879; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,087,121

Guest Crymson

I don't get why people think Bert's going to retire. Dude's in serious financial trouble. If we buy him out, he'll be looking for another contract. NHL, AHL or otherwise.

He is in precisely zero financial trouble at the moment. There is a lawsuit pending against him, but, as with any personal injury litigation, there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will succeed.