• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Abby seems more fitting to play on the 3rd line.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Abby is a 4th line winger.

If we have what we need, we roll abby-Emdog-Helm on the 4th line and have them shut down line #1 for the opponent. Hank-Dats-Franzen shuts down line #2. Tatar-Flip-Horton shuts down line #3. Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner mops up the rest.

#23 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I understand what they were trying to do... I think, kind of emmulate Chicago's "Saad-Toews-Hossa" line. I honestly don't feel like it's a bad idea, but at the same time... there need to be a skilled guy to run shotgun with Pavs. Abdelkader did well in his puck retrieval/going hard to the net role.

I still think "Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo" would have been one of the better fore checking lines in the playoffs, if they could have used it. 

#24 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

My thoughts on Callahan:

I watch a lot/most Griffins games and Callahan is usually a stand out performer. GR coach Jeff Blashill has really raved about Mitch this season.

“Mitch is the type of player you win with,” Blashill said. “He’s very, very strong on the puck, he wins puck battles, he goes to the net hard, he’s got good hands, he’s physical, he’s an agitator and he’ll fight when needed. Those are all assets, that, when you put them all together, that makes you a real good hockey player.”

Callahan, a 2009 sixth-round pick from Whittier, Calif., who played for the 2011 American world junior team, has just four fighting majors this season after recording 62 in four previous seasons according to HockeyFights.com. That might be a sign he’s becoming a more well-rounded player.

“He’s been a real important part of our team,” Blashill said. “He’s just a more effective player than I realized at first. That’s just getting to know your players and maybe just giving him more opportunity … and he took off with it.”

Although he only scored 11 goals in 70 regular games, he must have hit the pipe about a dozen times or more from the games I saw and was at his best when playing on a skilled line. A real agitator at heart though. When he gets to the NHL he'll be right up there with Maltby. It's not usual to see more than one player go after him after a whistle, just in the last game a few days a go at the buzzer about three Barons players went straight after him.

Didn't fight as much this season, which was probably down to injury. He got beat up pretty bad in two fights early on in the season which seemed to knock his confidence a bit. Still hits everything in sight and down low in battles along the boards there's no one better than Mitch on the team. His defensive game is great, physical game has declined but his offensive game has come leaps and bounds, if still not quite there yet.

I'd expect him to make an impact in preseason with some physical games, but don't see him getting a call up yet with the Wings/Holland quite keen to put skilled prospects on the 4th line when a spot opens up. Call-ups with Holland are never about how well you've played or your role.

Edited by uk_redwing, 31 May 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#25 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

My thoughts on Callahan:

I watch a lot/most Griffins games and Callahan is usually a stand out performer. GR coach Jeff Blashill has really raved about Mitch this season.

Although he only scored 11 goals in 70 regular games, he must have hit the pipe about a dozen times or more from the games I saw and was at his best when playing on a skilled line. A real agitator at heart though. When he gets to the NHL he'll be right up there with Maltby. It's not usual to see more than one player go after him after a whistle, just in the last game a few days a go at the buzzer about three Barons players went straight after him.

Didn't fight as much this season, which was probably down to injury. He got beat up pretty bad in two fights early on in the season which seemed to knock his confidence a bit. Still hits everything in sight and down low in battles along the boards there's no one better than Mitch on the team. His defensive game is great, physical game has declined but his offensive game has come leaps and bounds, if still not quite there yet.

I'd expect him to make an impact in preseason with some physical games, but don't see him getting a call up yet with the Wings/Holland quite keen to put skilled prospects on the 4th line when a spot opens up. Call-ups with Holland are never about how well you've played or your role.

I think Callahan will be a Darren McCarty type player. Not a true enforcer, but gritty, can fight, and can score a few goals. I think he will be at the heart of the teams 3rd line for many seasons.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#26 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Abby is a 4th line winger.

If we have what we need, we roll abby-Emdog-Helm on the 4th line and have them shut down line #1 for the opponent. Hank-Dats-Franzen shuts down line #2. Tatar-Flip-Horton shuts down line #3. Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner mops up the rest.

I don't see the Wings signing Flip and Horton, and Tootoo or Eaves is taking Emmerton's spot on that 4th line (with Helm at center) if it happens. Abby is also a player who scored 10 ES goals this season.

I understand what they were trying to do... I think, kind of emmulate Chicago's "Saad-Toews-Hossa" line. I honestly don't feel like it's a bad idea, but at the same time... there need to be a skilled guy to run shotgun with Pavs. Abdelkader did well in his puck retrieval/going hard to the net role.

I still think "Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo" would have been one of the better fore checking lines in the playoffs, if they could have used it. 

I agree. I am not sure why Babcock never put Dats and Abby with someone more skilled than Mule. If Abby moves down, I think the Wings should go with that fourth line and keep the third line a scoring line.

#27 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I liked Abby a lot on the top line. He would battle hard, go to the rough areas of the ice and scrums to get the puck or make a play.... We need more of that on our team. However, I don't think his skill set is good enough to consistently produce in a top 6 spot. 

Most people agree that Abby should be in bottom 6, I agree. I think for a bottom 6 he is lethal and can be way more effective in a grind/shutdown/energy line -- that was proved by his top 6 play.

Our top 6 needs the likes of a young Bert and Homer (even a younger Cleary) to compliment our skill, add a sniper to boot and this team will be brutal on up front. Cleary is aging, Homer is gone, Bert's future is in question, Franzen is a former shell of himself, Filp's future is in question (at the moment). We need to find a way to replenish these types of players to find our former devastating top 6 success...

I also like the idea a lot of having Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner on the same line. If Brunner had played with Nyquist and Andersson in GR they would have way more chemistry. I want to see this chemistry develop as they also develop as players. Keeping them as a bottom 6 line is going to win us games, pure and simple.

40 for life.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

That's the thing. Abby is the type of player we need up there, but he isn't the player we need. Does that make sense? We need his style of play, but in the form of a player who scores.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

That's the thing. Abby is the type of player we need up there, but he isn't the player we need. Does that make sense? We need his style of play, but in the form of a player who scores.

Abby did lead the Wings in ES goals, scoring more goals than either Sedins and Semin, but I do know what you mean.

I would love a player like Clarkson on the Wings, but I think he will be overpaid if he reaches UFA. It looks like Clowe wants to stay in NY.

Abby is beneficial in the top-6 because of the Wings' skilled center depth. That is, the Wings only have two skilled centers in Dats and Z (Mule can play top-6 center if needed). Therefore, if the Wings want two skilled players and a physical presence on each of the top-3 lines, the physical player for the third line has to be the center and two of Abby, Bert, and Mule have to be in the top-6 (or Abby and Bert if Mule isn't enough for Babcock).

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Here's my first one of these:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
2013-2014 Red Wings
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($1.750m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.100m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,290,379; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,019,621

And yes, yes, I'm aware that Nyquist, Brunner, and Andersson might get more than that. If so, there's more than enough cap space to spend on them.

#31 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Here's my first one of these:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
2013-2014 Red Wings
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Damien Brunner ($1.750m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.100m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,290,379; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,019,621

And yes, yes, I'm aware that Nyquist, Brunner, and Andersson might get more than that. If so, there's more than enough cap space to spend on them.

Still doesnt help the Wings biggest glaring weakness which is the ability to score goals. 

This right there. If Abby had any semblance of a solid NHL offensive game he would be perfect up there. Unfortunately that is not Abby.

#32 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

My thoughts on Callahan:

Nice and thanks for your insight on Mitchell. Hopefully he keeps progressing then because I would really like to see him become a legit bottom sixer for the Wings in the future.

I also like the idea a lot of having Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner on the same line. If Brunner had played with Nyquist and Andersson in GR they would have way more chemistry. I want to see this chemistry develop as they also develop as players. Keeping them as a bottom 6 line is going to win us games, pure and simple.

This was going to be my other topic. I agree with this as well, they were the difference maker during the playoffs imo. As much as anyone would like to think Nyquist or Brunner belong in the top 6 now (maybe they do), I'd rather see the lines spread out with more scoring depth until we start seeing vets retire and more kids ready to make the jump up to the team. Ease them into that top 6.

#33 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Eaves is better than Miller. Better hands, faster. more of a scoring touch. I really like Miller too, but Eaves is just a step above. There's a reason he's paid more. BUt there's not much point in debating because Eaves is signed for next year and Miller isn't. If we're only keeping 1 it's going to be Eaves. I think both staying, though. Cleary and Emmerton will be the first to leave (assuming Helm's healthy).