• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Standing pat according to Malik

Rate this topic

We don't really need much this off-season. We don't even have room for anyone unless we buy people out or don't re-sign

I would love to get either a big skill guy or a fast guy. I really like stalberg and Horton. If we got one of those two we would be set.

If not, I would be perfectly happy with letting the young guys prove themselves again. That was fun to watch

We hope to have a healthy Todd Bertuzzi. We hope to have a healthy Mikael Samuelsson. You can look forward to September 2013, and think we are going to have a real good competition” at training camp.

So this quote has me worried a bit, the Wings are one of the richest teams in the league why not use the money to their advantage?

I got to admit, when I first read that, my heart sank. Its like all the doom and gloom predictions of the Holland Bashers coming true. It is however worth noting the "I think we are going to have a real good competition at training camp" line which implies if they don't earn their place on the roster they'll be waived. Its also worth noting that Sammy requires surgery on his pectoral injury, and if he's on IR, he can't be bought out....

But there's more to it than that. This article says that Bickell and Stalberg, amongst others, have long been on the Wings radar. Well, we can't sign them without cap space and roster room, and we're already over-populated at forward....

There's also this very interesting interview with Holland which I recommend everyone to read. Some choice quotes

We had traded eight first-round draft picks from ’95 to ’05 — Keith Primeau, who was a first, plus a first, for Paul Coffey. Anders Eriksson, who was a first and two more firsts for Chris Chelios. A first-round pick, Kozlov, for Dominik Hasek. We traded a first and (Tomas) Fleischman for Robert Lang. And we traded a first and somebody else for Mathieu Schneider.

Since then, we’ve hung on to more picks, to get more spins at the wheel

Would we like to be bigger, would we like to be harder? Yeah. But it’s hard to address every need. We’re trying to steer a little bit to get a little bit bigger, but the decisions you make at the draft come to fruition six or seven years later.

We lost to Chicago because we weren't tough enough? I don't believe that and I don't think Holland does either thankfully. Having a full time fighter isn't going to change our team into Stanley cup winning team.

I want to keep the Nyquist-Anders-Brunner line together having Helm center the line if he's healthy would be perfect but if Flip is not resigned I think Nyquist will move up. Also, we have to get Tatar playing in the NHL and not on the 4th line. I dont see where there is room for Sammy and Bert

Edited by joesuffP

We are 1 player away from being a contended next year. An elite scorer.

At this point I think Franzen and Sammy are the only 2 we could think about buying out, and Sammy is a stretch because hes got one year left and if hes healthy he'll actually get a chance to do something. Franzen I would only buyout because of the term of his contract, but that can wait til next offseason.

Tatar takes clearys spot (eventhough cleary had a solid post season)

Miller stays

Filp hopefully stays as long as its under 4mil (could be a long shot) or replaced

Brunner gets resigned

White leaves giving us 7 D

Nyg and Andersson get resigned

With all that happening above, we'd still need to lose someone to make room for our scorer. Could be filps spot for all I care.

Holland still wants a big forward and defenseman but none are in this free agent class. If someone like that becomes available from being bought out I'm sure he will be "kicking the tires"

Nyquist, Brunner, Andersson and Tatar should all get a lot of minutes next year then we have tradeable pieces. Our prospects are finally just getting noticed around the NHL

Edited by joesuffP

A team that scored 5 goals in 3 games that they could have eliminated a team is NOT good enough. Once Chicago figured out the Wing's system they pretty much neutralized the Wing's top two lines, and became only the 25th team in the history of the NHL to battle back from 1-3 and win in game 7. Next season the Wings will find themselves in the East, were they will find themselves playing much tougher teams for 82 games, and doing so without a true #1 goal scorer, a true #1 D-man, and no back up goaltender. If you think that will end well, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

unless Kenny packages some 2/3 roster guys in a deal then we can pretty much look at the same

team as last years say for the addition of 1 UFA at tops.

I think we are a top 6 scorer and a top 2 D short of being a legit contender next year.

but whos out there ?

We lost to Chicago because we weren't tough enough? I don't believe that and I don't think Holland does either thankfully. Having a full time fighter isn't going to change our team into Stanley cup winning team.

I want to keep the Nyquist-Anders-Brunner line together having Helm center the line if he's healthy would be perfect but if Flip is not resigned I think Nyquist will move up. Also, we have to get Tatar playing in the NHL and not on the 4th line. I dont see where there is room for Sammy and Bert

There will be plenty of room for Bert and Sammy because we always have injuries; namely theirs.

That being said, I do like what Bert brings to the team. Of course I wish you were healthier but I'd take him anyway. Sammy,... that's a tough call. I am afraid that at his age, all this time off will be difficult to come back from.

There will be plenty of room for Bert and Sammy because we always have injuries; namely theirs.

That being said, I do like what Bert brings to the team. Of course I wish you were healthier but I'd take him anyway. Sammy,... that's a tough call. I am afraid that at his age, all this time off will be difficult to come back from.

With his back becoming a liability I don't see Bert being as physical as he was in the past. As for Sammy, the only tough call that anyone should have to make about him is what color the condolence flowers should be to mourn the end of his lackluster career.

Next season the Wings will find themselves in the East, were they will find themselves playing much tougher teams for 82 games

I must admit I don't watch many of the East games but I have seen internet people say that one conference is tougher than the other. Realistically though, what is the majority consensus on the tougher of the two conferences? I always thought other than Boston who plays like a West team, East is more skill-based type hockey with less thuggery/goonery/clutch and grab?

Guest The Axe

How about a sign and trade to make sure assets arent lost and GMs save face?

Sign Cleary and Filppula

Boston signs Hotton

Trade Cleary, Filppula, Sammuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cola, and Franzen to Boston for Horton and Lucic.

Hank-Dats-Horton

Lucic-Helm-Brunner

Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Abdelkader-Emdog-Sheahan

Frk-Pulks

Kronwall-Rig

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Dekeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Mrazak

I must admit I don't watch many of the East games but I have seen internet people say that one conference is tougher than the other. Realistically though, what is the majority consensus on the tougher of the two conferences? I always thought other than Boston who plays like a West team, East is more skill-based type hockey with less thuggery/goonery/clutch and grab?

Rhah: The East have a lot of teams that have very skilled top lines with very physical bottom 6 and defensive corps. The West has more of the power forward model, but, all in all the East is much tougher top to bottom.

How about a sign and trade to make sure assets arent lost and GMs save face?

Sign Cleary and Filppula

Boston signs Hotton

Trade Cleary, Filppula, Sammuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cola, and Franzen to Boston for Horton and Lucic.

Hank-Dats-Horton

Lucic-Helm-Brunner

Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Abdelkader-Emdog-Sheahan

Frk-Pulks

Kronwall-Rig

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Dekeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Mrazak

Trades don't work like that in the real world.

You don't see blockbuster trades involving roster players going both ways. If the Wings wanted to acquire Horton and Lucic it would cost us draft picks and prospects. You might see one roster player thrown in for salary reasons, but your proposed trade would get you hung up on.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hurried in getting players to the NHL, Sheahan will possibly be an injury call-up but has no chance of being an NHL regular, same goes for Mrazek.

Pulkinnen MIGHT get 1 or 2 games at the NHL level if we have a rash of injuries like we did this year but Frk has absolutely no chance whatsoever of playing at all with the Wings next year. We probably won't see him for another 2 or 3 years at the earliest.

Isn't Stephen Weiss a UFA? Wings were rumored to have interest in him at the trade deadline, and one has to think that he'd get a look as a Filppula replacement in the offseason. The guy's got second line center written all over him if you ask me.