• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Wings interested in Stalberg and Bickell

Rate this topic

did you watch the bruins pens game? even without the normally physical bruins doing ANYTHING there were more big hits in that one than any other in the playoffs I think.

Both Physical teams, but those same teams don't kill other teams the same way they do each other, Philly and Boston are the only teams that are scary physically in the east to me

Watching Bickell play against us, I had rotating thoughts in my head, such as:

- Man, that guy is crazy

- Man, I really dislike that guy right now

- Man, he'd be a nice guy to have in a Wings sweater

Maybe we don't really need him, but I'm probably just conditioned to think that way after years of the Wings acquiring players that were detested elsewhere and turning them into fan favorites (Chelios, Shanny, Hull, etc.). Unfortunately, he'll probably get a disproportionate amount of attention as a free agent, and will probably be paid more than he's worth.

Bickell, unlike Tootoo, has the size and toughness to be a true presence without getting himself stupidly thrown in the box. He isn't a very skilled player, but as he showed against us, you can throw him on a 3rd line and he will get involved on offense.

Look at the team hits for this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLSAAALL&sort=hits&viewName=realTimeStats

Look at who is in our division. Tor 1st, Boston 10th, ottawa 6th, MTL 20th, Buff 19th, etc.... Now look at who was in our division this year: Chi 30th, Nash 25th, STL 14th, BJ's12th. Nowwhich is tougher? Our new division by far, not even close. Tor for example had 2x as many hits as we did. No this isn't go to show up right away. But around game 30 it will. Our injuries will increase, more small skilled guys not being able to play.We can expect Z, dat, Nyquist, Brunner etc.... to play fewer games. Hell expect franzen to play fewer games.

The size and toughness difference isn't something that will effect any one game. it is something that will effect us as a team over 50-60 games. I expect us to start of pretty good next year. It is the second half othe year that will be the issue.

Both Physical teams, but those same teams don't kill other teams the same way they do each other, Philly and Boston are the only teams that are scary physically in the east to me

Who scares you in the West? Should be no one. LA? Stl? Their series was one of the tamest. It was Dallas for awhile but they traded away fistric which was the instigator of it all. NHL isn't that physical anymore but there are teams in the EAst that still show the edge. Wings will have to deal with plenty of it in their new division, much more than their old one.

Guest The Axe

That list of hits is disturbing. Miller gets more hits and more points per minute played than anyone else on our team. Why is Franzen allowed to be such a panzy when he's not out-producing by an obviously clear margin?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20132ALLSAAALL&sort=hits&viewName=realTimeStats

Look at who is in our division. Tor 1st, Boston 10th, ottawa 6th, MTL 20th, Buff 19th, etc.... Now look at who was in our division this year: Chi 30th, Nash 25th, STL 14th, BJ's12th. Nowwhich is tougher? Our new division by far, not even close. Tor for example had 2x as many hits as we did. No this isn't go to show up right away. But around game 30 it will. Our injuries will increase, more small skilled guys not being able to play.We can expect Z, dat, Nyquist, Brunner etc.... to play fewer games. Hell expect franzen to play fewer games.

The size and toughness difference isn't something that will effect any one game. it is something that will effect us as a team over 50-60 games. I expect us to start of pretty good next year. It is the second half othe year that will be the issue.

Agreed. Notice the past 4 seasons of injuries for us and notice that teams like Boston and LA are winning Cups cause they're big, tough and skilled. And the Hawks are still around cause of their grit and skill and guys like Bickell causing headaches for the other team.

Guest The Axe

Our little skill dudes are going to get pounded like Gus did on last play of the season.

And those hits will take their toll... Their training needs to address this over the summer.

Agreed. And My Little Pony (The Mule) too.

Our little skill dudes are going to get pounded like Gus did on last play of the season.

And those hits will take their toll... Their training needs to address this over the summer.

Agreed. And My Little Pony (The Mule) too.

did you watch the bruins pens game? even without the normally physical bruins doing ANYTHING there were more big hits in that one than any other in the playoffs I think.

and here is a much better way to judge physicality, use this site, not nhl.com.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/LeagueSeason.aspx?League=1&Season=2013

Why do fights matter? Teams cant force us to fight. They cant just go around punching us either (unless they want to take some serious penalties, which I'm ok with)

When was the last time an eastern team dominated a western team physically in the finals? (except maybe Bruins-Canucks)

Why do fights matter? Teams cant force us to fight. They cant just go around punching us either (unless they want to take some serious penalties, which I'm ok with)

When was the last time an eastern team dominated a western team physically in the finals? (except maybe Bruins-Canucks)

Never said fights did matter. If you browse around this site you will get a sense of what games were physicality fests and you will find most of them are Eastern Conference.

Never said fights did matter. If you browse around this site you will get a sense of what games were physicality fests and you will find most of them are Eastern Conference.

Those games happen when a physical team meets another physical team. You don't see "physicality fests" between teams like Tampa, Florida, Buffalo or Winnipeg

or Washington

Pittsburgh rarely does it, and when they try, they lose

Carolina

New Jersey

Those games happen when a physical team meets another physical team. You don't see "physicality fests" between teams like Tampa, Florida, Buffalo or Winnipeg

or Washington

Carolina

New Jersey

And then this happens:

And teams like WAshington, Tampa, Fla, wpg, all still have a lot of hitters, Fla occasionally will carry around cap floor goons as well.

Also here is another hugely physical game involving one of those teams:

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=422198

there were another 6 huge hits in this one that are up on YT>

There was also an absolute hitfest NJ vs Tampa this year.

Edited by jollymania

The reason those brawl filled games are in the east is because there are more fighters there. The fights are usually fighters fighting other fighters, if you don't have one to fight, then you're less likely to be involved in those types of games.

I bet guys like Orr and Mclaren will be scratched when they play the Wings, or played very sparingly as they won't find any dance partners, and will likely be exposed by the speed on our 3rd and 4th lines.

I doubt it would change the results much but keep in mind that hits, takeaways, blocked shots etc are stats that are kept by the home teams stats guys. The reporting of them is wildly inconsistent from team to team. You might see that the Wings hit totals are significantly higher next season even without much of a roster change.

The reason those brawl filled games are in the east is because there are more fighters there. The fights are usually fighters fighting other fighters, if you don't have one to fight, then you're less likely to be involved in those types of games.

I bet guys like Orr and Mclaren will be scratched when they play the Wings, or played very sparingly as they won't find any dance partners, and will likely be exposed by the speed on our 3rd and 4th lines.

I doubt it would change the results much but keep in mind that hits, takeaways, blocked shots etc are stats that are kept by the home teams stats guys. The reporting of them is wildly inconsistent from team to team. You might see that the Wings hit totals are significantly higher next season even without much of a roster change.

When did i mention anything about brawl-filled games?

Since when does physicality only equal fighting. THat site has everythign form cheapshots to hits to rougings and other events..

the site was called drop your gloves, the first page I opened was entirely about fights, and brawls, then in your next post you posted 2 fight videos.

Forgive me but it sure seemed like you were talking about fighting.

Who scares you in the West? Should be no one. LA? Stl? Their series was one of the tamest. It was Dallas for awhile but they traded away fistric which was the instigator of it all. NHL isn't that physical anymore but there are teams in the EAst that still show the edge. Wings will have to deal with plenty of it in their new division, much more than their old one.

Did u even watch the LA/STL series? "Tame" it was not.

or Washington

Carolina

New Jersey

The Jets definitely do so.

That is laughable. Look at franzens hits now. he barely touches guys, but gets credit for hits. Our forwards as a group are not hitters. This will be a problem. That group is also small. Getting hit by guys the same size, no problem. Getting hit by guys 2-3 inches tallers and 20+ pounds heavier will be an issue over the course of the season.

The last time the Wings were really physically hammered was by the Yotes a couple of years ago. Doan was single handedly the reason why Rafalski retired. He got hammered by Doan and the Wings had no one that could answer. Still don't.

That is laughable. Look at franzens hits now. he barely touches guys, but gets credit for hits. Our forwards as a group are not hitters. This will be a problem. That group is also small. Getting hit by guys the same size, no problem. Getting hit by guys 2-3 inches tallers and 20+ pounds heavier will be an issue over the course of the season.

The last time the Wings were really physically hammered was by the Yotes a couple of years ago. Doan was single handedly the reason why Rafalski retired. He got hammered by Doan and the Wings had no one that could answer. Still don't.

This is exactly my point, the guy in charge of keeping track of stats at Wings home games is very liberal with his definition of what a hit is. Teams in the eastern conference also get the same benefit from their stats guys. They tend to have the same definition for visiting teams as well though so guys like Franzen will likely be credited with far more hits than they rightly deserve.

I'm not saying the Wings will be more physical, but they will likely look like they are based on the stats.

I know everyone always says the Wings are small, and they certainly play small but when you compare the actual size of players they aren't really as small as you'd think.

Boston's average height and weight are 6'1 and 201lbs

The Wings averages are 6'1 and 202 lbs.

I wouldn't want Bickell...all he's doing is scoring and the Wings couldn't use that :eh:

Yeah cause he would be scoring in bunches with the Wings too.

Players get hot in the playoffs no doubt.

Let's get every UFA that gets hot in the most recent playoffs cause that would solve our goal scoring problems.

Makes total sense.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)