• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

One of those is an NHL fight. Like E, Bickell doesn't seem interested in fighting at the NHL level. That is fine- he isn't a fighter (because he rarely fights) and he doesn't have a good record against NHL fighters.

With the two more playoff games played, Bickell has 17 fewer hits than Abby during the 2013 playoffs. Bickell can hit well, but he isn't a frequent hitter.

If Cleary is not re-signed and Bert is bought out, Bickell makes sense (if Clowe and Clarkson aren't available). However, that isn't likely to happen. Signing Bickell will also be a gamble- outside of these playoffs he hasn't proven enough to be a ~3m/yr player IMO.

Allthough Abby played 2 less games than Bickell, he actually still played 20 minutes more than Bickell has thus far. I think Bickell has more hockey sense than Abby and would be more productive playing in the top 6.

Edited by Johnz96, 03 June 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#82 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

The East aint going to be looking to hit and beat up our grinders.... They are going to hit the hell out of our scores and play makers which worries me in regards to longevity and injuries.

Every game will seem like a playoff style game and honestly I dont think Bickell is an asset. he wouldnt hurt to have but not a head turner for me.

We need some more nails and mass because the East will be looking to welcome the mighty mighty Wings to the east by christening the ice with their blood.

The East might be more physical than the West, but come on.

It's not like we're going from Ice Capades to Slapshot.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#83 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Wings need a spark plug type player. Cliche, but they really are a different team when Helmer is in the lineup. Tough to assess what free agent forwards are needed when his back is made of glass.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#84 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Exactly! People seem to think we're going to be walked all over in the east. I don't even think the east is that much different than the west. They have Boston, but St. Louis, LA and San Jose aren't slouches in the hitting department.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#85 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

I don't know why I keep clicking on this thread, it makes my blood boil... its way too soon for me to be talking about these two players.

#86 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

One of those is an NHL fight. Like E, Bickell doesn't seem interested in fighting at the NHL level. That is fine- he isn't a fighter (because he rarely fights) and he doesn't have a good record against NHL fighters.

With the two more playoff games played, Bickell has 17 fewer hits than Abby during the 2013 playoffs. Bickell can hit well, but he isn't a frequent hitter.

If Cleary is not re-signed and Bert is bought out, Bickell makes sense (if Clowe and Clarkson aren't available). However, that isn't likely to happen. Signing Bickell will also be a gamble- outside of these playoffs he hasn't proven enough to be a ~3m/yr player IMO.

He can fight, proven by those videos. And even if he doesn't fight alot he can be coached to fight at the right times. It is clear he knows what he is doing. Bickell is obviously heating up in the playoffs and it occurred when he started playing with a physical edge. And regardless what he gets he will be an asset to this team who needs a younger, tougher big forward.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#87 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I never said that the Wings would get bruised....I said the East will be salivating at the the CHANCE to dominate and bruise The greatest org in Hockey!

I would if I were an East team!

#88 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

If the Wings think, they can go into the east without an enforcer, good luck it would be suicide. Guys like Lucic, Orr, Thornton, MacLaren, Prust, Scott would have a lot of fun doing cheapshots against our stars and not facing any consequences on the ice. So signing one of the top HW guys has to be a priority. Bickell is physical but he stands no chance against any of these guys. I don't care if people think it is a wasted roster spot, an enforcer adds way more than just the time of the ice. He provides security, confidence and makes everyone growing a few inches just because they are there. It's a little bit like the big brother thing. Tootoo is a pest/agitator and not an enforcer, so basically a useless guy in the east because he will have to answer against guys way out of his class in terms of size and fighting skills. So I think something along the lines of Clarkson, Scott + 1 defender has to be on Hollands agenda. Bickell is NOT an enforcer, he is just big and willing to drop the gloves.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#89 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

They may not be interested in coming here
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#90 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

If the Wings think, they can go into the east without an enforcer, good luck it would be suicide. Guys like Lucic, Orr, Thornton, MacLaren, Prust, Scott would have a lot of fun doing cheapshots against our stars and not facing any consequences on the ice. So signing one of the top HW guys has to be a priority. Bickell is physical but he stands no chance against any of these guys. I don't care if people think it is a wasted roster spot, an enforcer adds way more than just the time of the ice. He provides security, confidence and makes everyone growing a few inches just because they are there. It's a little bit like the big brother thing. Tootoo is a pest/agitator and not an enforcer, so basically a useless guy in the east because he will have to answer against guys way out of his class in terms of size and fighting skills. So I think something along the lines of Clarkson, Scott + 1 defender has to be on Hollands agenda. Bickell is NOT an enforcer, he is just big and willing to drop the gloves.

I'd be willing to bet that the Wings will not sign an enforcer this offseason AND that they will fare just as well in the east, if not better, as they did in the west.

Edited by Bannedforlife, 03 June 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#91 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

You all know what will happen The first time somebody gets Kronwalld !!!!!!!

#92 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think we will flourish in the east... But some wings are going to take some beatings!

#93 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Viktor Stalberg: 6'3" 210 Lbs. Among the fastest in the league. Great potential but hasn't clicked in Chicago's organization.

Why would anyone NOT want someone who is big AND fast????

No patience. Smith is big and fast, but half the people on here want him gone.

#94 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

You all know what will happen The first time somebody gets Kronwalld !!!!!!!

we will witness a kronwall fight

#95 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

size is cool and all but grit is the most important thing.

#96 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Well I agree with you, the Wings won't sign an enforcer but they are going to pay for it bigtime, sadly.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#97 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

22 of the top 40 hitters are from the east, seems pretty even to me

http://espn.go.com/n...ts/seasontype/2

#98 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Top 40 hitters in each conference this year

5076 east vs. 4567 west

difference of 509 hits, over 48 games = 10.6 extra hits per game, divided by 15 teams in west (rounding up) 

*drum roll*

a whole extra 0.71 hits per game average. I hope the wings are shaking in their boots, datsyuk cant handle an extra .71 hits/game, I know that, he should just go back to Russia, I now understand why some people say he is scared of the east...  :confused:

#99 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

The Wings are going to be a perineal power in the East!!

Im not arguing one league is tougher than the other...But our new rivals arent known for the speed and finess games.

My opinion is that the Wings grit toughness and willingness to drop gloves will
be tested early and often.

This has nothing to do with hits... Hell the Wings ability to light people up is whats going to lead them to stand and throw hands...or not.

#100 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Top 40 hitters in each conference this year

5076 east vs. 4567 west

difference of 509 hits, over 48 games = 10.6 extra hits per game, divided by 15 teams in west (rounding up) 

*drum roll*

a whole extra 0.71 hits per game average. I hope the wings are shaking in their boots, datsyuk cant handle an extra .71 hits/game, I know that, he should just go back to Russia, I now understand why some people say he is scared of the east...  :confused:

did you watch the bruins pens game? even without the normally physical bruins doing ANYTHING there were more big hits in that one than any other in the playoffs I think.

and here is a much better way to judge physicality, use this site, not nhl.com.

http://www.dropyourg...e=1&Season=2013

Edited by jollymania, 04 June 2013 - 12:06 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter