• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Holland on The Huge Show.

Rate this topic

Most of us like Miller. But some bodies have to leave, even ones who contribute. I'd like him to stay, personally, if there is room. The 'youth movement' is done. So many kids will be up full time next year there will be few call ups.

Interesting that Holland wants more supporting players. We have enough already. Gritty ones, fast ones, defensive ones, offensive ones. We need big guns, Holland!

i think andersson will center the 4th line if helm returns and helm 3rd line

something like

tatar helm brunner

cleary andersson eaves

dont know about miller returning if he does wed have to get rid of tootoo?? emmerton??? that being said if he did return i wouldnt mind he'd be a good cheap 12-13th depth forward

That 3rd line would be so fast. That fourth line should be called the black hole line. In no way should Cleary ever play another game in a Red Wings uniform.

Edited by ben_usmc

Why keep Flip again? Am I.missing something?

Ask the 30 GMs who would die for Filppula to play on their team for the right price. Great skater, great puck control, great battler, hustles his ass off every shift, great two-way play, great at faceoffs and big offensive potential.

We've all seen what Filppula can do and how much he can score. If we can see the 60-70 point Filppula again, isn't it worth giving him a short contract to try and prove himself again? I feel like that is reasonable. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Andersson, Brunner, and Nyquist need to stay as 3rd line

Helm should center the third line (hoping that he returns, I think he will) and Brunner should get a top 6 spot.

Guest Hatethedrake!

For 5 mil a season Flip can take his all world skills to one of the other 29 teams who think he is the 2nd coming of Teemu Selanne. I'm quite happy with Nyquist for 1mil thanks.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so I will add some quotes.

"We would like to get more scoring, a little bigger, a little grittier"

"All 5 of the young guys that played this year will be in Detroit. Lashoff, tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, and Dekeyser" were the names he mentioned. But then he later back tracked a bit. Said "all the young guys will be pushing for time in training camp".

"we will be looking to add some guys via UFA, maybe not top line guys but secondary support type players."

"We have 5 UFA's, some we would like to keep, some we will part ways with. Cleary, Filppula, Miller, White, and Brunner are all UFA's".

We wants to get bigger, tougher... déjà vu. These are the same comments for the past 5 years...

Abdelkader - Dats - Clarkson/Horton

Tatar - Z - Franzen

Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner

Bickell - Helm/Talbot - Tootoo

Miller

Kronwall - DeKe

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl - McQuaid/Quincey

Lashoff

Guest The Axe

We wants to get bigger, tougher... déjà vu. These are the same comments for the past 5 years...

Abdelkader - Dats - Clarkson/Horton

Tatar - Z - Franzen

Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner

Bickell - Helm/Talbot - Tootoo

Miller

Kronwall - DeKe

Ericsson - Smith

Kindl - McQuaid/Quincey

Lashoff

We would all be SHOCKED if Holland made one move.

Letting Cleary go

Letting Flip go

Signing Clarkson/Horton

Signing Bickell

Signing Talbot

Signing McQuaid

I dont think so.

Without getting into what new players should be here. I am going to go with who shouldn't be here:

Franzen - Trade

Filppula - Trade/Walk

Bertuzzi - Buyout

Samuelsson - Buyout

Quincey - Trade

Cleary - Let Go

White - Let Go

Miller - ONLY because Eaves is already signed for another year, and they are basically the same players. But if Miller is willing to come back to be a 13th/14th guy, then that is ok.

Obviously re-sign Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson & Kindl.

Like I said, I don't know nor want to discuss WHO we get in return for Franzen, whether it be a player or pick. I am all for getting a couple more picks this draft if we could get another 1st and 2nd for Filppula and Franzen. Trade Filppula to Anaheim for their 1st and Franzen & Quincey to Dallas for their 1st. That would work.

With those two trades along with some modest raises for the kids, we would have nearly $17M in cap space to fill in the roster. That includes have all of Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, Andersson and Tatar up. Now that leaves 2-3 forward roster spots to complete the roster and if you cannot get TWO top 6 gunners for $15M to $17M then something is wrong.

Edited by LeftWinger

The Best case scenario goes like this:

1) Dump Bert and Sammy with Buyouts

2) Dump White, Cleary, Cola, Tootoo, Miller, and Eaves via UFA/trade package

3) Wings sign Horton.

4) Wings sign Flip

5) Helm is back

Hank-Dats-Horton

Franzen-Helm-Filppula

Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist

Abdelkader-Emdog-Tatar

Shehan-Frk

Kronwall-Rig

Smith-Quincey

Kindl-Dekeyser

Lashoff

Howard

Mrazek

Francine needs to sit in the owner's box until he understands that he has to earn his minutes, actually maybe Babcock is the one that needs to understand that veterans as well as rookies need to earn their ice time. Grow some Bs Babcock.

The "right price" would be 4M max IMO.

I agree. Like I've said, give him a 2 year deal in the mid $3m range to see if he can score 60+ points again. If not, either let him walk or sign him for less than 3 mill. Worst case scenario he becomes one of the best players on a third line in the league for a year. Best case scenario he goes back to 70 point Filppula mode and is a huge asset and one of the best two way players in the league.

Seriously, someone tell me I'm wrong. And if so, why.

Edited by Z and D for the C

For 5 mil a season Flip can take his all world skills to one of the other 29 teams who think he is the 2nd coming of Teemu Selanne. I'm quite happy with Nyquist for 1mil thanks.

Who is talking about signing him for 5mil anymore? I don't want him at $5m either.

Flip asking for $5m is ancient history by now, he was asking for that after coming off his 66 point season (which would make him deserve $5m). After realizing that he didn't have a good season, I'm sure that asking price has come down.

Filppula got paid for "potential" once already and to his credit finally came through last season. He's 29 years old though and that 60+ point season looks far more like an outlier than what he is consistently capable of offensively. I just don't think Filppula gives the Red Wings anything special worth keeping. He can't center the second line and be reliable enough to let Z and Pavel play together. Playing on the wing should allow him to utilize his skating, but everything he does is to the perimeter. The Red Wings need size and goal-scoring injected into the top-six and Filppula provides neither.

With Nyquist and Tatar lingering, Filppula is even less necessary.

Ask the 30 GMs who would die for Filppula to play on their team for the right price. Great skater, great puck control, great battler, hustles his ass off every shift, great two-way play, great at faceoffs and big offensive potential.

We've all seen what Filppula can do and how much he can score. If we can see the 60-70 point Filppula again, isn't it worth giving him a short contract to try and prove himself again? I feel like that is reasonable. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Helm should center the third line (hoping that he returns, I think he will) and Brunner should get a top 6 spot.

Filppula can skate, yes. I don't see him as a "battler" at all. Battlers go in the corner, get gritty, play tough. Filppula does not do that. He isn't lazy, his effort isn't the question, it's the results... which are seriously lacking for a player of his ability. He is good defensively and on faceoffs, but cannot center a 2nd line, he has proven that throughout his career here. And at 29, the days of discussing "potential" are long over.

Flip is 29 so lets STOP talking about his potential...

Flip had potential in 2008, which is why Holland would not trade him for Fedorov...Flip has topped out and considering where his potential went, I think given that trade opportunity again, Fedorov retires a Red Wing...(and most likely wins back 2 back titles 08-09)

Also, we can stop with the "if we can see the 70 point Flip again..." nonsense. That is getting just as annoying as the "Playoff Franzen" crap. Neither are making a re-appearance so lets move on. Hell, we may never see 90 point Datsyuk again either...especially with Abby and Franzen on his line.

Yeah, I'm tired of talking about Flip's potential. That made sense in previous seasons, but sooner or later you have to realize that it's highly unlikely he'll ever really break out. He had a high point output one year, and he appears to be just another one-hit wonder.

Filppula can skate, yes. I don't see him as a "battler" at all. Battlers go in the corner, get gritty, play tough. Filppula does not do that. He isn't lazy, his effort isn't the question, it's the results... which are seriously lacking for a player of his ability. He is good defensively and on faceoffs, but cannot center a 2nd line, he has proven that throughout his career here. And at 29, the days of discussing "potential" are long over.

For real.

The bottom line is, you will almost certainly be overpaying for potential. But he's 29, had one season where he lived up to it, and will probably get 5 years no matter how you slice it. We can't pay that for a fringe top 6 guy, period. To tell you the truth, I think Andersson will be every bit as good as Fil...and soon. Maybe not next year, but soon enough to make Fil not worth that commitment. Its guys like Fil that you let walk and hand the minutes to young guys like Andersson and Nyquist.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Who is talking about signing him for 5mil anymore? I don't want him at $5m either.

Flip asking for $5m is ancient history by now, he was asking for that after coming off his 66 point season (which would make him deserve $5m). After realizing that he didn't have a good season, I'm sure that asking price has come down.[/quote. How is 5 mil ancient history? That is exactly what he is rumoured to be asking for on the open market as a UFA. Teams will pay it. I don't see the Wings being one of them. Why woud his asking price come down? He knows he will cash in with a weak UFA market. Plus he has already stated that there is a possibility he will not be with the Wings next season.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Hell, we may never see 90 point Datsyuk again either...especially with Abby and Franzen on his line.

We can see a 90 points datsyuk again if we dump filpula and get someone who can center the second line so Datsyuk and Zetterberg can play together. But that's a lot of ifs ands or buts.