• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

For 5 mil a season Flip can take his all world skills to one of the other 29 teams who think he is the 2nd coming of Teemu Selanne. I'm quite happy with Nyquist for 1mil thanks.

Who is talking about signing him for 5mil anymore? I don't want him at $5m either.

Flip asking for $5m is ancient history by now, he was asking for that after coming off his 66 point season (which would make him deserve $5m). After realizing that he didn't have a good season, I'm sure that asking price has come down.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#42 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Filppula got paid for "potential" once already and to his credit finally came through last season. He's 29 years old though and that 60+ point season looks far more like an outlier than what he is consistently capable of offensively. I just don't think Filppula gives the Red Wings anything special worth keeping. He can't center the second line and be reliable enough to let Z and Pavel play together. Playing on the wing should allow him to utilize his skating, but everything he does is to the perimeter. The Red Wings need size and goal-scoring injected into the top-six and Filppula provides neither. 

With Nyquist and Tatar lingering, Filppula is even less necessary. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#43 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Ask the 30 GMs who would die for Filppula to play on their team for the right price. Great skater, great puck control, great battler, hustles his ass off every shift, great two-way play, great at faceoffs and big offensive potential.

We've all seen what Filppula can do and how much he can score. If we can see the 60-70 point Filppula again, isn't it worth giving him a short contract to try and prove himself again? I feel like that is reasonable. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Helm should center the third line (hoping that he returns, I think he will) and Brunner should get a top 6 spot.

Filppula can skate, yes.  I don't see him as a "battler" at all.  Battlers go in the corner, get gritty, play tough.  Filppula does not do that.  He isn't lazy, his effort isn't the question, it's the results... which are seriously lacking for a player of his ability.  He is good defensively and on faceoffs, but cannot center a 2nd line, he has proven that throughout his career here.  And at 29, the days of discussing "potential" are long over.

#44 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Flip is 29 so lets STOP talking about his potential...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Flip is 29 so lets STOP talking about his potential...

Flip had potential in 2008, which is why Holland would not trade him for Fedorov...Flip has topped out and considering where his potential went, I think given that trade opportunity again, Fedorov retires a Red Wing...(and most likely wins back 2 back titles 08-09)

Also, we can stop with the "if we can see the 70 point Flip again..." nonsense.  That is getting just as annoying as the "Playoff Franzen" crap.  Neither are making a re-appearance so lets move on.  Hell, we may never see 90 point Datsyuk again either...especially with Abby and Franzen on his line.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#46 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, I'm tired of talking about Flip's potential.  That made sense in previous seasons, but sooner or later you have to realize that it's highly unlikely he'll ever really break out.  He had a high point output one year, and he appears to be just another one-hit wonder.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#47 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Filppula can skate, yes.  I don't see him as a "battler" at all.  Battlers go in the corner, get gritty, play tough.  Filppula does not do that.  He isn't lazy, his effort isn't the question, it's the results... which are seriously lacking for a player of his ability.  He is good defensively and on faceoffs, but cannot center a 2nd line, he has proven that throughout his career here.  And at 29, the days of discussing "potential" are long over.

For real.

The bottom line is, you will almost certainly be overpaying for potential. But he's 29, had one season where he lived up to it, and will probably get 5 years no matter how you slice it. We can't pay that for a fringe top 6 guy, period. To tell you the truth, I think Andersson will be every bit as good as Fil...and soon. Maybe not next year, but soon enough to make Fil not worth that commitment. Its guys like Fil that you let walk and hand the minutes to young guys like Andersson and Nyquist.

#48 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

[quote name="Z and D for the C" post="2417098" timestamp="1370201517"]
Who is talking about signing him for 5mil anymore? I don't want him at $5m either.

Flip asking for $5m is ancient history by now, he was asking for that after coming off his 66 point season (which would make him deserve $5m). After realizing that he didn't have a good season, I'm sure that asking price has come down.[/quote. How is 5 mil ancient history? That is exactly what he is rumoured to be asking for on the open market as a UFA. Teams will pay it. I don't see the Wings being one of them. Why woud his asking price come down? He knows he will cash in with a weak UFA market. Plus he has already stated that there is a possibility he will not be with the Wings next season.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 02 June 2013 - 11:21 PM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#49 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hell, we may never see 90 point Datsyuk again either...especially with Abby and Franzen on his line.

We can see a 90 points datsyuk again if we dump filpula and get someone who can center the second line so Datsyuk and Zetterberg can play together. But that's a lot of ifs ands or buts.

#50 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

While we are at it - Fil never drives the net entering the zone - he passes the blue line and then twirls back towards the boards and looks to pass or dump it. The guy is so one dimensional in his play sometimes.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#51 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

For 5 mil a season Flip can take his all world skills to one of the other 29 teams who think he is the 2nd coming of Teemu Selanne. I'm quite happy with Nyquist for 1mil thanks.

Speaking of which, I have a feeling he'll be in a Ducks sweater next season.  Especially if Teemu resigns.  Or hey, how about they both sign with the Jets?  Anyone?  Anyone?  :bye:

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

[quote name="Z and D for the C" post="2417098" timestamp="1370201517"]

Flip asking for $5m is ancient history by now, he was asking for that after coming off his 66 point season (which would make him deserve $5m). After realizing that he didn't have a good season, I'm sure that asking price has come down.[/quote. How is 5 mil ancient history? That is exactly what he is rumoured to be asking for on the open market as a UFA. Teams will pay it. I don't see the Wings being one of them. Why woud his asking price come down? He knows he will cash in with a weak UFA market. Plus he has already stated that there is a possibility he will not be with the Wings next season.

Could you find me a source stating that he expects $5m?

#53 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

Could you find me a source where he doesn't expect 5 million?

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Filppula getting 5 years, 20 million is peefect.

#55 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

I don't think that counts as a source

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#56 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

I would take him at 4. Not 5 though. Can't see Kenny overpaying for Flip.

#57 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

I would take him at 4. Not 5 though. Can't see Kenny overpaying for Flip.

Why not? He overpays for CRAP like Samuelsson.

#58 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

I don't think that counts as a source

. So what is he asking for exactly? Your post doesn't look like a source.

#59 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

Why not? He overpays for CRAP like Samuelsson.

. Good point.

#60 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

It doesn't work that way. You're claiming that he expects $5m per year. I'm asking you to tell me where this was stated. Speculation does not count.

My meaning here is that the entirety of this "Filppula expects ___ per year" nonsense is based upon rumor.