• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

Making up your own rules is not a source. TSN, sportsnet, cbc have All reported that Flip's agent is seeking in the 5 mil range. These guys are reputable sources. His agent can use Grabovski as a comparison. He makes 5.5 mil a season. Just because something is rumoured does not mean it isn't true. For example Dekeyser was rumoured to be signing with Detroit. Was it a fact that he would sign there? No. But he did. Where there is smoke there is fire. All indications are that Flip will be asking for 5 mil a season. Connect the dots here.If Flip wanted only 4 mil a season, wouldn't Kenny have signed him by now? This indicates Flip is going for the 5 mil a season his agent believes he can get. Could he decide on July 5 to accept less and 're-sign with the Wings? Sure. Rumours are all we have right now. I think you only play the Facts Game so you can tell anyone they are wrong at all times. I think it is pretty spineless to be honest.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 03 June 2013 - 03:25 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#62 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

Making up your own rules is not a source. TSN, sportsnet, cbc have All reported that Flip's agent is seeking in the 5 mil range. These guys are reputable sources. His agent can use Grabovski as a comparison. He makes 5.5 mil a season. Just because something is rumoured does not mean it isn't true. For example Dekeyser was rumoured to be signing with Detroit. Was it a fact that he would sign there? No. But he did. Where there is smoke there is fire. All indications are that Flip will be asking for 5 mil a season. Connect the dots here.If Flip wanted only 4 mil a season, wouldn't Kenny have signed him by now? This indicates Flip is going for the 5 mil a season his agent believes he can get. Could he decide on July 5 to accept less and 're-sign with the Wings? Sure. Rumours are all we have right now. I think you only play the Facts Game so you can tell anyone they are wrong at all times. I think it is pretty spineless to be honest.

I don't think you understand the concept of a source. Tip: if you're writing a paper and cite a statistic without pointing to its source, "Can you find me something that proves this statistic incorrect?" will not be a viable response to your teacher. The burden of proof is on he or she who has made the claim. In this event, that is you. To this point---the post I'm responding to included---all you have is pure conjecture.

That said, if TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC have all reported this, then you should easily be able to rustle me up a link. Make it so!

Edited by Crymson, 03 June 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#63 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Filppula at $5, 4 or 3 M per season - who cares? After this playoff I'm thinking we are better off without him. Spend the money on someone that can actually help the team. Clarkson for example.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#64 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Barnes, I think we are better off without him. Does Kenny think so too? Also, there are no guarantees Clarkson will sign here. We saw this last summer.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#65 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Barnes, I think we are better off without him. Does Kenny think so too? Also, there are no guarantees Clarkson will sign here. We saw this last summer.

I do think that Holland will be looking for quite a discount from the rumored $5 M actually. There are no sure bets, but Clarkson is the only player this year worth throwing the bank at. It should give us a decent shot at least. And if it boils down to a financial question, it should be Clarkson > Filppula.

#66 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Nah you can find it for yourself. I would help you out however I think you're a babbling idiot.

And thus you prove my point.

I do think that Holland will be looking for quite a discount from the rumored $5 M actually. There are no sure bets, but Clarkson is the only player this year worth throwing the bank at. It should give us a decent shot at least. And if it boils down to a financial question, it should be Clarkson > Filppula.

Holland has shown a willingness in the past to part with players who under-perform. Hudler is the most recent example. Lang is another.

#67 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ask the 30 GMs who would die for Filppula to play on their team for the right price. Great skater, great puck control, great battler, hustles his ass off every shift, great two-way play, great at faceoffs and big offensive potential.

We've all seen what Filppula can do and how much he can score. If we can see the 60-70 point Filppula again, isn't it worth giving him a short contract to try and prove himself again? I feel like that is reasonable. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Helm should center the third line (hoping that he returns, I think he will) and Brunner should get a top 6 spot.

Filp is redundant on this team.  I say we sign him to 2 yrs at 4 million/yr and then trade him at the deadline next year.

edit: make the 4 million a year

Edited by RedWingsDad, 03 June 2013 - 11:48 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#68 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

david clarkson is from toronto .... since detroit is near toronto "maybe" we'd have a shot

#69 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

And thus you prove my point.

Holland has shown a willingness in the past to part with players who under-perform. Hudler is the most recent example. Lang is another.

not to jump in your little fight, but earlier this year is was reported in several places that Filppula was going to be asking for 5 million per season on a long term contract.

fact is he will get it. He is a better all around player than Hudler who just got 4 million per year. Now maybe in the end the cap hit is only 4.5, but Fil will get paid. In fact last week one of the writers from Detroit was on the Huge show discussing this very thing. I forget the guys name.... I want to say durpa or something like that.

#70 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Agreed, there is hope. Although Im not sure I would put Lang in the same category as Hudler here. I think there is a stronger bond with players drafted by the organization.

#71 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Filppula is better thanyou guys give him credit for. He struggled at times this year because he can't be "the guy" on a line. He works as a supporting guy to a better player. We are going to be much deeper next year even if Holland makes no changes because our young guys will probably all get better. We'll have Nyquist or brunner in the top six, which should take some responsibility away from Filppula.

Filppula also played really well with Bertuzzi at times in the 2012 season. Assuming he gets healthy, he should replace cleary in the top 6, giving Filppula the shooter he needs.

5mil is obviously too much, but at this point I don't think he'll be able to get that anywhere. I think Holland gets him for 4-4.5mil

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#72 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

not to jump in your little fight, but earlier this year is was reported in several places that Filppula was going to be asking for 5 million per season on a long term contract.

fact is he will get it. He is a better all around player than Hudler who just got 4 million per year. Now maybe in the end the cap hit is only 4.5, but Fil will get paid. In fact last week one of the writers from Detroit was on the Huge show discussing this very thing. I forget the guys name.... I want to say durpa or something like that.

In no universe will Filppula get $5m per season. Hudler scored 25 goals in his contract season, and this is why he got paid. Filppula, in his own, garnered his worst PPG average since the 2006-2007 season. And when he's not scoring, he's generally invisible.

That said, I did a Google search, and it turns out that I was incorrect about this just being a rumor. He's got some serious gall to ask for that sum after how he played this season.

Edited by Crymson, 03 June 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#73 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Filppula is better thanyou guys give him credit for. He struggled at times this year because he can't be "the guy" on a line. He works as a supporting guy to a better player. We are going to be much deeper next year even if Holland makes no changes because our young guys will probably all get better. We'll have Nyquist or brunner in the top six, which should take some responsibility away from Filppula.

Filppula also played really well with Bertuzzi at times in the 2012 season. Assuming he gets healthy, he should replace cleary in the top 6, giving Filppula the shooter he needs.

5mil is obviously too much, but at this point I don't think he'll be able to get that anywhere. I think Holland gets him for 4-4.5mil

Filppula wasn't being asked to be "the guy" this season either. He played most of the season on a line with Zetterberg. If he can't handle the added responsibility of producing offensively when given top-six minutes and PP time, then he certainly isn't worth the rumored price tag.

#74 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Like Hudler, Filppula is crap when he isn't scoring. He's not quite as bad as Hudler in that regard, of course; then again, Hudler is a better natural scorer than Filppula is. Whatever the case, I won't miss him any more than I did Hudler.

That said, if Filppula wants to be paid $5m per season, he'd damned well better be able to be "the guy."

#75 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Filppula wasn't being asked to be "the guy" this season either. He played most of the season on a line with Zetterberg. If he can't handle the added responsibility of producing offensively when given top-six minutes and PP time, then he certainly isn't worth the rumored price tag.

He struggled when Zetterberg struggled. That's my point. With more depth in the top 6, it will be easier to match up scorers with supporters. If filppula and Zetterberg don't work together, Babcock can match him with Brunner. nyquist or Datsyuk instead

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#76 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

He struggled when Zetterberg struggled. That's my point. With more depth in the top 6, it will be easier to match up scorers with supporters. If filppula and Zetterberg don't work together, Babcock can match him with Brunner. nyquist or Datsyuk instead

He's not worth $4m, let alone $5m. The jury is still out as to if he can consistently produce at the NHL level. It appears now that his 2006-2007 season was an aberration. Whatever the case, Filppula is not a solid 2nd-line player. He's best as a 3rd-line center, and those don't merit that large of a paycheck.

#77 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Z still managed a point-per-game pace while being one of the best defensive forwards in hockey. Filppula had 17 points and followed that up with a horrible playoff showing, where he was a non-factor entirely. The Red Wings need a new dimension in the top-six consisting of a goal-scoring winger and some size. Filppula provides neither of those and shuffling around the same pieces is just a bandage. 

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Z still managed a point-per-game pace while being one of the best defensive forwards in hockey. Filppula had 17 points and followed that up with a horrible playoff showing, where he was a non-factor entirely. The Red Wings need a new dimension in the top-six consisting of a goal-scoring winger and some size. Filppula provides neither of those and shuffling around the same pieces is just a bandage. 

Id like him as 3rd line center at 4 mil per for 5 yrs.

#79 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

In no universe will Filppula get $5m per season. Hudler scored 25 goals in his contract season, and this is why he got paid. Filppula, in his own, garnered his worst PPG average since the 2006-2007 season. And when he's not scoring, he's generally invisible.

That said, I did a Google search, and it turns out that I was incorrect about this just being a rumor. He's got some serious gall to ask for that sum after how he played this season.

Yes he will. That is the state of business in the NHL today. His agent can easily point to the 66 points last year and his inuries this year. he started the NHL season with a bad knee from playing in Europe, then had a bad shoulder, no training camp etc... On top of that he is one of the best under 30 forwards available.

#80 Rando824

Rando824

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

First off I would just like to say that I am on this site almost every single day for the past few years and have been a die hard Wings fan for as long as I can remember.  That being said I just enjoyed reading the topics but have decided that its time to get involved in the posts... 

Its almost a forgone conclusion that they are going to buy out Richards from NYR... How much do you thing he will cost a new team and I personally think he would be an upgrade over Flip.  I also believe they should give up whatever they had to (Besides Dats, Zetterberg, Kronwall) if they could trade for Vanek from Buffalo.  He has expressed that he does not want to be part of the rebuilding process and I believe he and Miller will get traded this offseason.  Thoughts???