The CapGeek Thread

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#41 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I agree with everything you said, but I would like Bert as a first liner. He's one of our best shooters and has good hands. Don't you remember his 45 points in 2011 and his 38 points in 2012?

I love Bert don't get me wrong..but he isn't young and his back is a mess..he would be a good 2/3rd line guy but no way he should play on the top line. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#42 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Don't be so quick to sleep on Tootoo.... Next year he gets 30-40pts while banging bodies and clearing space!

#43 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Wow..where did Ericsson, Smith and Quincey go? They can't jsut disappear lol.  With that D we would lose 70 games.  Bert on the 1st line ? Andersson..where is he? I'm all for posting lineups and stuff but lets at least follow the guide lines of what an actual NHL roster would consist of. 

Ericsson was the worst Redwing in den Playoffs although he earns more than 3 Mio. I can tell you I destroyed a lot of things during the Playoffs just because of his terrible mistakes. Man, how slowly, inflexible and limited can you be? Just watch his stats! 14 giveaway's, 0 takeaways. And I'm sure there were a lot more GA's. Ok, sometimes he plays an awesome pass and he hits very often and very well. But what an overpayment to give him 3,25 Mio. Same thing with Quincey. His concentration is a little bit better but he's as limited and slow as Ericsson and he's misshandles the puck very often. Plus he's such a terrible skater. And you wanna pay him his 3,75 Mio anymore? Sure?

We can talk about Smith. He's a very skilled defender but his playoffs were very bad and I lost a lot of hair just because of him. Plus I think that he plays not hard enough. Has to be and to play bigger. We can offer him a new contract, I don't mind. But for the future I do particularly count on Danny D and Lash and they're even a year younger.

I think Coach Babcock have to check what Marchenko and Jensen would be able to bring. If they can help the team it would be great. We really need one or two valable RH defenders to complete our PP-units. Otherwise we would have enough cap space to add at least one better RH d-man. I really don't know what's your problem with that D. Lash already played big minutes with Kronner. And he played very well. I think Kronner was in a very good mood as well when he played with Lash. DeKeyser anyway played sensational for us and I think Cola gives an impressive comeback after his long injury. He played very well. For me, he was one of our best D-men during the playoffs. Perhaps number two right after Kronner. Played simple but very hard, made no mistakes. Even technically very solid.

What's your problem with Bert on the 1st line? He's exactly the type of player Pav need beside him. Pav need big boys who win the bord battles and who are able to work hard in the slot. But mainly he need snipers beside him. Players who can exploit his ideas. Bert is exactly that type of player and I think he's way better than Mule. The Mule just floats very often. I also wanna see Tatar tested on this line. He's a small guy but he plays very big and he has the quickest hands of the whole franchise after Pav and Brunner. But if this line would not work, I've no problem to bring in Jurco or the Mule. But i strictly don't wanna see Abdelkader working with one of the top lines.

I wanna see more skilled guys on our top lines and more big physical guys on our checking lines. That's also the point why Andersson is useless. He's a big guy but he's not able to use his impressive weight. Big guys who aren't technically skilled really have to play big. Otherwise they're just useless. I think Emmerton is the better one of those two altough Andersson's way better on FO's.

Edited by poel, 04 June 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#44 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Leopold was Buffalo's worst defenseman, and San Jose couldn't wait to get rid of Murray. No thanks. Streit won't be leaving the Isles.

I don't think you've been watching the Calder Cup playoffs, else you would know that Mrazek is absolutely not ready for the NHL.

looks like streit will be on a new team next year http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

so i refine my og post trade quincey/cola sign streit 

Edited by brett, 04 June 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

looks like streit will be on a new team next year http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

so i refine my og post trade quincey/cola sign streit 

I don't like Q, but he is MUCH younger than Streit and I am not so sure Streit is going to come here to be the 6/7 defenseman...being 35, I wonder what he is looking for in a contract....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#46 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

I don't like Q, but he is MUCH younger than Streit and I am not so sure Streit is going to come here to be the 6/7 defenseman...being 35, I wonder what he is looking for in a contract....

Streit is a PP guy who can put up points and move the puck up the ice really well. Like Rafalski.

He'd be looking for at least 3 years @ 5M/per and he would play in Detroit's top four.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#47 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Ericsson was the worst Redwing in den Playoffs although he earns more than 3 Mio. I can tell you I destroyed a lot of things during the Playoffs just because of his terrible mistakes. Man, how slowly, inflexible and limited can you be? Just watch his stats! 14 giveaway's, 0 takeaways. And I'm sure there were a lot more GA's. Ok, sometimes he plays an awesome pass and he hits very often and very well. But what an overpayment to give him 3,25 Mio. Same thing with Quincey. His concentration is a little bit better but he's as limited and slow as Ericsson and he's misshandles the puck very often. Plus he's such a terrible skater. And you wanna pay him his 3,75 Mio anymore? Sure?

We can talk about Smith. He's a very skilled defender but his playoffs were very bad and I lost a lot of hair just because of him. Plus I think that he plays not hard enough. Has to be and to play bigger. We can offer him a new contract, I don't mind. But for the future I do particularly count on Danny D and Lash and they're even a year younger.

I think Coach Babcock have to check what Marchenko and Jensen would be able to bring. If they can help the team it would be great. We really need one or two valable RH defenders to complete our PP-units. Otherwise we would have enough cap space to add at least one better RH d-man. I really don't know what's your problem with that D. Lash already played big minutes with Kronner. And he played very well. I think Kronner was in a very good mood as well when he played with Lash. DeKeyser anyway played sensational for us and I think Cola gives an impressive comeback after his long injury. He played very well. For me, he was one of our best D-men during the playoffs. Perhaps number two right after Kronner. Played simple but very hard, made no mistakes. Even technically very solid.

What's your problem with Bert on the 1st line? He's exactly the type of player Pav need beside him. Pav need big boys who win the bord battles and who are able to work hard in the slot. But mainly he need snipers beside him. Players who can exploit his ideas. Bert is exactly that type of player and I think he's way better than Mule. The Mule just floats very often. I also wanna see Tatar tested on this line. He's a small guy but he plays very big and he has the quickest hands of the whole franchise after Pav and Brunner. But if this line would not work, I've no problem to bring in Jurco or the Mule. But i strictly don't wanna see Abdelkader working with one of the top lines.

I wanna see more skilled guys on our top lines and more big physical guys on our checking lines. That's also the point why Andersson is useless. He's a big guy but he's not able to use his impressive weight. Big guys who aren't technically skilled really have to play big. Otherwise they're just useless. I think Emmerton is the better one of those two altough Andersson's way better on FO's.

- Worst Red Wing in the playoffs? Were you even watching..he played top 2 minutes against Anaheim and Chicago's top line and was very good..often having to cover for some of Kronner's brain farts

- I will bet my house, cars, and whatever meager amount of money I have in my couch cushions that Jensen and Marchenko are not anywhere near Hockeytown next year ..well maybe in rookie camp. As for Lashoff, it was a good season for him but in the playoffs it was clear he was out of his element a bit and needs to get quicker and read the play better which i'm sure he will work on.

- My problem with Bert on the 1st line is that he's slow, injury prone..he just can't keep up ..he's played well with Dats in the past but he has another injury under his belt and clearly wasn't right in the playoffs so who knows if he's going to even play.  He's a 2/3rd liner and a 2nd PP unit guy..or he's going to retire or get bought out. Love Bert but thats the truth with him.

- Here is where I'm convinced you don't really watch.  Andersson useless? They called him up during all the injuries for spot duty and could never send him back down because he played so well.  Always has his body in the right position, makes minimal mistakes, kills penalties, good chem with Brunner and Gus, works hard.  He lacks some speed but makes up for it in smarts, could use some polish with the puck but he was never thought of a guy who was going to score a ton of points.  30-40 points would be a bonus with all the other things he brings..he wont be playing in GR next  year I can guarantee that.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Streit is a PP guy who can put up points and move the puck up the ice really well. Like Rafalski.

He'd be looking for at least 3 years @ 5M/per and he would play in Detroit's top four.

Hmmmmm..... $5M is a lot to pay, but if he can make our powerplay better and can score here more than the Isle... He is a left hand shot though.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#49 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Leopold was good some years ago. Murray is a fringe third-pairing defenseman.

Mrazek has loads of talent, but he is prone to spells of inconsistency. If these are an issue at the AHL level, they'd be deadly in the NHL.

The idea that Filppula wants $5m is a rumor, nothing more. So, for that matter, was the claim that he wants $4m. People picked it up and ran with it.

Like the inconsistency that Howard exhibited, nearly every one of his four seasons in Grand Rapids?

And as far as people running with the 4-5 million thing for Flip, it was on Mlive and a few other sites. It's still a rumor, clearly, but it's not like people were pulling it out of their hind end. Mlive is credible with a fair amount of stuff, so even their speculation is going to be run with on the forums.

Edit: On another note, Streit would have made more sense to sign last season. I honestly believe we have a solid core for the next 3-5 years of Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Kindl and Smith. Perhaps two of those younger guys will emerge as legitimate top 4 defenders, and the other can be moved in a package deal for a forward. At this point, Streit would kind of mess with what they're trying to find out on defense, in my opinion.

Edited by Jesusberg, 05 June 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#50 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hmmmmm..... $5M is a lot to pay, but if he can make our powerplay better and can score here more than the Isle... He is a left hand shot though.

Yeah, I don't think Streit will sign here at all. I was just pointing out that IF he did, he'd be more than a #6/7 D-man.

#51 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I actually wouldn't mind a Quincey trade and then sign Murray.  I know he is a 6/7 guy now, but I have to think he would be a good addition on this team.  We all know how much Holland loves his Swedish defenders....I wouldn't doubt he goes with Robert Haag in the 1st round this year and pass on every other thing he NEEDS.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#52 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I actually wouldn't mind a Quincey trade and then sign Murray.  I know he is a 6/7 guy now, but I have to think he would be a good addition on this team.  We all know how much Holland loves his Swedish defenders....I wouldn't doubt he goes with Robert Haag in the 1st round this year and pass on every other thing he NEEDS.

I know it's fun to prepare yourself for what you think will be worst case scenario by freaking out ahead of time, but the man who had final say in all recent Red Wing drafts is now the GM of Dallas. So, with that being a very well know fact, what precedent is there to indicate the Wings will pick Haag? Fact is, none of us know how Holland will operate this summer without Nill

Edited by rick zombo, 05 June 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#53 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I know it's fun to prepare yourself for what you think will be worst case scenario by freaking out ahead of time, but the man who had final say in all recent Red Wing drafts is now the GM of Dallas. So, with that being a very well know fact, what precedent is there to indicate the Wings will pick Haag? Fact is, none of us know how Holland will operate this summer without Nill

You could be right.  I sure am hoping for the right type of player.  I just hope that us having such a young D already and with a couple of handfuls of prospects, we won't need such a high pick for a D.  I am still intrigued by Steve Santini though... I hope Holland changes things in the direction we need to go...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I don't always like everything that Holland does, but give him more credit for his recent drafting that includes Sproul, Ouellet, Mrazek, Patterson, Jurco, Marchenko, Jensen, Frk...I don't need to keep going cause we all know the guys that Kenny drafted that we're all high on and watching very closely.  He's been drafting with late picks and lots of 2nd round gems for the past decade and our prospect pool is nasty right now.  Our main need is big bodied forwards and Kenny has stated that.  Expect him to follow through with that just like he got what we wanted last summer.  Not 1 player drafted last year was under 6'0. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#55 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I don't always like everything that Holland does, but give him more credit for his recent drafting that includes Sproul, Ouellet, Mrazek, Patterson, Jurco, Marchenko, Jensen, Frk...I don't need to keep going cause we all know the guys that Kenny drafted that we're all high on and watching very closely.  He's been drafting with late picks and lots of 2nd round gems for the past decade and our prospect pool is nasty right now.  Our main need is big bodied forwards and Kenny has stated that.  Expect him to follow through with that just like he got what we wanted last summer.  Not 1 player drafted last year was under 6'0. 

Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Franzen.

Big bodies. All useless.

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Franzen.

Big bodies. All useless.

I wouldn't necessarily call Tuzzi and Mule useless, but those 3 being subpar if you will, does not negate the fact that we need some bigger bodies developed in our system.  Look at the Kings and Bruins.  They get it. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#57 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I wouldn't necessarily call Tuzzi and Mule useless, but those 3 being subpar if you will, does not negate the fact that we need some bigger bodies developed in our system.  Look at the Kings and Bruins.  They get it. 

Totally agree with you. I just want some big dudes with some cajones.

#58 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

There are two big tough teams left and two skill teams.  One of each is leading their series.  It's not like being big and rugged is some guarantee or something.  Skill wins as often as not. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#59 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

There are two big tough teams left and two skill teams.  One of each is leading their series.  It's not like being big and rugged is some guarantee or something.  Skill wins as often as not. 

Chicago aint small. And they are plenty rugged. Shaw has already injured and ended 2 players this playoffs. I hate to believe it, but you need that nastiness to get through.

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Chicago aint small. And they are plenty rugged. Shaw has already injured and ended 2 players this playoffs. I hate to believe it, but you need that nastiness to get through.

Shaw's 5'11 I80 lbs.  Yeah he's got an attitude but he's hardly a "big body", which around here all too often gets confused with being chippy and playing an aggressive game.  Now, I'm all for the Brandon Prusts, Jordin Tootoos, etc. because they can still play the game and they bring that element of attitude like you're talking about.  But I'm not all for changing around a system that has worked better than any other system for the last two decades.  We draft skill, we play puck possession, and we rely on good overall team defense.  It works.  Not need to go changing into the Boston Bruins just because we haven't won the Cup in a few years.  I've always hated the "big for big's sake" argument because it willfully ignores the fact that we're a skilled team that wins more often than everybody else, and it's not like there's ANY correlation between the size of your team and how much success you have (Anaheim).

Also, Chicago ain't all that big either.  Their biggest guys where all on the bench when we played them, and the remainder (outside of Bickell) are the same size, or smaller, than our fowards.  Here's their roster, check it out.  They're by no means a "big bodied" team.  http://espn.go.com/n...cago-blackhawks

Edited by kipwinger, 06 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."