• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#121 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, no way in hell.  He basically established himself as a poor man's version of David Clarkson.  Granted, he has very little previous track record to back that up, and by "poor man" I mean "guy who will still make at least $3 million next year", but yeah.

Bickell's stock went WAY up these Playoffs.  All that stuff that LGW'ers claim Jordin Tootoo does for Detroit (or, um, would do if he wasn't a healthy scratch), Bickell actually DOES, and he did it against Detroit.  6'4", 223lb, the heart to go to the front of the net, and a face that looks simultaneously unhinged and determined at the same time.  Even better, he averages around 40-50 PIM per year, so he seems to avoid the cheap stuff (by and large).

Still, I think the market for him will be so competitive (especially if Clarkson goes first) that whatever price he actually goes for will be a bit too much.

Holy Judas. You think Bickell will make more than Brunner next season?

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#122 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Slow day at work lol

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
David Clarkson ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.501m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.200m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Brendan Smith ($1.200m) / Douglas Murray ($3.500m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,828,379; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,481,621

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#123 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is not the roster I WISH for.  It is my best educated guess as to what Kenny WILL do.  I do not buy for a minute in what he says in regards to keeping Bert and Sammy.  There is simply no room unless we plan on rolling 5 lines.  Cola is not needed now with the addition of Danny D plus Lashoff proving he can at least provide solid depth.  Pay a #7 dman 2.5 mil a season?  I do not see it.  Cola has 1 more year left on his contract so Kenny should be able to deal him for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.  Cleary is loved by both Kenny and Babs.  Anyone who thinks he will NOT be back is in denial.  Miller is cheap depth who Babs loves as well so he will be kept.  Plus Miller wants to be here and will accept any role given to him.  He also knows how many injuries we run into during the season so he will end up getting plenty of ice time.  Emdog will stay because he is young, cheap and insurance for Helm if he cannot play. 

Kenny will certainly make offers for UFAs and explore the compliance buyout market.  However I do not see him signing anyone who can really help us.  We will have plenty of cap space and Kenny will tell us what he always does.  That he will use the cap space at the trade deadline.  The deadline will come and go and the roster will not change.  I learned my lesson last summer in getting my hopes up for UFAs Parise and Suter.  I even hoped we could sign Weber when he would have become a UFA this summer.  But that did not happen.  It is nice for us fans to WANT good players in their prime who can make our team better.  But so do 29 other teams.  Teams overpay for UFAs and teams who are responsible and who build their teams through the draft and do things the right way usually do not make these mistakes.  Kenny will not be dumb and give a guy like Horton 7.5 mil a season on a long term deal plus a no trade clause.  FWIW I see Horton accepting less to stay in Boston.  Why wouldn't he?  I see Clarkson staying in NJ for way more than he is worth.

I hate to be negative but we have to be realistic here.  Look at Kenny's recent track record.  Is there anything over the past 6 summers which would make us believe he will do anything of significance?  I don't mind going with the kids and seeing them improve.  We are a good hockey team.  I believe we will be a Cup contender next season.  I just don't see us acquiring what many Wings fans think we will.   Or hope we will.  Supply and demand.  There is much more demand and too little supply.  GM's who need to make headlines and try and save their jobs will be the ones overpaying for above average 2nd liners in the UFA market.  Kenny is not one of these GMs.[/quote]

Two counter-points

1. Kenny DID try to get all of the players you named but was unable to lure them away. Which brings me to my second point.
2. Now that the league has seen how bright our future is with these young guys.....players will be dying to get BACK to Hockey Town.

We need a sniper for the PP (preferably a big tough Todd Bertuzzi type) and a top line defenseman. I like Clarkson if he is willing to stay out of the Penalty Box. That is all.

#124 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

REALLY slow day

Figured Kenny would want a project so added Whitney lol

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Neal ($5.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
David Clarkson ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.250m) / Damien Brunner ($3.500m)
Danny Cleary ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.550m)
Douglas Murray ($3.500m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Ryan Whitney ($1.000m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,240,000; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $70,000

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#125 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Some of you are assuming a lot in thinking that Clarkson will continue to thrive. Just two seasons ago, he scored only 12 goals.

REALLY slow day

Figured Kenny would want a project so added Whitney lol

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Neal ($5.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
David Clarkson ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.250m) / Damien Brunner ($3.500m)
Danny Cleary ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.550m)
Douglas Murray ($3.500m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Ryan Whitney ($1.000m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,240,000; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $70,000

How do you plan to get Neal and Murray out of Pittsburgh?

#126 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Some of you are assuming a lot in thinking that Clarkson will continue to thrive. Just two seasons ago, he scored only 12 goals.

Could be a later bloomer. Still brings more than just scoring though.

#127 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well I'm not the poster but good chance Murray hits the market but 3.5 for a bottom pairing damn in my mind is too much... Especially when our d wasn't the problem... It was putting the puck in the net.

Also I heard a rumor that Neal could be move to make room for letang... Could you imagine pittburghs d with Martin as their number 1 lol terrible!

#128 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

This is one of the reasons I've said I'd pass on Clarkson. He's going to cash in big time, but I highly doubt he's going to match some of the numbers he's posted. By the admission of several Devils fans over at HF, he's been described as a slow and clunky skater, who will shoot the second he gets the puck - even from impossible angles. On the positive end, he's got a wicked wrister and if a great net-front presence. However, I think for the amount he's going to get paid, plenty of fans around here would lose their patience pretty quick with him.

#129 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Also I heard a rumor that Neal could be move to make room for letang... Could you imagine pittburghs d with Martin as their number 1 lol terrible!

Given the value of Neal's contract, I find that unlikely.

#130 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Given the value of Neal's contract, I find that unlikely.

I understand that but Neal is probably the only signed tradable player on their team. Then you have to ask your self at the end of the day, "what's more valuable to your team?" Neal or Letang? Pittsburgh will be awful if they have to rely on Martin as their main go to on D... Yes highly I likable but probably there beat option...

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I understand that but Neal is probably the only signed tradable player on their team. Then you have to ask your self at the end of the day, "what's more valuable to your team?" Neal or Letang? Pittsburgh will be awful if they have to rely on Martin as their main go to on D... Yes highly I likable but probably there beat option...

The Penguins have plenty of good defense prospects in their system. They're not about to trade away a 40-goal scorer who makes only $5m per year. Letang is more expendable than Neal is at this stage, especially given the ridiculous salary he's likely to demand.

Letang is substantially overrated; he's a one-way defenseman.

#132 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

I head  Neal was possibly being moved, was just playing around on capgeek (I said it was a slow day at work) :blind:

lol not like i really expect any of  that roster to happen was just a thought.... 

Steve Yzerman

#133 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

this is a tad bit off topic, but how did boston manage to get Charas cap hit in the final year drop from 6.9 to 4mil?

http://capgeek.com/player/216

#134 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Penguins have plenty of good defense prospects in their system. They're not about to trade away a 40-goal scorer who makes only $5m per year. Letang is more expendable than Neal is at this stage, especially given the ridiculous salary he's likely to demand.

Letang is substantially overrated; he's a one-way defenseman.

The Penguins are about winning now, they have no desire to wait for their d prospects to mature.  I do agree that Letang is overrated but I don't think they can afford to let him go.  

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#135 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

this is a tad bit off topic, but how did boston manage to get Charas cap hit in the final year drop from 6.9 to 4mil?

http://capgeek.com/player/216

That is the Ilya Kovalchuk rule coming into affect.

Any long term contract (5 Years or more) that extends past the players 40th birthday, will have its cap hit adjusted.

You can read about it here, it actually uses Chara's contract as one of the examples.

#136 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Okay, my turn, I guess.

After reading that article by KHAAAAAAAN, discussing the Wings' options at the draft and the possibility of moving Colaiacovo, Emmerton, or Tootoo and perhaps buying out Bertuzzi or Samuelsson I started to get curious as to what exactly that could look like.

As far as I'm concerned, those are the extra pieces that - with the exception of Tootoo - need trimming, so it was certainly an encouraging article - even if it is all conjecture at this point. 

FORWARDS

Michael Ryder ($3.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) 
Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m) 
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) 
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m) 
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) 

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) 

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m) 
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) 

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 

-
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m) 

--------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $57,813,920; BONUSES: $1,010,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,496,080

I know, it looks just like everyone else's.

Ignore the $7mil+ cap cushion, because I made no attempt to calculate the salaries of the UFA/RFA signings. I'm terrible at that, so there's no point. Feel free to substitute Ryder with any of the power forwards that have been mentioned here throughout the off-season, if you'd like.

In my perfect scenario, Colaiacovo is somehow moveable - perhaps packaged with Filppula's rights - and Sameulsson and Bertuzzi can be bought out. While, I like what Bertuzzi can bring to the line-up; he and Samuelsson are the most obvious buyout candidates and I don't see that changing at any point over the course of the next year.

I've accepted that the fact that this team will likely be unable to acquire a worthwhile defenseman and that they will move forward with the core that we saw in place at the end of last season.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#137 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

My perfect off season would consist of

1. Part with Bert, Sammy, Tootoo, Emmerton, Cola

2. Sign Horton.

3. Trade for Weiss' Rights (4th-7th round pick, whatever it would take) If not, Re Sign Brunner

4. Trade for Bobby Ryan & late round pick (Smith, Jurco, 18th overall this year, 2nd round next year and another late round pick)

5. Sign Zidlicky for depth.

Offensive problems gone. Defense not any worse, although Zidlicky in a career decline should be solid enough.

FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Nathan Horton ($6.250m) 
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.900m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) 
Gustav Nyquist ($1.111m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) 
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.705m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) 
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Marek Zidlicky ($2.850m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) 
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,935,045; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $374,955

#138 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Emdog getting no love. Dang

#139 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Emdog getting no love. Dang

I think just because a recent article stated he may be on the move.

EDIT: Yay 1000 posts!

Edited by SaCkaveli20, 26 June 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#140 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Okay, my turn, I guess.

After reading that article by KHAAAAAAAN, discussing the Wings' options at the draft and the possibility of moving Colaiacovo, Emmerton, or Tootoo and perhaps buying out Bertuzzi or Samuelsson I started to get curious as to what exactly that could look like.

As far as I'm concerned, those are the extra pieces that - with the exception of Tootoo - need trimming, so it was certainly an encouraging article - even if it is all conjecture at this point. 

FORWARDS

Michael Ryder ($3.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) 
Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m) 
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) 
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m) 
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) 

DEFENSEMEN

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m) 
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) 
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) 

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m) 

-

--------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $57,813,920; BONUSES: $1,010,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,496,080

I know, it looks just like everyone else's.

Ignore the $7mil+ cap cushion, because I made no attempt to calculate the salaries of the UFA/RFA signings. I'm terrible at that, so there's no point. Feel free to substitute Ryder with any of the power forwards that have been mentioned here throughout the off-season, if you'd like.

In my perfect scenario, Colaiacovo is somehow moveable - perhaps packaged with Filppula's rights - and Sameulsson and Bertuzzi can be bought out. While, I like what Bertuzzi can bring to the line-up; he and Samuelsson are the most obvious buyout candidates and I don't see that changing at any point over the course of the next year.

I've accepted that the fact that this team will likely be unable to acquire a worthwhile defenseman and that they will move forward with the core that we saw in place at the end of last season.

You used common sense and managed to use your 2 buyouts, 2 signings and you have a Cup contender.  Full points on this one dude.  And I hope like hell that our 3rd line is exactly that next season.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.