Photo
- - - - -

Which UFA would help the Wings the most?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Poll: Which UFA would help the Wings most?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which UFA would you most like to see the Wings sign?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Blood On The Ice

Blood On The Ice

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I too voted for Clarkson. That would be awsome. However, if this Mlive article is correct. There will be no Clarkson. Holland needs to trilm some fat and let some people walk, including Cleary and either Miller or Eaves. They won't have the money to sign Clarkson if they resign Cleary. 

http://www.mlive.com...sign_veter.html

#62 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I too voted for Clarkson. That would be awsome. However, if this Mlive article is correct. There will be no Clarkson. Holland needs to trilm some fat and let some people walk, including Cleary and either Miller or Eaves. They won't have the money to sign Clarkson if they resign Cleary. 

http://www.mlive.com...sign_veter.html

I'm not all Capgeek crazy but if we let Filppula walk, cut Sammy, and sign our essential FA's...how is it we won't have money? If we resign Cleary, which I desperately hope we don't do (sorry Dan, its time for us to move on), it should be for dirt cheap anyway...the guy doesn't have a spot to play in anymore.

#63 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Zetterberg, Dasyuk, Brunner, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson are or need to be constant top 9 guys all year.

That leaves two spots in the top 9 which Abby arguably may own one of now. The fourth line should not include Dan Cleary, Bertuzzi, or Samuelsson...because, well, because I said so. Emmerton, Eaves, Miller, Helm, and Tootoo can make a good fourth line.

So, its pretty obvious that a physical, scoring winger is the ticket. I voted Clarkson, id take Iginla, and I want Bickell if all else fails. I highly doubt any of that happens though. I see us holding onto Bert until he discintegrates and asking him to do more than he's capable of. We'll probably resign Cleary under the same guise just to piss me off.

#64 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Clarkson. If not Clarkson, Bickell.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#65 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Wait, we can cast more than one vote?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#66 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

I suppose the Stanley Cup final probably will be weighed by some on here as the...

Horton vs Bickell Cup

#67 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

I suppose the Stanley Cup final probably will be weighed by some on here as the...

Horton vs Bickell Cup

Horton just checked out.

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Horton left the game tonight with an (undisclosed?) injury and didn't return.

I notice people here are generally very high on Horton. My feeling is, if we're gonna pay up (read: out the ass) for a power-forward, that power-forward shouldn't be one with serious injury issues.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:46 AM

Also: I've gotta think being an EC team will make us more attractive. (You know what I mean.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#70 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Iginla is not a powerforward at this point in his career but don't let his Pittsburgh stint fool you he is way better than that, their supercoach just missused him. Even with that said, I'd take Clarkson over any of the guys, this has to be one of the worst UFA pools ever but with the Penguins paying up for Malkin I can see us in the hunt for Letang soon

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#71 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Iginla is not a powerforward at this point in his career but don't let his Pittsburgh stint fool you he is way better than that, their supercoach just missused him.Even with that said, I'd take Clarkson over any of the guys, this has to be one of the worst UFA pools ever but with the Penguins paying up for Malkin I can see us in the hunt for Letang soon

I think this is a really good free agent pool. There aren't superstars, but there are a ton of good second line guys. We rarely sign superstars anyway.

Also, it could turn unto a great free agent year with all the potential buyouts. Heatley, Richards, lecavalier(?) Etc...

Edited by wingsfan4795, 13 June 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#72 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Iginla is not a powerforward at this point in his career but don't let his Pittsburgh stint fool you he is way better than that, their supercoach just missused him.Even with that said, I'd take Clarkson over any of the guys, this has to be one of the worst UFA pools ever but with the Penguins paying up for Malkin I can see us in the hunt for Letang soon

I hate Letang. Spot-picking, diving, embellishing piece of sheet.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#73 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Iginla is not a powerforward at this point in his career but don't let his Pittsburgh stint fool you he is way better than that, their supercoach just missused him. Even with that said, I'd take Clarkson over any of the guys, this has to be one of the worst UFA pools ever but with the Penguins paying up for Malkin I can see us in the hunt for Letang soon

Only 2 Wings forwards had more hits than Iggy and he is a better fighter than anyone on the Wings still.

#74 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

i love the idea of bigger, meaner...but the choices are very limited.

im more inclined to replace flip with weiss..

emmerton, cleary, sammy,bertuzzi,tootoo out and burmistrov in....

and add in streit if he denies the flyers.

i would be extremely happy with this set up.

zett/brunner/andersson

pav/burmi/nyquist

franzen/weiss/albinogator

helm?/eaves/miller

tatar

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#75 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

zett/brunner/andersson

pav/burmi/nyquist

helm?/eaves/miller

tatar

weiss and burmistrov? hell yes.

#76 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

i still wouldnt mind ryder. i actually really wanted him 2 years ago. he scored 51 goals in the last 2 seasons with a cap hit of 3.5. thats not too shabby. he also stays healthy having played at least 70 games every year since he got in the league. 

i was a bigger fan 2 years ago when he was 2 years younger. but could still be a quality complimentary player for the top 6. but with all the guys we have under contract and all the young guys we need to cycle in, its probably not worth it. 

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#77 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

zett/brunner/andersson
pav/burmi/nyquist
helm?/eaves/miller
tatar

No offense but this lineup while highly skilled would get easily smocked in the east. MacLaren, Orr, Thornton, Lucic, Prust would be having a free ride everytime they are going to play against the Wings.

Although I agree, the choices are extremely limited but there are at least some, hopefully Holland knows what needs to be done in order to survive the division. I think Burmistrov is KHL bound, Weiss is not a bigtime player and our only two superstars could need some bigtime players or at least some guys who can make room for them, Weiss does neither.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#78 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I don't know why people keep suggesting smaller skilled guys.  Abdelkader obviously doesn't belong in the top 6 but Babcock feels he needs someone bigger and physical there. Tatar, Nyquist and Brunner could have scored a ton with him but they don't get the opportunity because he feels he needs some size and toughness there. We don't need Richards, Weiss, Burmistrov,  Elias, Roy, Bozak, Briere, Boyes, Ribeiro, Ryder... (all these guys don't offer anything we don't already have plenty of and it's only a matter of time before Tatar and Nyquist are regarded as better than most of them anyway maybe even as soon as next year and it wouldn't cost us a big hit against the cap like those guys would)
We either need a power forward, for Babcock to reconsider or a new coach. Having Tatar on Pav's wing instead of Abby would have made that line a lot more productive and Abby on the bottom 6 would have made the bottom 6 more effective and it probabaly would have made the difference between winning and losing against the Hawks.

No offense but this lineup while highly skilled would get easily smocked in the east. MacLaren, Orr, Thornton, Lucic, Prust would be having a free ride everytime they are going to play against the Wings. Although I agree, the choices are extremely limited but there are at least some, hopefully Holland knows what needs to be done in order to survive the division. I think Burmistrov is KHL bound, Weiss is not a bigtime player and our only two superstars could need some bigtime players or at least some guys who can make room for them, Weiss does neither.

They're not that limited.
Iginla, Clarkson, Horton,Bickell, Zubrus, Dupuis and there will be some buyouts.
I would trade Nyquist+ for Panik amd we woiuld still have some cap room to make adjustments if needed.

Edited by Johnz96, 15 June 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#79 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Horton is the best player on the list & the one that could help our team the most, bar none. Now, will the price be too high???? that's the question. However,,, I would take the 5+ that Flip is asking, (send his bags a packing) and then pick up the extra somewhere, if that's what it takes to get Horton.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#80 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

By the way, Bickell has been put back on Shaw line this last game and might have been in game 1 too, and he hasn't been the same offensive powerhouse everyone was worshipping earlier in playoffs.