77 replies to this topic

#1 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association have agreed to make wearing visors mandatory for players who enter the League beginning in the 2013-14 season.

The announcement came following a meeting of the League's Competition Committee at the NHL offices here Tuesday.

Current players can decide on their own if they choose to wear a visor. It's the same procedure the League used when implementing mandatory helmet usage in 1980.

#2 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

And video review on 4 minute high sticks

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#3 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

maybe this will make bert retire

#4 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

maybe this will make bert retire

He's not affected by this.

#5 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Why don't they just go to the college screens? 

U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#6 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Not a big deal, 73% of players voluntarily wear visors already. Before the "let the players do whatever they want" crowd chimes in, explain to me how this is any different than having legal/policy mandated safety gear by your employer depending on your line of work. One difference though... Hockey players are much more valuable. Well, most of them.

#7 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:55 AM

^ Exactly

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#8 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Not a big deal, 73% of players voluntarily wear visors already.

Before the "let the players do whatever they want" crowd chimes in, explain to me how this is any different than having legal/policy mandated safety gear by your employer depending on your line of work.

One difference though... Hockey players are much more valuable. Well, most of them.

I still think it should be the persons choice.

But for insurance reasons and what not that's not the case.

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

No Hit League

NCL N o C hoice L eague

grown up men being told what to wear lmao this league is becoming m,ore and more of a big fat joke.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#10 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

He's not affected by this.

i thought he might be i can remember a game that he used one

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm glad it was grandfathered in.  Sure they're a good thing safety-wise, but if you're not used to playing with them, it can throw you a bit.  They just decided that one area of the plant where I work now requires safety glasses.  I hate the things.  We haven't worn them in that area since we got the machines over 10 years ago, and no one's been hurt. 

But rules are rules and we have the whole OSHA thing to deal with, so we're stuck.  I wish like crazy that they'd been grandfathered in.

I've had to wear them on other jobs and hated them just as bad.  (I also hated prescription glasses, but that's neither here nor there.)  It's different when you get used to doing something without and have to switch to them than if you walk in on your first day and train in seeing things weird, and that's what I think they're addressing here.  Some guys have played for years without them.  No reason to make them re-learn skills that call for exceptional eye-hand coordination.

Hmm... wonder if they'd let me wear a visor instead...

#12 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

This surprises nobody.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#13 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Nothing should ever change.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#14 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Good deal. I wish Yzerman was wearing one in Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals in 2004.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#15 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm fine with it... but a lot of guys will just wear them tilited way up as to make them useless for protection like they do in the minors where they are required.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#16 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

Why don't they just go to the college screens? 

NCAA is/was actually looking at going to 3/4 visors.

I still think it should be the persons choice.

But for insurance reasons and what not that's not the case.

I agree. I wonder what the rate of use would have been if players were offered the choice, but forced to pay for additional insurance themselves. I'm not a fan of the new rule, but if the NHLPA is okay with it, then I can't argue with the decision.

Nothing should ever change.

Kids today...

#17 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

The incoming player opposed to this can just wear his visor like Kronwall so that it covers as much of his face as a hat brim.

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

No Hit League

NCL N o C hoice L eague

grown up men being told what to wear lmao this league is becoming m,ore and more of a big fat joke.

I don't really mean much offense by this, but you are exhibiting a clear lack of understanding of all the factors at play here.

Firstly, this doesn't happen if the Players Association didn't agree to it...they did.

Secondly, if the players were to play for free and waive 100% liability of anyone involved (rink, team, league, etc.), then sure, no one would care, let the guy do what he wants.  HOWEVER, that is not the case.  The players are being paid very significant amounts of money, teams want to protect their investments and rightfully so.  Someone might say they shouldn't care, they have insurance, but that just saves them a bit of money in the future should something happen....it doesn't give them the player back.  Also, if everyone was wearing visors, I'm sure their insurance premiums would decrease.

I'm sorry, but the extreme short-sighted views that grown men should be able to decide (it's their life) annoys me to no end.

#19 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

As opposed to this, in order to reduce facial injuries they could go back to wooden sticks and further limit/enforce the curves on blades in order to reduce the general velocity of the puck.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 05 June 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#20 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

As opposed to this, in order to reduce facial injuries they could go back to wooden sticks and further limit/enforce the curves on blades in order to reduce the general velocity of the puck.

Red X. Slow hockey? Come on.