• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's not fun to be in Marian Hossa's shoes where you're high stick caused the end of someone's career, it can have a traumatic effect on how you go on in life. If a simple rule can cut down on those situations I don't see the big deal about it.

I support visors because vital body function, namely vision. But I think talking about psychological trauma caused caused to a third party is taking this way too far. In my opinion most of that "pain and suffering" stuff your hear about in court verdicts is plain garbage.

#62 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

With the blatant disregard some players show in the use of their use of their sticks, coupled with the blatant inability of some on-ice officials to make the proper call regarding these violations, why wouldn't players want to have a little more in the way of protection?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

This thread is about visors in the NHL.  

That involves a very select group of people in a very specific professional sport.  Keep it about that and not larger social/political commentary. 

Further posts derailing the thread into any political discussion or making personal attacks will be deleted and result in warning/suspension.

#64 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

I also hate the 3 point game inflation

Me too.  Cannot stand it!  A loss is a loss.

A possible alternative I would entertain would be this:

Win - three points

Lose - Zero points

Win in OT\Shootout - Two points

Lose in OT\Shootout - One point

#65 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Me too.  Cannot stand it!  A loss is a loss.

A possible alternative I would entertain would be this:

Win - three points
Lose - Zero points

Win in OT\Shootout - Two points
Lose in OT\Shootout - One point

I would actually like to see 3 on 3 for 5 minutes.

#66 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

I would actually like to see 3 on 3 for 5 minutes.

Then when they getvteo penalties it can be three on one. And our pp still won't score.

#67 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

No biggie, tbh.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#68 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Then when they getvteo penalties it can be three on one. And our pp still won't score.

Even better one on one with Dats playing for Detroit. This I would like to see.

#69 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

If it reduces injuries I am for it, just hope players start thinking more protection = more high sticking. Respect needs to be constant
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#70 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Cleary
Abdelkader-Filppula

The triangle of pure power play offense.

How many "it hopped over his stick" calls can we handle in 2 minutes?

#71 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I don't understand being against this.

the fact that not wearing a visor gives you way better vision.

Posted Image

#72 Davy

Davy

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've did a little maintenance work in some Walmarts. I could be hanging a door or painting a wall, fairly low risk work but it is mandatory to wear gloves, steel toed boots, long sleeved shirt, hard hat, high viz vest and eye protection. I don't have 6'3" 200lb men coming at me with sticks but its designed to help me go home in the same nick I left the house in the morning. It's about changing attitudes, it's unacceptable for people to get seriously hurt in a life changing way in the workplace. Used to be people wouldn't wear their high viz, now you can't get people to take them off. Give the visor rule time, if it helps one guy to be able to see his grand kids and tell them what it was like to be a Wing without being blind in one eye or have a scared face from an errant stick is that not worth it? It's not about dressing like a 9th century Knight, it's about protecting bits of the anatomy that don't get better with rest and recouperation.

#73 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

the fact that not wearing a visor gives you way better vision.

Until you get a stick/puck to the eye.

The vision increase is not that significant, and easily adapted to. It's one thing to ask players that have played without one their whole career to suddenly wear one, it's quite another to keep making younger players wear it. The risk/reward is so evident, that's what makes it tough for a lot of people to understand why people are against visors.

#74 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Until you get a stick/puck to the eye.

The vision increase is not that significant, and easily adapted to. It's one thing to ask players that have played without one their whole career to suddenly wear one, it's quite another to keep making younger players wear it. The risk/reward is so evident, that's what makes it tough for a lot of people to understand why people are against visors.

because we are talking about perfectly trained adults here, they are the players and I would guess that they now exactly what is best for them and what is not.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#75 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

because we are talking about perfectly trained adults here, they are the players and I would guess that they now exactly what is best for them and what is not.

Which is why as a whole the players agreed to implement the new rule about visors.

#76 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is just like people saying that they want a no helmet law when it comes to riding a motorcycle.  These perfectly intelligent and trained adults know the risks.  So there should a no helmet law right?  If someone gets into an accident and has a head injury which puts them in a care facility for the rest of their lives, they will be going after the insurance company, the driver, the state, and everyone else they can get money from.

The problem is that these hockey players are going to be fine with it until one of them takes a stick to the eye and then their career comes to an abrupt end.  Like Manny Malhotra who has played in 9 games since his eye injury and it looks like his career is finished.  He is going to get as much from NHL disability as he can.

There are times when people must be protected from themselves.  Just like people should be forced to wear a helmet when they ride a motorcycle, players should be told to wear visors.  They aren't growing eyeballs in petri dishes, and all it takes is one stick to end your career.  I think that visors, like helmets in the past, should be grandfathered in.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#77 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Around 70% of players are wearing visors already. It seems to increase every year, so I don't feel like mandating players to wear them is necessary.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

This is just like people saying that they want a no helmet law when it comes to riding a motorcycle.  These perfectly intelligent and trained adults know the risks.  So there should a no helmet law right?  If someone gets into an accident and has a head injury which puts them in a care facility for the rest of their lives, they will be going after the insurance company, the driver, the state, and everyone else they can get money from.

The problem is that these hockey players are going to be fine with it until one of them takes a stick to the eye and then their career comes to an abrupt end.  Like Manny Malhotra who has played in 9 games since his eye injury and it looks like his career is finished.  He is going to get as much from NHL disability as he can.

There are times when people must be protected from themselves.  Just like people should be forced to wear a helmet when they ride a motorcycle, players should be told to wear visors.  They aren't growing eyeballs in petri dishes, and all it takes is one stick to end your career.  I think that visors, like helmets in the past, should be grandfathered in.

Exactly