• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

Puck Over Glass

Rate this topic

This is a related rant, but in everything I've read about the proposed rule changes, was there nothing bout getting a rid of this stupid over-the-glass rule?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/hybrid-icing-video-review-for-high-sticking-shallower-nets-to-be-introduced/

OR, if they think it's still necessary to prevent blatant delay of game efforts by the defensive team, why not make it discretionary? If a guy is trying to bounce one off the glass with no pressure on him, and the puck hops up on edge, there's no intent to "delay" the game there or gain an advantage. There's even a built-in disincentive because the faceoff will be in your own zone.

Yes, any discretionary rule has the potential for bad calls, but virtually ALL other penalties are already discretionary.

Guest Johnz96

This is a related rant, but in everything I've read about the proposed rule changes, was there nothing bout getting a rid of this stupid over-the-glass rule?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/hybrid-icing-video-review-for-high-sticking-shallower-nets-to-be-introduced/

OR, if they think it's still necessary to prevent blatant delay of game efforts by the defensive team, why not make it discretionary? If a guy is trying to bounce one off the glass with no pressure on him, and the puck hops up on edge, there's no intent to "delay" the game there or gain an advantage. There's even a built-in disincentive because the faceoff will be in your own zone.

Yes, any discretionary rule has the potential for bad calls, but virtually ALL other penalties are already discretionary.

I think it's a good rule or they would shoot the puck over glass to alleviate pressure as they used to do before the rule was instituted.

I think it's a good rule or they would shoot the puck over glass to alleviate pressure as they used to do before the rule was instituted.

Exactly. There are a lot of stupid new rules (like the "trapezoid") but I don't think the over the glass delay of game is one of them.

I can see where Storm is coming from too though. There are times when a puck clearly just takes a funny bounce off a stick or something and goes out.

Edited by sleepwalker

This individual gets it. The refs already make every other call with discretion so why not this one? Sure, its frustrating when they are inconsistent with every other call on the ice - but its even worse when they call unreasonable delay of game penalties automatically when the play itself would have had little impact on the game itself. Its like a cop-out for the refs when it happens because its just the way the rule is written. In a game where the refs decide to put the whistles away and let things go they aren't able to use discretion on an accidental puck over the glass incident. A failed clear off the boards shouldn't warrant the same penalty (2min) as a boarding call or something legitimate.

I like the rule. Not only has it removed delaying the game as a viable way to alleviate pressure, but it also rewards good forechecking teams, because defenders are more likely to accidentally shoot the puck over the glass when they're being heavily pressured.

I'm sorry but I don't think cases where its accidental warrant a 2min penalty. A lot of the time its bad ice to blame for a puck going over the glass. Why not just raise the glass higher so its harder to put it out of play (I don't actually believe this).

we already lose our minds with discretionary calls, and you want to add another discretionary call for the ref?

i'd rather they make puck over glass like an icing. defensive zone faceoff and no change of players

Well yes, I'd prefer this - that there is no penalty at all. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon with the way the nhl functions.

we already lose our minds with discretionary calls, and you want to add another discretionary call for the ref?

i'd rather they make puck over glass like an icing. defensive zone faceoff and no change of players

Agreed. If I was a ref, I'd hate for them to make this rule discretionary. All they would get would be more s*** from fans and players. I hate that this gives someone a 2 minute penalty but there's no better way to handle it. If they got rid of the rule we would start seeing a lot more pucks flying over the glass.

Should be the same as icing. What is the difference really? Face off in your own zone, no line change. Boom. Still sucks for the defending team, but it isn't screwing them over with a cheap penalty either.

i agree. i think flipping the puck and blasting the puck to the other end of the ice from your own zone are really the same thing

It's still easier to flip the puck over the glass than ice it. Look at penalty killing. Can a team always ice it as easily as flipping the puck of the ice? No, they can't.

The rule is there to prevent it from happening. Make it just an icing and it will happen all the time.

Edited by Z and D for the C

There have been bad calls for delay of game when the puck was deflected out of play....

It is funny to listen to Pierre say that no player is trying to shoot the puck out of play in their defensive zone when it happens, that's because it is a penalty and Pierre is an idiot. If it isn't a penalty you would see that stuff happen left and right. If it becomes a discretionary penalty then it tips it way out of balance of when it should be fairly called and when it should not. The simplest way to avoid such a fiasco is to keep it as a delay of game penalty and suffer the occasional bad call than suffering the alternative.