• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheel91

Blessing in disguise?

Rate this topic

Hi guys, I just wanted to share my opinion (and get your's) of not only this whirlwind of a season - but why I'm more content with our heartbreaking loss as each day passes... I hope it helps you cope too.

First, I just want to say that this season was truly a pleasure to watch even though it ended in OT in a game 7, after being up 3-1 in that series. But the truth is, we should have lost that game at the end of the third and probably overachieved as a playoff team overall. What matters now is what happens moving forward, and know that whoever wins the cup this year will forever have an * placed beside there name due to the lockout.

The first item I take solace in, is that we are now in a much better draft position than we would have been if we scored first in OT last Wednesday night. The final 4 playoff teams draft 27-30 regardless of regular season point totals, instead of 18th (the highest pick we have had since taking Martin Lapointe in 1991). Although this draft is considered top heavy, the pick is still more valuable at 18 as a trade asset or to utilize with the best (european) scouting staff in the NHL... Especially when I start thinking about all of the great players we have drafted since 1991.

Next, the timely elimination also allowed several impact players such as Nyquist, Andersson, And Dekeyser to head back to Grand Rapids and finish off OKC to send our farm team to the Calder Cup Finals for the first time since 1992 (Adirondak). Another positive as any sort of Championship experience makes all of those players better moving forward and collatarally increases there individual value as well. Much easier to include a Jurco, Tatar, Ferrarro in a package for a big name after they are integral parts to a Calder Cup run.

Because of the lockout, we ended our season in the second round at the end of May. Had we moved on, our season could have potentially ended close to July with virtually no time for management to negotiate extensions with any of our free agents before free agency begins. Names including: Filpulla, Cleary, Brunner, Nyquist, Andersson, Smith and Kindl. Completing this process becomes crucial when attracting other potential UFA's wanting to sign with teams that have all of their key pieces locked up... Datsyuk's extension is probably most important when trying to convince a Horton or Clarkson to come here for a few years.

All in all, I think what happened against Chicago was tough to swallow, but probably better for Detroit as an organization moving forward. If we can say that we won a Calder Cup and were one goal away from the Conference Finals in a "rebuilding year" while rostering one of the younger teams in the NHL, (once Bert, White and Sammy are gone), I don't think I'll be complaining, especially one year into the Post #5 era.

What do you guys think?

Love it and completely agree with everything you said, except like Z Winged Dangler said we definitely need to hang on to Jurco. He is going to be an unbelievable player for the Wings in a few years from now. I've watched almost every Griffins playoff game in these playoffs and he has really stood out. Anyone see his game winner lastnight? He comes through center ice with a full head of steam and splits two defenders and snaps a shot short side for the win. Beautiful goal.

Very well said, I love the fact that the post was so positive!

Isn't positive posting a ban-able offese on LGW? Mods... please ban the O.P. :nono:

Maybe there should be a Positive Posting forum for hooligans like this...

Edited by The Secret

Love it and completely agree with everything you said, except like Z Winged Dangler said we definitely need to hang on to Jurco. He is going to be an unbelievable player for the Wings in a few years from now. I've watched almost every Griffins playoff game in these playoffs and he has really stood out. Anyone see his game winner lastnight? He comes through center ice with a full head of steam and splits two defenders and snaps a shot short side for the win. Beautiful goal.

Watching danglers do their thing makes me feel funny like climbing the rope in gym class. I think that's a good thing. Guys like Dats and Jurco and Tavares turning guys inside out is awesome. Ask Logan Couture what it's like to get dangled onto his ass. You just say wow, I got dangle dangled... Other than a massive, clean open ice hit that's about as good as it gets in the NHL is seeing a guy go collect his jock strap.

I like everything but including Jurco in a package deal. He needs to hang out with Dats all summer and work on ice together. He's gonna be an impact player, he just needs Dats to mentor him.

He needs to spend the offseason in the weight room more than anything

Very nicely put except for I am hoping we give our top notch euro scouting staff a break and start working our top notch Canadian scouting staff.... we need to get tougher

Canadian youth hockey players tend to be like Texas youth football players, hyped for years, and rarely any surprises come draft time. There is a reason why there are more Europeans that are draft steals than there are Canadians.

Also this team will be hungrier next year, knowing they so far have been the toughest Chi has seen so far but had the least experience. For people have been following the minor league at least during the playoffs, the future of the Wings is really bright. This team will be scary with Tatar up next year, and if Jurco can continue with his playoff abilities he may force some hands.