• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

If Hossa gets bought out..

Rate this topic

LOL @ thinking that the hawks will buy out hossa.

come on.

lmao, I know - right? I know things are fun to be discussed, but this won't ever happen. He's a huge part of the Blackhawks success.

The Hawks are $4M over the cap for next year, and that's if they let go Handzus, Leddy, Rosival, Emery, Kruger, Stallberg, Meyers and Bickell and replace them with kids on ELCs. And that's with only 21 players signed including no backup goalie.

Not sure where you got that #, but looking at their capgeek page they have about 5 million in space going into next year before buying anyone out.

If they buyout Montador and Olesz, both of whom are either buried in the minors or sitting as healthy scratches they end up having just under 10.5 million in space

That should be enough room to sign a new back-up to replace Emery and to fill the remaining 7 spots on their roster.

Guest Crymson

Not sure where you got that #, but looking at their capgeek page they have about 5 million in space going into next year before buying anyone out.

If they buyout Montador and Olesz, both of whom are either buried in the minors or sitting as healthy scratches they end up having just under 10.5 million in space

That should be enough room to sign a new back-up to replace Emery and to fill the remaining 7 spots on their roster.

All of the people he listed are UFAs. They have $5m with which to fill the roster spots of all of those players.

All of the people he listed are UFAs. They have $5m with which to fill the roster spots of all of those players.

And after using compliance buyouts on Olesz and Montador they will have over 7 million in space to do so.

Capgeek also lists them having several players making less than 1 million who can be buried in the minors with no penalty and others who still have waiver eligibility. (Carcillo, Bollig, Clendening, Morin and Smith).

Jimmy Hayes will likely take the spot of one of the departing UFA's and they should still have 9.2 million in space to fill the other 6 spots. They won't be able to keep all their UFA's but they will be able to keep the ones they want without having to resort to buying out Hossa.

I'm getting it off Capgeek, but I just realised I was looking at Salary Payroll and not Cap Payroll, so they're actually ~$1.5M under the cap with a 21 man roster if they let all the FAs go and replace them with kids/scrubs. So they can keep Hossa, but they'll lose their depth (again)

But of course, the other reason to buy out Hossa is his $5.25M cap hit till he's in his 40s.

The Hawks are $4M over the cap for next year, and that's if they let go Handzus, Leddy, Rosival, Emery, Kruger, Stallberg, Meyers and Bickell and replace them with kids on ELCs. And that's with only 21 players signed including no backup goalie.

And #1 on that list for them to sign is Leddy. So many teams GM's will be standing on the edge of rooftops this summer asking themselves....how did I get here? And then there's the Islanders with their collection of non-active goalies to be at the cap floor.

The question becomes how much do you think these guys will go for:

Bickell

Leddy

Kruger

If we can hammer out a reasonable number for each we will have an idea of their cap situation.

Realistically I think they can make it work and buyout Hossa after next year.

Edit: to make it work they would only be able to buyout 1 player this year and then hossa would be the buyout the following year so we need to keep that in mind.

Edited by dirtydangles

Not sure what you guys are looking at, but their cap space before anything happens for next year is $2,094,872.

6 of their current roster players are set to be free agents.

Yes. And they have 21 player under contract for the next year so they really only required to find a backup goalie. Some of those contracts (5) are small (under $1M) two-way contracts. They can send some of the kids down, which would add some cap space but I do not think they need or even want to resign all their UFAs.

Guest Crymson

And after using compliance buyouts on Olesz and Montador they will have over 7 million in space to do so.

Capgeek also lists them having several players making less than 1 million who can be buried in the minors with no penalty and others who still have waiver eligibility. (Carcillo, Bollig, Clendening, Morin and Smith).

Jimmy Hayes will likely take the spot of one of the departing UFA's and they should still have 9.2 million in space to fill the other 6 spots. They won't be able to keep all their UFA's but they will be able to keep the ones they want without having to resort to buying out Hossa.

Erm, Carcillo is most certainly not waiver-exempt.

Also, the possibility of a buyout was referring to the giant cap hit the Blackhawks would be stuck with were Hossa to retire early. It did not refer to Chicago's cap situation this summer.

Not sure what you guys are looking at, but their cap space before anything happens for next year is $2,094,872.

6 of their current roster players are set to be free agents.

Capgeek currently has Chicago's black aces on their roster, Clendening and Morin being sent back down leaves them $3,689,038. They are also paying a 2.2 million penalty for having Olesz buried in the minors. He will almost certainly be bought out leaving them $5,889,038 in space.

They also have Montador sitting as a healthy scratch, using their other compliance buyout on him puts their cap space at $8,639,038 with 5 spots to fill.

Erm, Carcillo is most certainly not waiver-exempt.

Also, the possibility of a buyout was referring to the giant cap hit the Blackhawks would be stuck with were Hossa to retire early. It did not refer to Chicago's cap situation this summer.

Guys like Carcillo, Smith and Bollig would have to clear waivers to be sent down, but there would be no penalty for sending them down like there was with Olesz which is what I said in the post you quoted.

To address your last point, that may have been the article's reasoning for buying out Hossa and a line of reasoning that makes far more sense to me but I was addressing Nev's post that the Hawks were 4 million above the cap, and that they didn't have the the money to sign any of their free agents without buying Hossa out.

Pretty sure they'd trade him first...

HEY! Trade Franzen for Hossa! :ninja::D

Seriously though, I think the trade option is similar to us trading Franzen....it's just too long of a contract that he probably won't be finishing before he retires, and nobody would want to take on that contract considering the penalty they will incur with him retiring early. So much like Franzen, the only two options are to buy him out, or just keep him. The buyout is a possibility for both, but I doubt it happens...

But since the OP was posing just a hypothetical question asking "IF" Hossa got bought out, he never said it was going to happen, which is why I laugh at the people who made comments like "get real" "have some sense" "are you dumb?" It was just a hypothetical scenario...my answer is yes, IF Hossa got bought out, I would love to see him back in a Wings uniform. But he is hardly the complete answer to our issues. He would help offensively for sure, but we would need another top 6 scorer IMO to put us in that Stanley Cup Stratosphere and since Hossa wouldn't cost too much money, couples together with some strategic buyouts and a trade or two, we would still have way enough cash to get another $7M player.

That being said, I would be very surprised it they do buy him out...but I would love it!

Edited by LeftWinger

I could go on for days about how unreasonable fans are about Hossa - it isn't any fundamentally different than people who still wear Shanahan jerseys (he did play for New York after us, or do people forget that?).

I like Hossa as much as the next guy likes Hossa - but comparing a Hossa Wings jersey to a Shanahan Wings jersey? Shanahan helped us win three Cups. He'll always be remembered as a Red Wing. Hossa was here for a very, very brief time.

Just sayin'.

Even more reason not to boo Hossa! It was always likely that he would only be here for 1 season. The better comparison for Shanny is Feds. Shanahan turned down the same amount of money from the wings to move to NY to build his post-playing career (and he was quite honest about that) but Wings fans give him a free pass.

Even more reason not to boo Hossa! It was always likely that he would only be here for 1 season. The better comparison for Shanny is Feds. Shanahan turned down the same amount of money from the wings to move to NY to build his post-playing career (and he was quite honest about that) but Wings fans give him a free pass.

Shanny was so old and slow and lazy by that point. IMHO.

Devils got a lot of cap space. And Kovalchuk played well for them so far. Devils struggled when he was injured this spring. So I would say this is an unlikely buyout and an expensive one.

Ahh, but factor in that they do not like to spend and have been (and still are I believe) in financial distress.

That would be a nice thread subject too....What would you give up for Kovalchuk? You mentioned the impending retirement of Broduer, they could bite at Mrazek too... (not straight up of course...)

edit: in all honesty, they do need some cap relief...they only have 6 forwards and 6 defensemen signed with $26M in Capspace....$26M sounds like a lot, but it could disappear quickly when you have to sign 8 forwards and a D...that is an average $2.8M per player, and it todays market, that is a lot of average to below average players or tons of prospects!

Edited by LeftWinger